Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Slug
    United Kingdom 

Smartphone Pack?

Can somebody tell me the ‘smartphone pack’ is that I keep reading about on this great forum please.
    It doesn’t seem to be an option when I configure a build.
    Just wondering what it is and it’s features.
    Cheers guys.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

The smartphone pack was only launched recently. Im sure it is now on the build configurator when you order a new car.

Here is a link although some dealers have done it for free:
    https://gear.landrover.com/gb/en/range-rov...roid-auto/

If you have In control Pro V 18C or upwards the smart phone pack is supported in these software versions. Anything earlier you will need to get in control pro software updated first before enabling smarthone pack.

It basically adds Android auto and Apple car play for your car.

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/

https://www.android.com/auto/
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Maybe it’s because I don’t use a mobile more than a few times per year, but I fail to see why people get excited over this.
  • Rikster23
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

CarPlay is really great. That's probably the main reason for getting excited, not the actual phone part, which is perfectly fine through ICTP.

I can't say I have used Android Auto as I only have apple phones, but CarPlay allows you to use the Apple Music app, Google Maps, Spotify, Siri, Iplayer Radio, BBC Sounds etc...

Cheers

Rik

MY2019 HSE Luxury 3.0 SDV6 - Corris grey, Dynamic Pack, Black contrast roof, Adaptive Dynamics, Electric Tow Pack
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Siri works very well for dictating messages and also reading out messages. Apple Maps uses TomTom's traffic data and highlights traffic issues faster than the built it LR sat nav I find.

Waze is also pretty good though its graphics are a bit clunky.

BBC Sounds doesn't support CarPlay yet though and doesn't appear on my CarPlay home screen.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I agree with the OP. When I ordered recently, it was not on the configurator and it was not advertised or offered in the sales process. I got the dealer to add it a pre-delivery in the end through a s/w update after they had tried to deny its existence. The LR product management leaves a lot to be desired.

Andrew
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Dangerdave wrote:
    Maybe it’s because I don’t use a mobile more than a few times per year, but I fail to see why people get excited over this.

I suspect direct access to the Music app in the car headunit will be very useful, but the killer app for me is Waze. It's a much better navigation aid than any OEM one (I'm comparing directly with BMW iDrive with RTTI). It's rerouting in urban situations is sensationally good and has saved me many hours of queuing in the past few months. Having Waze in the headunit is something that I am genuinely looking forward to.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

chaos_theory wrote:
    I agree with the OP. When I ordered recently, it was not on the configurator and it was not advertised or offered in the sales process. I got the dealer to add it a pre-delivery in the end through a s/w update after they had tried to deny its existence. The LR product management leaves a lot to be desired.

Agree on their PM abilities!

I did the opposite and begged for it to be added at cost to my order form, which felt slightly odd having read all the posts of it coming free with version upgrades on here. But better safe than sorry!

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Have just seen the MY2020 specifications that NightFox kindly provided and both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are listed as included on every model.

• Labbix

Hi Equilibrium, can you give the link for these MY20 specs or pm me?

Thx
  • Labbix

Just saw the Dropbox file, so thx!
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Can this be added retrospectively to a September 2018 build vehicle?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Yes I have had added to my March 2017 HSE a few weeks ago.

You may even get it free if you complain about issues with the software! Laughing
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Oh great! So to clarify, that gave you Android Auto and Apple Carplay...?

Any idea what they charge if not free?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Probably whatever it says on the price list for Smartpack
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum