Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• melania
    United Kingdom 

Ohhh.... Soooo want a D5 BUT!!

Hey Guys. I've been following this thread trying to suss out whether I should risk purchasing a D5. Currently driving a 2015 Audi Q7 but would love to purchase a D5 mainly for the added room as I need 7 seats and have a teen in the 3rd row most days and just love the new meaty looking design. I was initially looking a 2017 HSE or HSE lux with dynamic pack (love the black vents and grille) and had one picked out then came across some threads describing the FIO issue and I'm now nervous lol! My husband has refused for years to buy another LR after owing a Freelander about 12 years ago which spent most of its time in the garage. I've now persuaded him to give the Discovery a chance but if I end up with these issues I'm toast! Our local LR dealer is about 70 miles away so can't just call in every month for an oil change. To summarise I'm getting that a MY2018 within the VIN range of N222 can be 'fixed' with the software update. Hauser has, I think, a 2017 which he seems to think is now fixed with software upgrade. Is this correct? Also, does this issue seem to happen with all 2017's with the TD6 engine or just some of them.... I am thinking of the 3.0 as we tow a caravan most weekends so would be presuming we would need more than the 2.0L. Anyone any words of wisdom cause I so want one lol?... Confused
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

if only it was so simple....

I have a 2017 Td6 HSE. When I got it at 14 months old and 7,300 miles, it had already had its first service at 6900 miles (which was 12 months). I then ran it for 6000 miles and it asked for an oil change (would have been 6700 since previous one). That was completed in January 2019 along with the N241 DEF update. It has not had any different use in the last 3 months than it did in the first 4 months I had it, it has now covered 4,200 miles since I got it back and is saying 12,000 miles to the next service.

Thus whatever the dealer did seems to have cured any early oil change issue with my car, however I have seen others on the D5 Facebook group who are getting 2,000 miles between oil changes, there doesn't seem to be a pattern that I have seen, some 2017 and 2018 cars want early oil changes, others did and no longer do after updates and some never asked for it at all. Oh and to add to that the dealers claim there is no fix for the 2017 cars, yet they have fixed mine so far.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Well this thread has been running for nearly 2 years and the later posts are much more positive!

My March 2017 was one of the first cars and does seem to be fixed now. If you buy one then make sure ALL updates have been applied before you take delivery.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

My SD6 is almost at 10,0000 miles now and has not needed anything except fuel, washer fluid and adblue. It's still on schedule for its first service at 1 year old (just under 16,000 miles). Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I am remaining cautiously optimistic, but the last time I was in at my dealer in January for an early service, I received a Powertrain Control Module update N241. I didn't see it on TOPIX at the time. It's currently listed as "Service Action: Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Malfunction Warning Message".

Since then, my oil service distance counter has been dropping much, much more slowly - I may get 10-12,000 miles out of this interval at the current rate, which would be quite acceptable to me. This was the *only* update they provided that involved the engine or engine management. N222 was *never* offered in the NAS market as far as I can tell.

We still only get the Td6 engine here - the SDV6 has not been slated for US release yet, and maybe never will be.
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

First post for me. I currently have a Disco Sport and I keep wondering whether to swap up for a Disco5. I got a link here after being on the oil contamination thread on the disco sport forum!

I have a few questions which I am struggling to understand from this thread.

How do I distinguish a MY 17, 18, 19 model? The only difference I have noticed is they either have analogue clocks or once on the 18plate, the virtual dashboard.

Is there a fix for the MY17 service occurring too soon, and does it work? Or am I better looking for a MY18/19 model with the TDV6? Does the SDV6 have the same issues?

The Ingenium engine, does this suffer the same lack of passive regeneration as the TD4 in the DiscoSport due to a silly positioning of the DPF, or does the twin turbo SD4 and DPF location resolve that?

Lastly, is there a service reset procedure if I wanted to do my own interim oil services like I do with my DS? The DS was a combination of pedals, doors and bonnet.

I noticed that someone asked how often the engine regenerates, the answer is a long one! I haven't measured it continuously yet using data from the engine, however I have seen some data which shows around 200mile (or less) for the TD4 on the DS, and that was motorway driving! Driving style will influence how quickly the soot collects in the DPF, but mostly, if you for example are driving around town stopping/starting DURING an Active regeneration then the DPF will not completely empty and will stop the regen cycle around 30% soot load. Compare that to driving on the motorway and an Active Regen cycle starts, if you continue on the motorway without stopping then the regen cycle will reduce the soot load all the way down to about 10%, so that is 20% of your regeneration time problem. The other is with short journeys the engine will not start the cycle usually until at least 5 minutes after start, whether it is warm or not, so if you keep doing short journeys (<10mins) then you will keep loading soot into the DPF and not allow it to clear (often it takes 20mins to complete a regen). There are lots of parameters about whether the car will regenerate or not, but easy ones to note are it can't have any engine caution lights and often needs to have more than 25% fuel in the tank, so if you're doing short journeys when low on fuel with a caution light on the dash, you will be getting towed to a garage pretty quick! I had read in the engineering notice circulating that the regeneration of the TDV6 takes longer due to slower heating, but it wasn't clear to me if this was talking about an Active (post fuel injection) or a passive (natural DPF heating from exhaust)

I still help out quite a bit on the VAG forums and on the EA189 fix reversal (think the 2017 Evoque DPF problems but throw in an EGR and turbo seals and injectors as well for good measure, and a parent company that flat denies there is a problem and does everything as 'good will'). We receommend using an app called VAGDPF which monitors the regeneration and EGR of the engine via an ELM327 like the Carista, sadly its Android only and VAG cars only.

I noticed recently that Torque Pro App can show DPF inlet temperature, I have not tried it on the LR yet, but it could be a good way to monitor what your DPF is up to, (if DPF inlet temp suddenly increases to around 600c then an active regen has begun).

Below is a screenshot of VAGDPF. It also shows the EGR cycling, as well as post injection, but it also helpfully shows how full your DPF ash load is (around 70g is the end of life for a VAG).

Last edited by globalste on 2nd May 2019 7:23 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

MY19 cars were first in the road in September so will be 68 plate or later (there may also be old stock which was registered later so don't rely solely on the registration) they will also have the SD6 badge on the back. If you look under the bonnet, there is an air intake and filter on both sides of the engine bay, the older TD6 only has air from one side.

No one has reported the oil dilution problem with the SD6.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

According to JLR there is no cure for a 2017 because the hardware (computers) dont allow it, but there is for a 2018 N222.

Having said that, following a DEF update, quite a few 2017 drivers are now seeing normal projected service intervals of 16k. Some i believe are not.

As an example this week mine has done 9 journeys a day of under 5 miles. It will then do a long journey at the weekend and it is still eroding miles to give a projected service at 16k (having so far completed 4500 in the 3 months since last oil change) So for my car it seems fixed

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Brilliant, this helps quite a lot on which model to buy then, I will probably look for the 18/19 model unless the SD6 suddenly appears on the approved used market.

Is it the same SD6 engine that is in the RR Sport?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My personal experience with my MY17 is that there is little to no actual fuel in oil dilution occurring, based on oil testing. I too had the DEF update in January and my oil service life will likely get me to 12,000 miles this interval, whereas previously I was seeing around 4500 between services, despite the oil being perfectly fine.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

globalste wrote:
    Brilliant, this helps quite a lot on which model to buy then, I will probably look for the 18/19 model unless the SD6 suddenly appears on the approved used market.

Is it the same SD6 engine that is in the RR Sport?

There are quite a few SDV6's in the approved used market.

Hopefully picking mine up within the next couple of weeks Very Happy
  • Craigp
    England 

Just taken my 3 litre my17 car in for 2nd annual service. Must admit things seem to be getting better. I had a interim oil service in February of this year. Since then i have drove 2084 miles, the distance to next service has dropped by 2750 so slightly more but should see me through to a year between services. At around 10000 a year.
  • Francesco
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Farallon Black

I have a 3.0 of 2017. I have always had problems reducing the distance before the oil change and the AdBlue. I did the coupon at the beginning of April: the LR dealership has downloaded many upgrades. I have to do a more precise check but from the car computer it seems to me that the situation has improved. I had noticed in recent months that the problem was very noticeable if you travel short distances or you use mainly in the city.

First edition farralon black
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Re: JLR Diesel Dilution

It's been revealed that JLR always knew about the engineering issues which cause excessive oil dilution and DPF clogging on the EU6 diesels. Someone thoughtfully coined the term "driving style" as a way for dealers to deflect attention away from the unresolved engineering "challenges", conveniently pushing the blame back onto owners.

The D8 chassis SUVs are known to have the worst problems with DPF clogging and oil dilution according to JLR. This is because the forward bulkhead is too tight on the transverse engine for the DPF to fit straight onto the turbo, as on Jaguar XE: therefore it lives under the floorpan more than 2 feet further back. Discovery 5 and other D7u cars were not expected to suffer as badly from dilution but the V6 is not totally in the clear because its DPF, though tightly coupled to the DOC (same can), is still not ideally positioned relative to the heat source (turbo outlet).

On the DS and Evoque they are rolling out a software "enhancement" to increase the dilution threshold on all vehicles to 10% which will help quieten down customer complaints and reduce the number of rejections. JLR seems to have little or no interest in the predictable long-term effects of diesel dilution, presumably because these will mainly present outside of the warranty period. As if to underline this interpretation, the second-hand warranty period has just been cut to 12 months (from 1st Sept 2019), further reducing JLR's liability for DPF and lubrication-related problems.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9522

• lrgcoffee
    United States 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Scotia Grey

Woefully uneducated dealer

I have a TDV6 in a MY19 Disco. Like many here, I had the early service due message at 5K miles, 3 months after taking delivery. My dealer told me it was because the vehicle was put into service a year before the message appearing, and that it only appeared because a year had elapsed. The only problem with that was the car came off production in January 2019. I first saw the message in June 2019.

I've pressed the dealer on the details of JLRP00100. Specifically, that oil dilution can be a cause of the early service due message. The dealer will not consider anything in that bulletin as applicable to my car because it only applied to MY16/17.

Furthermore, the dealer advised me that the service due logic on the D5 ONLY uses mileage and time in deciding when to put up the service due message. They claim that there is no process in the system that calculates oil dilution to produce the service due message.

I believe that to be extraordinarily misleading or misinformed.

Is there any document that I can use to educate my dealer? I've searched Topix, but cannot locate anything explaining how the service due message is triggered. JLRP00100 does seem to indicate that calculated oil dilution is a trigger, but my dealer won't look at that doc because they claim it has no applicability to my car.

I'm beyond annoyed at jlr and their dealer on this topic. They clearly want to make this as frustrating as possible to me, presumably with the expectation that they will wear me out so I will go away.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum