Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Cradgebank
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) S Corris Grey

D5 Winch Instalation

Fitted a Wild Bear winch tray to my D5.

The winch tray is nicely made, however rather disappointingly the kit comes without any fitting instructions, so I have tried to document the install to help anyone who would like to fit a similar kit.

Firstly, jack up the car and remove the front wheels.

Remove the Front mini mud flap and front wheel arch liner (Both sides)

Unclip the front half of the wheel arch moulding.

Then remove 3 x 6mm Bolts that secure the front bumper to the front wing (Both sides)

Remove the recovery hitch plastic panel.

Remove 4 Screws that hold the top of the bumper, once removed the bumper should be free and can be removed by pulling forward. Depending on model the Fog light and screen washers etc will need unplugging.

Next remove the Bumper Armature.

The Wildbear kit comprises simply of 3 parts, right and left mounting brackets that pick up the original Armature mounting points and a winch tray that connects the brackets together. The winch then mounts to the tray and reversesal of the bumper removal can be carried out.

An issue I found with the Wildbear Mounts was that they do not have angle brackets fittted at the top and bottom to pick up the bottom tow hitch / protection bar mountings and the top landing panel mounts. To overcome this I had to cut the brackets off the bumper armature which was quite drastic.

There are two spacers that mount on the front of the winch tray that the fairlead bolts to once the bumper is refitted.

I could have just cut a slit for the rope to feed through the fairlead and it would have looked neater but I opted to cut the top out of the bumper so I can see the winch rope to ensure it spools correctly.

My winch is a David Bowyer TDS and did have the solenoid pack fitted to the top of the motor, this had to be removed and relocated as there isnt enough clearance between the winch and the landing panel.

All considered I am pleased with the install.

Just as an aside, I spoke with my Insurer's (Hastings) before installing the winch and they would not accept the modification, underwritters said if I needed a winch then I intended doing extreme off roading which they don't want to cover !!, needless to say a 5 minute call to Lancaster Insurance and they where very happy to accept a winch fitted vehicle.

Last edited by Cradgebank on 22nd Jun 2019 6:58 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

That looks like a big chunk of bumper cut out?
    Was that a home made mount or one by someone

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Cradgebank
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) S Corris Grey

That looks like a big chunk of bumper cut out?
    Was that a home made mount or one by someone

You replied before I had finished my post !!.

I purposely cut out the Top of the bumper so I can see the winch rope spooling evenly.

Kit is supplied by Wild Bear.
  • Labbix

Looks neat to me and very well done! Enjoy the off roading, extreme or not Wink
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I gather its mot friendly then?
    Just out of curiosity how much was it?

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Nice one. Great to see some decent mods at last!

Thanks for the in-depth post!

cant help wondering how many of these we'll be seeing in 20 years time jacked up to the nines with huge tyres etc like the old D1 and 2s round here.. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Nicely done!! I want to do the same on my D5, but have you any ideas how I would be able to do it with the Front camera?
  • D5Dodge
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Farallon Black

Hi neighbour Wink
    Where abouts in Notts are you.? I’m near the M1 & A52 @ junction 25. I’d love to see this for real sometime.. Bow down
  • the_lincs_landies
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

nebc100 wrote:
    have you any ideas how I would be able to do it with the Front camera?

Same question from me please Very Happy

Looks great, but I think I'd want the winch to come out of the existing "hole" personally, a bit like how the "discreet mount" by Wildbear is marketed.

IG: @the_lincs_landies
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Mine was done about 2 years ago now.

I used the WildBear D5 discreet winch mount.

It comes out a bit lower then the one in this thread, but the advantage is that the camera etc stay in the same place.

You have to trim the bumper vers slightly, but not much.

I am very happy with it!! The ONLY issue that I have is that on my D5 (MY 2017), the ACC radar sensor is not the same as on the new models, and it hits slightly against my winch. Consequently, I had to raise it up a bit to be able to clear my winch, and now it sometimes gives a "radar blocked" error, and resets my ACC.

I am going to try and get a different mount made that will bring the sensor back in to alignment again, and then the issue should be resolved.
  • the_lincs_landies
    United Kingdom 

thanks for sharing this info Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

My D5 (MY2017) doesnt have ACC, and tbh I dont have much need for it so with any luck I can use the discreet mount (when back in stock) and then not need to worry about camera. Thanks again

Next question would be, how are people running wiring?

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Wiring is not hard.

I took mine up behind the right hand headlight.

I have a secondary battery installed there (Wildbear extra battery tray) and have a battery isolator installed to charge it.

I have a disconnection switch there also to completely disconnect the winch to avoid battery drain.
  • the_lincs_landies
    United Kingdom 

Thats really helpful to know, thanks! Is your split charge just connected to the "jumper" points under the hood for the starter battery?

I was going to use those with an isolator in line to the winch, but now you mention it i like the idea of a secondary battery for auxiliaries like the winch etc.

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Yes… the battery on connected to the jump starting points.

As I said… I also have a isolator and a cutoff switch. The isolator is between the battery and the main electrical system of the D5

The cutoff switch is between the winch and the battery.
  • the_lincs_landies
    United Kingdom 

Thats great, thanks for the info. At least I now sort of know my plan should work when I get to it!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum