Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Towing mirrors

what towing mirrors do people use on their D5? Mine are 9 year old Milenco, but they don't fit to the top due to the curve of the mirror, so need to fit them to the bottom. They have fallen off twice and the clamps hit the metalwork when the mirrors fold, hence thinking maybe I need some new mirrors.....that actually fit lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Milenco ones but I have brought the specific LR pads for the new mirrors for about £10. I have also fitted a piec of old push bikje inner tube over the other half of the clamp and not had any issues

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

do you fit them to the top or bottom?

have to admit I can't find my mirrors on the website, so assume they no longer make the ones I have (they came with the caravan)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

top from memory

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Sounds like you have the old milenco ones with the fixed brackets. You need the newer ones with the brackets that swivel as these then fit the top of the mirrors. And then also do the inner tube mod so that they stay put.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Aero pads for LR

I bought some LR specific pads with a rubber lip that’s supposedly fits the recess between mirror housing and trim. Trouble is...the D5 mirror trim is tapered so they only fit at the thin end. (See photo). Milenco tech director is phoning me next week to tell me how to fit their mirrors. That will be interesting. 😆
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Mine seem to fit OK

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

my LR specific Milenco pads ones are like wolfpacks - only one on each side of the car manages to make it into the grove, at the thin end of the mirror surround, so I fitted a standard flat pad where the wider part is - then you have the bext of both worlds

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

+1 for that Al. I have done exactly the same.

Jon
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

And they stay on alright? Towing 1100 miles next week first time with Milenco Aeros

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

Yes fine. TBH never really had a problem with the flat pads only but it does feel more secure with a ridged one on each side.

Jon
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Having had my old Smat ones fall off 4 times in one journey and twice in another (had no issues on previous car) am a bit nervous since the only reason we still have the SMAT ones is due to the rubber strap that goes around the back, which the Milenco doesnt have

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

as the D5 has the same door mirrors as the MY16 D4, I have towed about 2000 miles with the milenco's fitted at the top of the miirors on the D4 and now D5, and even with the flat pads and they havnt moved at all (but that is with the slight mod using the inner tube trick on the opposite side of the clamp to the pads on the fixing brackets to stop it sliding) Thumbs Up

Al

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Milencos solution...

Is to butt both clamps up together at the thin end! Laughing

I’m not sure they understand the increased vibration along a cantilevered bar without a prop!

I didn’t have an inner tube but I bought a 99p square of 2mm rubber of eBay cut pads for the underside of the clamp and thin strips for the edges of the screw down clamp, All superglued in place and ready for testing. This means my modified clamp can be set well away from the inner clamp to reduce vibration.

Incidentally Milenco now supply clamps with the inner tube glued on the underside....so they got THAT message.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

both clamps together - thats daft - get them as waid aprt as you can - I think given the curve mine are about 10cm apart and I am also using the extened arms as my 'van is 8Ft wide - no movement at all with this setup Thumbs Up

Al

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum