Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• lrgcoffee
    United States 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Scotia Grey

More woefully uneducated dealers

After my dealer tried to convince me that my understanding of how the service due indicator works was incorrect (they maintain that it is only a function of time & mileage - there is no oil dilution value), I decided to try another dealer. This second one is about 3 hours from my home.

The second dealer advised me that the DPF filter would be changed at every annual maintenance interval. They also advised me that my early service due indicator was a result of my having driven the car too hard.

After hearing that the second dealer would be changing my DPF out as part of my regular maintenance, I decided to move on to dealer number 3.

The third choice was further away, but they were at least conversant on high-level diesel care. They knew the difference between DPF and DEF. Unfortunately, they advised me that, unless I was driving 10 miles @ 30 miles per hour, with no stopping, EVERY DAY. Otherwise, they advised me, I would have to bring the car in regularly to have them clean out the DPF. Their explanation was closer to the truth than what the other two said, but it fell apart when they told me that 10 miles @ 30mph every day was necessary because, "that's when the DEF fluid can do its thing and clean the filter". SMDH

Is there a COMPETENT and/or HONEST JLR dealer service department anywhere? My experience with these 3 clownshows makes me question if they are capable of airing my tires correctly. I have no desire to trust my $85K vehicle to this level of incompetence.

I'm in full panic mode now. Who can I trust?
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I'm sorry to hear you are having such difficulties. We complain about some of our dealers but I guess we have a lot of choice in a relatively small distance.

The concensus seems to be that, yes you do need a regular decent run in the car to ensure the dpf can regenerate, and if this process is interrupted too many times, the software estimates an amount of oil dilution (incorrectly according to those who have tested their oil at that stage). Unfortunately it can still trigger the early service / oil change. Most seem to have had the issue resolved with a software update, which we assume alters the way these calculations are done, and they now get 12mths or stated mileage between services. Whether this is a fix or hiding a real issue will probably only show as the engines age.

Not sure if your dealers are in denial, or just have no idea. Good luck.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

There are several owners from the USA on this web site and maybe you are near one of them.
    It's a long shot but maybe start a post appealing to other USA owners, rather than this old thread?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Re: More woefully uneducated dealers

lrgcoffee wrote:
    After my dealer tried to convince me that my understanding of how the service due indicator works was incorrect (they maintain that it is only a function of time & mileage - there is no oil dilution value), I decided to try another dealer. This second one is about 3 hours from my home.

The second dealer advised me that the DPF filter would be changed at every annual maintenance interval. They also advised me that my early service due indicator was a result of my having driven the car too hard.

After hearing that the second dealer would be changing my DPF out as part of my regular maintenance, I decided to move on to dealer number 3.

The third choice was further away, but they were at least conversant on high-level diesel care. They knew the difference between DPF and DEF. Unfortunately, they advised me that, unless I was driving 10 miles @ 30 miles per hour, with no stopping, EVERY DAY. Otherwise, they advised me, I would have to bring the car in regularly to have them clean out the DPF. Their explanation was closer to the truth than what the other two said, but it fell apart when they told me that 10 miles @ 30mph every day was necessary because, "that's when the DEF fluid can do its thing and clean the filter". SMDH

Is there a COMPETENT and/or HONEST JLR dealer service department anywhere? My experience with these 3 clownshows makes me question if they are capable of airing my tires correctly. I have no desire to trust my $85K vehicle to this level of incompetence.

I'm in full panic mode now. Who can I trust?

how many miles are you getting between "oil service required"?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • lrgcoffee
    United States 

@mordred1973

I’m seeing around 5K miles.

I get on the freeway once every 1-2 weeks and run at 80-90 mph for at least an hour.

I felt like that was enough until hearing that I needed 10 mins a day(which I think is complete rubbish)
  • Labbix

The freeway run every 1-2 weeks should definitely be enough, although I have a MY18 TD6 and absolutely do not do the long runs frequently I don’t have the warnings anymore after the software update.
    FWIW: In reality it actually contradicts with the first months of the vehicle where I only did long runs, but did get the warning. As said this was before the software update.
    Main difference I see is that I drove it mainly slowly (low rpm) and in ‘D’, where now I mostly drive in ‘S’ and do more often full throttle until l reach the official speed limits (mostly 90 km/h and some highways 110 km/h). Add blue usage did increase a lot of course.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

mine was originally making it to 6000 between oil changes. it had the N241 update in january 2019, since then the useage hasn't materially changed, some days it does 10 or more journey's below 3 miles. Since the update I have covered 13,000 miles in 8 months.

Now it is on target to reach 16000 miles between services. As was said earlier, either the software update fixed a poor calculation in the original software, or it is masking the issue. (I have LR warranty to 4 years old so if the engine goes bang before 60,000 miles it will be a warranty issue)

As Labbix says, the Ad Blue consumption has increased a bit since the software update, but the stuff is dirt cheap and considerably cheaper than 2 extra services...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • lrgcoffee
    United States 

Labbix wrote:
    The freeway run every 1-2 weeks should definitely be enough, although I have a MY18 TD6 and absolutely do not do the long runs frequently I don’t have the warnings anymore after the software update.
    FWIW: In reality it actually contradicts with the first months of the vehicle where I only did long runs, but did get the warning. As said this was before the software update.
    Main difference I see is that I drove it mainly slowly (low rpm) and in ‘D’, where now I mostly drive in ‘S’ and do more often full throttle until l reach the official speed limits (mostly 90 km/h and some highways 110 km/h). Add blue usage did increase a lot of course.

I got the 100K mi extended warranty on mine, so I also have some ease of mind, but I suspect that an engine failure would manifest beyond 100K miles.

I also drive with a large amount of manual shifting, mainly using downshifts to take some load off my brakes, but also to accelerate in and out of traffic.

While the downshifting drives my average RPMs up, I'm curious if that does anything for dpf regens? It doesn't burn fuel, but I believe it does turn the turbo which should move air through the system and maybe aid with combustion in the dpf?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

JLR offer 3 years warranty form new in the UK with no mileage limit, after that you have to exte4nd it yourself for approximately the cost of a new drivers first car per year (£900-1100)

I managed to get the dealer to throw the 4th year at me for their appaling service, then we will see if I keep it beyond the 4th year.

• lrgcoffee
    United States 

Source on this "JLR Architecure" communication?

Does anyone know the source of this letter? It doesn't have a date or reference number. I'm working with a dealer who is immediately skeptical of anything I bring to him. He regularly admonishes me about believing what I read on the internet.

This appears to be a legitimate communication, but it will help me with forcing my dealer to acknowledge its contents if I could give them sourcing.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9522
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

lrgcoffee wrote:
    Labbix wrote:

I got the 100K mi extended warranty on mine, so I also have some ease of mind, but I suspect that an engine failure would manifest beyond 100K miles.

I also drive with a large amount of manual shifting, mainly using downshifts to take some load off my brakes, but also to accelerate in and out of traffic.

While the downshifting drives my average RPMs up, I'm curious if that does anything for dpf regens? It doesn't burn fuel, but I believe it does turn the turbo which should move air through the system and maybe aid with combustion in the dpf?

checked today, since the service in mid July the car has travelled 4850 miles, pretty evenly split between a trip to Italy towing the caravan of 2200 miles return and the rest short distance around home area.

The distance to next oil service counter is showing 10850 miles, so that will put it at 15700 between services, so close to spot on.

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Mine has also had this the last 2 times it’s been in for a service. Still a thing even with 50k miles on the clock?

Last year I took it in and they reset the service interval, it’s just come up again. In the 5 months since it was last serviced, it’s only covered 4500 miles.

This is for a TD6

Guessing they’ll just reset it again.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What year is it? There was a software issue with early cars, once I had that update then all was well.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

It’s 2018, I’ll mention it to them and see what they say. I popped in other day and they said they’d need it for 30 minutes, it was the worst time to go in as it was lunchtime and down tools Laughing
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum