Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Slug wrote:
    I'm not sure if I'm a bit of a "green neanderthal", but is the modern diesel really that bad??

I'm pretty sure our European cousins in Germany are still spending millions developing new technologies..
    To me it seems that it is mainly being driven by political ignorance, keeping the green movement happy, although I'm not sure they will ever be happy!
    Rant over.
    Thumbs Up

I don't agree with the "keeping the green movement happy" sentiment. It is no longer a fad (David Attenborough among others have made sure of that). It is because it is mainstream that they want to keep 'them' happy. That's how governments are supposed to work, isn't it? Yes, there are the nutters, but they are on both sides.

In the same way, though, I agree with your sentiment as I would accuse the government's heavy handed approach to diesels of exactly the same 'labelling' flaw: diesel = bad, without any consideration of different applications (e.g. towing (shall I get a V8??) / light use (charge per mile?) / long range / lack of charging infrastructure ) or comparing the equivalent whole cost of electric power from generation to battery disposal.

You've got to start somewhere and it's the usual carrot and stick. For me, the stick has come out a bit too early and there are not even places to grow the carrots yet (this analogy is floundering at this point).

Andrew
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

haha Chaos, I like the analogy

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Ok, so after a strange couple of months when I ordered, then cancelled the order, waited to see the new Defender, decided that wasn’t for me, so called the dealer to refund me my deposit and he told me they had a stock vehicle the same as my original order, they had followed through with the order and ordered 2 the same.
    One they sold in July, which I guess was my original order and another that they got in stock last month.
    Anyway it was the perfect spec so after much deliberation and a very good deal indeed I decided to give a D5 a try.
    So far so good.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Love the black roof. I have a Silicon Silver HSE Td6, body color roof, only regret is I didn't get the black wheels. I like that style of wheel though.

You'll know when your brakes are getting due for a change when your wheels suddenly seem to always have brake dust on them....
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Like that colour

@dieselranger we lost our black roof Due to a mess up on the order form. I’m taking mine into a vehicle graphics firm Saturday to get a quote to have the roof wrapped in Black he said it shouldn’t be to expensive we will see!

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I had my Silicon Silver roof wrapped for £160 after delivery in 2017.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Cool he did guesstimate about £200 he wants to have a good look at the pano roof to see the detail and firm up the cost.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

RDR wrote:
    Like that colour

@dieselranger we lost our black roof Due to a mess up on the order form. I’m taking mine into a vehicle graphics firm Saturday to get a quote to have the roof wrapped in Black he said it shouldn’t be to expensive we will see!

Interesting...did that price include removing and refitting the rails?
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I think that’s why he wants to see it, I did tell him there are rails and a pano roof to work around. When you look there isn’t a lot of wrap to go on it’s going to be mainly labour.

I’ll report back.

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum