Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• hocks172
    England 

Gearbox issues

Hi all got a little bit to post so please bear with me.
    The Disco went in to Landrover to have the rear flap repaired as it wouldn’t open and once it was in there they spotted an oil leak from under the engine protection.
    Obviously they couldn’t do anything then and it was booked in for this week.
    Before it went in I did notice the gearbox feel slightly notchy?
    Upon inspection they spotted that the leak was coming from the transmission tray, which they have apparently replaced the tray and seal and made sure it doesn’t leak anymore.
    BUT!!
    We got it back today and my wife phoned me saying it doesn’t feel right so could I drive it, upon driving if the gearbox is very jerky at very low speed between 1st and 2nd gear also when I give it some welly the change down was very noticeable which is not normal.
    So I phoned Landrover (dealer) and have it booked back in for Monday which was fine until I thought I’d pick my daughter up from school and on the way I tried to See where I could get the jolting at different speeds in different gears. Then a strong smell of burnt oil started which was very noticeable.
    Even my 14 year old noticed which is amazing as she notices nothing.
    I have now contacted Landrover assist as I obviously don’t want to damage anything by driving too far, which there will be a technician with me in the morning.
    Wish me luck.

No more Landrover!!!
    Previous LR: D3 HSE, RRS HST, Evoque Dynamic Lux, D5 HSE LUX.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Must be something around this time of year, last night a vibration developed very quickly on a fast A road. Vibration became extreme before I could safely pull over when an almighty bang and "Gearbox Fault". I fortunately managed to coast into a lay-by with four on board. AA truck had no idea how to disengage the gearbox and the hazards drained the battery, second AA patrol came to get the battery a boost and do disengage the gearbox. Rear wheels seized solid (diff), and bizarrely they insisted on delivering it to my home rather than to a secure compound. Broke down at about 8:50, I was dropped home around 11:00 but then had to sign for the car when they delivered it (another two different recovery trucks) at about 2:30 am. B:3ack on another recovery truck at 9:30.

Collected this morning at 9:30 and dropped to local dealer, and as yet no replacement car but enterprise en route with a Volvo XC60. Sales management in the dealership where completely indifferent, not even telling me in person they could not supply a replacement. Not impressed at all, I suspect this is something very major.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Neill, if it's a V6d, from your description I would guess crank snapped, was common on D4 but D5 seems to suffer less. Transmission & driveline is pretty reliable. If car stopped, need to release transmission park pawl - release lever is under engine cover then release electric park brake, easiest way is to turn ignition off whilst holding handbrake off button down, that should release the epb.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • hocks172
    England 

Oh blimey that sounds a bit more dramatic than mine, but we’ve just picked up a Lexus NX which seems very nice yet small. A bit of a faff by lr assist and enterprise but at least we have wheels for the week.
    Can’t wait for the phone calls tomorrow to start Rolling Eyes

No more Landrover!!!
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Trevorb1 wrote:
    Neilk, if it's a V6d, from your description I would guess crank snapped, was common on D4 but D5 seems to suffer less. Transmission & driveline is pretty reliable. If car stopped, need to release transmission park pawl - release lever is under engine cover then release electric park brake, easiest way is to turn ignition off whilst holding handbrake off button down, that should release the epb.

Thanks Trevor, I will ask the question tomorrow. The guy on the recovery truck like me thought the EPB release was similar to the D4, but after reading the manual (it now says separate instructions are available for recovery personnel, just not the ones LR assist send out). He called another AA patrol (also the battery was dead by then) and he released the Gearbox the way you described but the rear wheels were still not free, seized solid.
  • hocks172
    England 

Well I got mine back this evening and it turns out that the gearbox was not updated to let it know that there is new oil in it!
    It is running a lot better now it’s been updated but what a palaver just because they forgot to do the update.

No more Landrover!!!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

So it sounds like the smell of burning oil was trans fluid that likely had dripped onto the trans / diff housing, which once it got hot started to burn off and cause the smell?

Not sure how the trans knows or cares it has old vs. new oil in it, and then behave as if it threw a knee out simply because it *thought* it had old oil....? Confused
  • hocks172
    England 

Well I know that when my old D3 had a gearbox flush the gearbox had to be reset on that, so there is definitely some truth in the fact that the gearbox adjusts over time to the viscosity of the oil. I also had them draught up a letter explaining what was done and what happened so I’ve got on record the details to show if needed later on.
    She’s driving like a dream this evening so fingers crossed it’s all good.

No more Landrover!!!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

they do need to be reset. My XC60, had to have the gearbox counter reset and the gearbox driven in a recalibration process whenever the ATF was changed, and I am assuming that old 6 speed box was far less sophisticated than the D5's 8 speeder...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Fascinating, and good to know.
  • hocks172
    England 

A little update on this, after the headache of recovery searching for hire cars etc.. I was offered a goodwill gesture by the dealer of £300 towards a meal out?!
    So we had a good meal out and sent them the bill to refund us as instructed.and yet we have heard nothing back for two weeks even though I kept calling and sending emails, them I managed to get hold of the deputy service manager that offered me the gesture and he said it would all be sorted by the end of January and that he was very apologetic.
    Yet January has been and gone and again I’m getting ghosted?
    I am annoyed now that they offer you something for being inconvenienced and then make the whole matter worse by not following up on their word.
    Any ideas what I should do next?
    Thanks Sam.

No more Landrover!!!
  • Tsat
    Turkey 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Transmission Error

Hi
    My vehicle is Discovery LR5. Sometimes I get a Transmission Error warning when I get into the vehicle. However, when I close the tool and run it again, the error ends. Have you ever encountered something like this before?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Mine has once had "Gearbox fault" displayed and it locked into first gear. I switched off and restarted and it was fine and has not done it again. That was about 5 months ago....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • hocks172
    England 

Just to update i have not had any gearbox fault messages at all, but the Disco has been back at LR again!!! firstly for a MOT which it passed easily yet there was another leak guess where from!!
    and the 360 vision camera on the passenger wing mirror, and another software update.
    So it was booked in again for all this to be rectified which they had the car for a week and apparently had replaced the oil seal and pan on the transmission again.
    But its now in again after having the car back for two weeks i noticed the gearbox being slightly notchy again so i had a look underneath and there was a trace of oil see photos
    so now its been back in the garage for a week now and I've heard nothing from the garage or LR customer services who i have also contacted due to the ongoing issues.

No more Landrover!!!
  • Whippetman
    England 

All this is a little strange.
    Whilst mine went to local garage for MOT slight oil leak was noted as an advisory.
    Now with MD for warranty repair.Nothing on dash but 1 litre of oil used for topping up at MOT garage.
    Car off road for the week, no loaner available.........

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum