Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Numb Thumbs
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Fuji White

I took my 19MY SD6 for a short drive. I drove from Melbourne to Sydney on Saturday and then home again on Sunday, visiting my 98 year old aunt in Sydney. Roughly 830 kms each way.

I set the cruise control on 110 km/h - the speed limit - and just let it go. I don't think it dropped out of 8th gear the whole way except when I pulled off the freeway to visit a bakery.

Coming home I averaged 106 km/h and the fuel consumption was around 8.3 litres/100 km both directions - actual, not trip computer. Not bad for a new engine.

The power and torque are amazing, and so smooth. A great way to fill I a weekend!

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs Wink
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Numb thumbs, that’s just brilliant. I’m imagining how that journey would be. Very different mindset to driving in the southern part of the UK, where 300km can sometimes eat most of a day and kill your sanity in traffic and congestion.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Numb thumbs, that’s just brilliant. I’m imagining how that journey would be. Very different mindset to driving in the southern part of the UK, where 300km can sometimes eat most of a day and kill your sanity in traffic and congestion.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Numb Thumbs
    Australia 

Yes, perceptions of distance are very different here. In rural areas here people think nothing of driving 300 km to play a football match then drive home.

My personal record is driving roughly 1500 kms, from Coober Pedy to home in Melbourne in 17 hours, solo, and it rained most of the way. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Before my father died, I used to drive up to visit him in Queensland - over 1800kms. I'd drive to Moree - about 1200 kms - and stop because there are too many kangaroos on the road around sunset and then leave just after dawn the next morning and be in Hervey Bay for lunch. Coming home I would drive to Sydney to visit the same elderly aunt, stopping just north of Sydney for the night. That is around 1100 kms and took around 12 hours Then drive across Sydney, visit the aunt and drive on home the next day - the final 900 kms of the trip. So, 3,800 kms in three and a half day's driving.

The previous vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. I had an auxiliary tank in it for a total of 168 litres. I could drive Melbourne to Hervey Bay without stopping to refuel... The D5 holds half that so I am hanging out for someone to start making an auxiliary tank for it.

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs Wink
  • Numb Thumbs
    Australia 

Did a double submit there.... Oops!

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs Wink
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Excellent stuff, very interesting to see how the large distances work in real life.

My last car was with me for 32 months and did just one single journey over 160km. Very unusual for one of my cars, but a poor effort all the same.

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Numbit thumbs... Just for information, there is a company in Germany that makes a long distance tank for the D5. I don't know if it meets AU requirements, but it is made by a company called matzker.

Here is a link: https://www.matzker.de/Technik-Zubehoer/fu...:3601.html
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... Wrong link. That was for d3

Here is the correct link

https://www.matzker.de/Technik-Zubehoer/fu...:5975.html
  • BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Interesting but wow they are expensive!
    In some areas we have to carry two spares so I will just carry jerry cans
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Normal price on this side of the channel. In Luxembourg, this is even considered as cheap!!
  • Numb Thumbs
    Australia 

nebc100

That is an expensive option! And you still have to work out where you are going to store the spare...

The Jeep one here was around A$1800 from memory. And it went into a space that had nothing in it, so no extra expense.

There seems to be a space under the righthand side - driver's side here - which may be useable for an auxiliary tank. My camper trailer has space for four jerry cans if necessary, but I would prefer an auxiliary tank.

having extra fuel is very useful in the Outback where it can be a long way between fuel options. It can also help you avoid paying a huge premium at a remote fuel stop - sometimes over 50% or even 100% - by being able to reach a larger centre where the fuel is much cheaper. You can also avoid filling up at a fuel source that has just been refilled so badly stirred up.

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs ;H
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Got home....

ahh the joys, whack suspension up high and away we go, steady bow wave and home james. Whistle
    Mate behind in D4 Landmark took the pic.

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Ive only done 70 miles in two weeks in the D5.

Went to put it on remote heat this morning and the cars gone to sleep, so it wouldn’t let me. Took the boys Corsa instead - easier to defrost.

• lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Last week saw use take the D5 over to the Alps on the 8am Chunnel.

Literally didn't touch the cruise or brakes for well over 2.5 hours at 80mph with a very full car, roof box and board bag. French roads are simply amazing. After our first stop, we repeated the same for another 2.5 hours for another stop, and then again for the last 2.5 hours to our stop in Lyon.

Have a look at the stats from the middle section of that journey:

Click image to enlarge

average speed over 2.5 hours. The UK needs to learn some serious lessons...
  • BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I fitted an awning. getting ready for a trip to Namibia.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum