Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Dealer software updates

Last July I bought a fully equipped 2017 Discovery with just 8000mi from a dealer.
    Last week I took it in for the 16000 mi maintenance, for the dreaded windshield leak and a software update.
    The screen had gone black several times during a trip. After several minutes it would reboot except the last time the engine needed to be shut off before rebooting.

The dealer claimed they updated the software but it still indicates 18B while the latest updates are up to 20C.

Sure enough the problem persisted after the service with the screen crashing.

Now the dealer tells me there are no updates for my car. Does this mean the 2017 Discovery is obsolete with no updates forthcoming? I tried updating OTA with no luck.

Waiting for a response from the dealer after promising to escalate the situation. The warranty continues for another year.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I have a 2017 D5 and have all ipdate up to 20B

Your dealer is talking cobblers.

Last edited by nebc100 on 13th Aug 2020 7:29 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

2917?

Am impressed. Some serious Back To
    The Future, Marty Mcfly stuff going on there.

Am sure Doc could easily fix it Rolling with laughterRolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do yo have the option to check for updates in the car?

If not then you need to be updated by the dealer to a later version, I only ask as I cannot remember when OTA was added.

If you do then ask the dealer to make sure your VIN is on the OTA database at JLR.

I had to ask for my 2017 to be added.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

sorry...I meant 2017

I HATE typing on the phone!!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

No need to be sorry, we all make typos Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Ronbo
    United States 

Dealer software update

Got the brush off from the service advisor last week who said their IT expert said my car “couldn’t be updated at this time”?! You would think they would have found a way for a 2017 model with 12,000 miles.

Over the phone and getting transferred endlessly I gave the impression I was looking to buy a car and finally got word to the GM who arranged for me to drop off and pick up a loaner tomorrow.

I’m hopeful they were successful in resetting the windshield leak. Fortunately, they forgot to wash the car so I able to see many fingerprints on the windscreen. One more year on the warranty to get the major stuff fixed.

For those who have done it, and those who might need to, what are the departments and agencies when escalation for dealers who don't favorably respond. I realize it may be different in the UK and other places.

Thanks,
    Ronbo
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

1. Go to a different dealer. Yours is sh*t. There is a TSB that tells them to update from 18-whatever to the latest version for free, which adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay functionality. The fact that it was a dealer car and you are effectively the second owner should not affect this. Go to Topix https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm and pay for a 24 hour subscription. You can enter your VIN and pull down all TSBs for your vehicle.

2. Contact Land Rover Customer Relationship Center North America at 801-887-6457. Don't elevate through your current dealer because they are sh*t, just go direct.

3. If that fails or is moving slowly, get on social media, especially if you have a good following - Instagram and Twitter @landroverusa . They will respond quickly and directly. Then if they resolve the issue and ask you to take the post down, be cool and take the post down, or at least follow up with some appreciation for their help. Don't be a dick in the initial posts, just stick to the facts and express your disappointment. If this is your first Land Rover, include that. They want new customers to be repeat customers.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. They enabled OTA updates to enhance resale value of the vehicle. There is absolutely no reason why the dealer should refuse to update your infotainment.
  • Ronbo
    United States 

Great information! DieselRanger.

I drop off the car today. Thanks.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

So...any updates?
  • Ronbo
    United States 

The dealer has called each day apologizing for the delay. Told him updates take time and to take as much time as needed to get it right this time. Seemed unaware.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I had a March 2017 HSE Lux until March this year and the software was updated at each service visit until SOTA came out and then it was automatic. The initial updates could take approx 4 hrs if all went well, so I think your service department is not correct.
  • Ronbo
    United States 

My 2017 was sold to me last year and had 18B software although LR requires current software before being sold.

I have a loaner which I’m sure he’ll want to get back.
  • Ronbo
    United States 

Received my 2017 today after 4 days of software updating. Went from 18B to 20B1.
    Thanks to this forum and DieselRanger for his advice. Dealers are lax unless you ask if you have the latest update so if you’re buying an older Discovery 5 make sure you have the latest update.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Good to hear you are finally up to date. Make sure they activate OTA updates for your D5 so you can self update and not rely on what appears to be a crap dealer.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum