Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

As if I buy a JLR product again, probably a D5 my21, I will (have to) buy in Gibraltar, where UK laws are applicable or not?
    And would be good to have the same rejection option as now it took me 2 years...
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Labbix wrote:
    And the rejection went smooth, no denying from JLR or playing difficult?

It went very well, the dealer took me through the process in a very clear way. I did have to push them up from the initial offer, but all good and no complaints.

We had a bit of a negotiation over the replacement deal, but that was separate to the rejection.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Labbix

Ok, good to hear, hopefully same rules/legislation applies in Gibraltar.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

And....she’s gone as of Wednesday.

One week short of a year, for next to nothing in terms of cost thanks to the rejection deal. Only 6700 miles.

A beautiful car, but I’m even more in love with the replacement. Thread to follow.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Here she is for sale. Seems a reasonable price to me at £51k for a £78k list year old car.

https://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/116332...e77c8e5ca7

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Dealer is obviously ready for it to be returned numerous times to fix the issues no one has been able to fix previously

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Haha 😆 actually it was pretty robust. The one sensor issue that was initially misdiagnosed, so opened up the avenue for rejection.

Since repair in February, it has been perfect.

But agree that they are probably still wary!

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Took dealer 3 attempts and 18 months to fix front parking sensors on my 2017. Simple really, replace the sensors and hey presto they work properly again!

Currently waiting for dealer to take headlining down to replace faulty rear washer valve and replace the active rear diff that thuds.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I really feel for the bad luck you’ve had with yours, Mordred.

As much as the fault - and several week wait for the part - irritated me, it was the financial no-brainer aspect that really pushed me to rejection. All things taken into account, a year in that car cost me buttons. Which helps amortise the cost of the next four years!

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Washed it this weekend. Needed to, the various niggles were starting to grate on me, but now it’s clean I am back in love with it again.

Before and after, one week apart.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thought I’d update on how mine is going. For those jumping straight from the first post, that car was rejected and replaced after 12 months with the one I have now. MY20 HSE Lux SDV6 in Eiger with glacier.

Had a significant upgrade in early 2021 with the fitment of deployable steps. Absolutely, love these. Vastly easier for my 4 year old to hop in and out and a lovely piece of theatre that add to the premium feel.

Had the boot rubbing and earth fixes under warranty and other than that it’s been reliable so far.

Two new windscreens in 2021, only about 3 months apart. And two punctures, one wrote off a tyre and the other was repairable. Pretty unlucky given the very low miles.

About to breach 7000 miles, almost 19 months in. When I ordered my first Disco I was commuting daily 6 miles each way and averaging one 200 mile round trip to Heathrow per month. By the time I ordered this one a job change meant 80 miles daily. And then…covid…work from home and negligible miles.

All of which makes this beautiful long-legged and capable car city-bound. It’s actually wonderful as a school runner, hence why I see about six at our school every day.

I suspect it will be replaced by an EV soon, but I’ve nearly ditched it before only to have a change of heart.

Fantastic family car, definitely the best car I’ve owned in terms of luxury, capability and character.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Keep taking the tablets! Laughing
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Laughing

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Suspicions of replacement were well founded. I’ve ordered a Tesla Model Y and expect to sell the Discovery in a couple of weeks time. We will go down to one car until the Y arrives in May.

There’s no doubt that the Model Y is a downgrade in every quantifiable category apart from performance and drivetrain smoothness. But the point was to move to EV and to cash in on the unexpectedly good residual on the Disco, sitting around £20k ahead of where I’d expect it to be.

There isn’t an EV that does what the Disco does, and I don’t mean off road stuff, but the Tesla ticks the practicality boxes pretty well.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum