Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Light bar wiring. Need help.

I have ordered a 40-inch Light bar for the roof rack, need help with wiring? please.
    I can somehow to try to bring the wiring under the bonnet (but not sure how). But what then? It has a connection directly to the battery of the car and we have it in the trunk. Is there a way to connect to the cable that goes from the battery somewhere under the bonnet?
    Or maybe somebody has already installed the light bar and can suggest some wiring root and diagram, please. Bow down

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

I have a light bar in my garage and I have no idea how to wire it to the car, I want to make it from the front side, as it would be easier to hide the wire then to go through to the back with the wire via a rack and a sealed 5th door.
    Is there a way to connect the light bar under the bonnet to the battery? Please help.

• IndusD4
    Australia 

There is a positive battery terminal and an earth point next to it under the bonnet. I see no reason why you could not use that. For me it is on the driver side of the car, probably for you it would be the passenger side. It has a black plastic cap on it with a + sign.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

It worked. Thanks. Now I have to decide how to bring the on/off button inside the cabin.

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Dont think anyone has found a way into the cab from the engine bay yet so if you do find one can you post it please

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

With the D4 there was a grommet near the steering column (on a RHD vehicle), it was visible from the engine bay and came out under the dash inside the car. I would think there would be a similar grommet in the D5. I'll have a look in a bit if I can see it.

With the lighter attached to the power point under the bonnet, please make sure the light bar is fused.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

Thanks. It is fused with 30Amp on the harness (wiring kit included everything in it)

• IndusD4
    Australia 

I had a look and as far as I can see there's no grommet like on the D4. However, there is a white "ring" of sorts where the steering column enters the cabin. It seems that is in 2 parts, top part for the steering column then there is a part of it below the steering column with what looks like a grommet like rubber centre.

There is one obvious grommet visible on the plastic housing to the top left of the engine (standing in front of the car looking at it), towards the windscreen. That black plastic "box" (??) has a cover on it, I'm not sure what it is for not what is in it. And without replacement clips handy I wasn't keen on taking it off. Maybe this is where the electrics go into the cabin as I can't see where else they go through the firewall.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • D5Dodge
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Farallon Black

I used the jump starting posts for my light bar and an Anderson socket mounted behind the offside headlight.
    Couldn’t find a route into the cabin so for now my switch cable goes along the wing top to the door then under the inner door seal. I did put a cable loop outside of the seal to drip water off and a blob of mastic under the seal. It works fine but I will be looking for the route in this thread so Thant’s..
  • D5Dodge
    United Kingdom 

Only 20 inch as I wanted the look more than anything. You really need to go curved if you want any bigger..
  • D5Dodge
    United Kingdom 

Other shots of the light bar fitting

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

D5Dodge wrote:

Only 20 inch as I wanted the look more than anything. You really need to go curved if you want any bigger..

Sylvania?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum