Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Roof Rail fitting

Following ion from posts in one of the other threads, here are some pics and tips from me fitting the roof rails. These are Genuine LR rails with Ditch finishers (all from Dan @ Duckworths). I went for the genuine items as the rails generally on fleebay dont come with the ditch finishers, and front fitting in the cheap ones looks like it might be plastic, whereas the LR one is metal.

So, here goes:

3 boxes of parts

Tools needed - T40 Torx bit, some plastic trim tools, and a hair dryer (the paint brush is just to brush any bits/dust out from under the old rails once removed) Whistle

Use the trim tools to remove the existing plastic covers - this is the front one just taken off, but you then have to remove the plastic bits you can see - these are fixed with double sided tape:

Take the 6 bolts out that you find under the trim:

And here is a back one off:

You will find sticky pads and 3M tape as well as clips have been used to hold the exiting trim on. I found the hairdryer was the best thing to get the sticky off, and then some surgical spirit, as the 2 3M cleaning pads supplied are so small that wont clean very much at all. Cleaned front bits here:

Once all clean you can start fitting the new ditch finisher trims - do the front long one first, getting the front edge under the rubber windscreen trim.

Then do the back one. A tip here is ignore the order in which you clip the trim down on the LR fitting guide. I did this and bent the back inner clip, but you can't then get to it easily as the 3M tape has grabbed. For the second side I just started with the rear 2 clips and worked forward - much easier.

here is the ditch trim fitted:

Once this is done you fit the very front fixings, they are handed (L & R) so check, as here:

Then fit the ruber trims to the rear part of the rails (just pushes on) and then fit the rails, 2 loose bolts (supplied) at the front, 4 captive (by the seals) at the rear.

tighten up to the spec'd torque, and then fit the bolt covers - and you're done for that one:

Then go do the other one - same process - took me about an hour and half, was taking it slowly.

Finished job:

And finally - I was hoping to keep the parts I'd removed in case I wanted to take the rails back off, but Russ had commented about the platic parts used to fit them being brittle and breaking - he was right, so whilst I have the glossy bits the bits underneath are in peices and in the bin.

Hope this helps
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Really helpful and something I intend to do this year, may I ask how much the genuine set cost you?
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

£454 inc shipping from Dan

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Think you can get new clips

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Looneyfitter
    United Kingdom 

al cope wrote:
    £454 inc shipping from Dan

Al

You got a contact for Dan mate?
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

They are one of the site sponsors so you should be able to PM Dan, but here you go:

My Direct Line: 01673 849873
    Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

Al

• RiverBlanche
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    good write up Thumbs Up and always good to have pictures Wink
  • TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Just done mine, thank you for the pictures - in conjunction with the instructions you really don't need anything else Thumbs Up

Also took me around an hour and a half.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Mine done too. Great write up, really takes the guess work out for the first one! That took about 45 mins. I did note that the old bolts that are discarded are T40, but the new ones are T45.

Second one was very straightforward and only took about 20mins.

Thanks for tip on the rear ditch finisher fitting order. Worked a treat and can’t see the logic for the LR instructions order of fitting.

Jon
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Al, can I ask which side steps/running boards you have there? They're quite nice looking, any other photos of them?
  • BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I recently removed mine as I fitted a roof rack. One of the most important things is to make sure the seals are correctly seated to the mounting brackets that connect to the roof. If not you will have leaks.
  • hocks172
    England 

Ill be trying to fit these to mine this week as soon as they arrive. Cant wait to see what they look like.

No more Landrover!!!
    Previous LR: D3 HSE, RRS HST, Evoque Dynamic Lux, D5 HSE LUX.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Global if you do a search on here using keyword sidestep, you’ll find a few photos and fitting instructions. I’ve got the same as Al. Very good quality.

In fact found the thread,

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread1490.html?highlight=Sidesteps
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Roof Rails

Fitted a set today thanks to Al's guide. Worst thing was getting the sticky residue off from the original ditch finishers.

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • Ianpettifer
    United Kingdom 

Is this company still operating? I need to buy some rails and cross bars asap for a holiday in 3 weeks time for my disco5. HELP?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum