Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Err… I had to have a new engine.

Having been meaning to post this for a while as happened in November '18 but with sorting it all out and Christmas etc never got round to it.

I plan to post a few threads about the whole saga as there's quite a lot to share. Namely:

How it all happened (this post)
    The service from Land Rover Assist
    As we had a 3.0 loan car for a month, I can give some thoughts about 2.0 vs. 3.0

What happened:
    My car is a 2.0, March '17 with 30k on the clock.
    We had driven 2 hours from Sussex to Canterbury to pick a new horse up. We were towing an empty horse trailer on the way there. When we were leaving the yard, the car didn't quire feel right and would stall when putting it on D. But with a bit of left foot braking and keeping the revs up managed to get going. Within a few minutes it was clear that something was seriously wrong as power was low and the engine was making some horrible noises. There were no warning lights on.

By this time we were on a dual carriage way so had to get off urgently. The next exit was about half a mile away but the car ground to a halt on the slip road. The way it stopped, it felt very terminal. The only warning light was "restricted performance" in about the last 5 seconds. So now half off the dual carriageway with a horse in a trailer; the worst possible scenario! The engine would turn over but wouldn't start.

Police had to close the road whilst the horse was removed from the trailer and taken back to where it had just come from.

Fast forward to the diagnosis; major turbo failure with fragments entering the engine so a complete new engine needed. Got the car back just before Christmas.

I'll share the experiences and views about LR Assist, LR Customer Services and the Dealer in later posts. But for now, happy I've got the car back and all seems fine. But a range of emotions about the whole episode and frankly, very concerned about where the Land Rover brand is at.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Thanks for sharing. Will be very interested to hear your whole story.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Yikes. I'll be interested to hear as well. Major turbo failures don't just happen - would love to hear what the other parties had to say on the postmortem and if they tried to blame it on you for towing.

Oil circulation issues? Vane failure? Those new ones are supposed to have ceramic bearings.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Shocked Sorry to hear this. As an owner of a 2Ltr D5 of similar mileage I too would be interested in finding out more.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

DieselRanger wrote:
    Major turbo failures don't just happen - would love to hear what the other parties had to say on the postmortem and if they tried to blame it on you for towing.

I'm sure they do, albeit infrequently - turbo manufacturers have the same issues as any other manufacturer.

Still, 3 years into Discovery with the new 2.0 and it's the first one I've read about failing. Seems to be a better pedigree than the TDV6!

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Capt Pugwash
    United Kingdom 

Very, very interested to hear your full story...

I also have a March 2017 2lt with 35k miles on it now...and I am experiencing random power loss (had assist out once and he found nothing!)

Of greater concern for me right now is that the engine appears noisy & under any load/acceleration there is a worsening heavy vibration under foot and through the seats even...that appears to be coming from either the engine or transmission.

I just know the car is going to let me down shortly, and am planning/considering another trip to the dealer service dept, but as usual they will probably say “they can’t find anything wrong! and to wait and let it develop”...waiting for a failure is not how I planned my ownership of this luxury vehicle, but every day I wonder if she will let go and have a catastrophic engine or turbo or transmission failure 😕

D5 MY19 ANNIVERSARY EDITION sd6 3ltr V6 - Loire blue - 22”alloys
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Theres a thread in the facebook Discovery5 Owners gorup, where someone had a 2.0 engine fail, worth a read as it seems it more common that people think

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

For those of us not on Facebook can you post the text here ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Sad to hear the individual story above, good job that you are under warranty. Smile

I have a 2.0 ..after having 2 x 2.7 and 2 x 3.0 V6's in the past and I find it to be a superb engine when mated to the 8 speed box.

Some who know me from the D3/4 forum will immediately recognise my stance on the issue of engine failures ..or any other failures tbh....they happen ...and they happen to all manufacturers.

Take an independent view from warranty direct ...LR being at number 11 for engine issues ...what this shows is that while it's irritating, annoying and unwelcome, nothing should come as any shock or surprise when it comes to machines failing.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer/Engine
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

extract from FB for thos enot on it, implcation being there's been a few related to different failure causes potentially (poster's names removed)...

Well the wife 2.0 diesel HSE packed in on the motorway. Critical oil level flashed up, the 10 seconds later restricted performance. LR have just rung to say needs a new turbo and possibly a new engine! Anybody else heard of similar with the Ingenium engines?

1) Yes. Heard of a few unfortunately Simon.
    2) they do appear be turning out bags of crap these days
    3) is that on the 180 bhp or the 240??
    4) 240
    5) Yep pretty common unfortunately. Happens to the evoqes, disco sports, f-paces, xe, xf etc...
    6) The ingenium isn't the best sadly. I had to quote on a Disco Sport 2.0 that had crapped it's engine today.
    7) did it also start with a turbo or is there a different cause. Here in SA its mostly the egr valve bolts that come undone,. Go through the turbo and the turbo then dumps oil into the intake. Causing either no oil or bent conrods.
    Cool The common issue that's starting here is the balance shaft failing. The early signs are a faint squeal that isn't much different to a belt slipping noise. Unfortunately if it's got that far then it's usually too late anyway.
    9) yeah. We've done a few balance shafts as well. There's a bulletin about them iirc.
    10) who is paying for the whole thing to resolve this?
    11) warranty is warranty

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I accept that Every manufacturer has inherrant issues resulting in what ever failure has occured at any given time, But like most things various factors almost always determine the outcome.

There is never a good time to break down let alone suffer catastrophic engine failure, the fact that you are out in your car in the first place means that you were intending going some where and that in itself had time constraints, knock on's and let downs to others as well as yourself, Secondly and like most things it is more often than not the person who deals with your concerns that sets the bar for how the process will be handled, hopefully rectified and ultimately how the whole event is brought to a conclusion,

I have recently dealt with my own vehicle D5 HSE 17MY unsuccesfully, having had 4 services in 11K miles it has been deemed as fit for purpose as the manufacturer states that is how the vehicle was intended to be serviced, the 16,000 miles means do not exceed this figure.
    The whole process began badly when they couldn't fit me in for the service for over 2 Month's, they then stated that if i knew it needed a service why didn't i book it in for one in advance like others do, No replacement vehicle was ever mentioned despite them telling me NOT to drive it due to possible engine failure ! It spiralled out of control at that point and the whole process broke down because the Customer Relations Executive asigned to my case could not do anything, had no technical know how what so ever so refused to comment on the case, accepted NO responsibilty of the issues stating that my concerns were with the seller not the manufacturer and constantly said..... i DO NOT Know what you want me to say or do ?

If your experiences are anything like mine then i genuinely feel for you, i would hope... after suffering engine failure, having a Horse and box in tow with the Police closing the road etc, that there was some form of compasion made towards the whole situation, No doubt they replaced the engine and ancils under warranty but as you know and as others have said, when it happens it is not good at all and you would expect the highest level of service and customer care / support.

People i have spoken to recently all share the same opinion in that no one bothered, which is great if the manufacturer has a cast iron reliability record and their service centres and customer support is spot on, but to have manufacturing flaws, poor backup and very poor support impacts upon the whole experience, Not all manufacturers are perfect, not all vehicles are fault free but what you should be able to rely on you can't....

And just because other manufacturers are like it doesn't make it right !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Telstone
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

New engine needed

2017 2.0 HSE - 41k miles .

Started with engine noise - muffled load noise, then had a loss of power just entering a busy roundabout it then cleared itself , a few miles down the road noise came back but power was ok by the time I got home all was ok. Car booked in for service on the 9th of October

Rang the dealer I was told to call assist
    - called assist sent the AA out
    - plugged the car in - no faults recorded
    - AA took the car for a test drive no issues until parked out side home noise returned.
    - couldn’t find issue told should be ok until Service. After a long discussion the engineer said he would report that the car needed up lifting.

- the following day I called the dealer to explain - told to call assist number
    - called assist - no call out recorded
    - 2nd call still no record
    - called dealer couldn’t help
    -3rd call to assist found call out - AA report no further action - car booked in for serve on the 9th
    - called dealer - still no help
    - 4th call to assist eventually agreed that the car would be uplifted after talking to the AA engineer
    - Car collected from home this afternoon.

Just received a email with a video off the car inspection that I shouldn't of received - could not understand what they were telling me - Called the dealer asked what was the video I had just received was told it was meant for Landrover to authorise a new engine- told they would call me later today with detail.

[/list]
  • Whippetman
    England 

Yes mine in for new 2L engine on 28,000 miles.
    Loss of compression in 2 cylinders.
    Went in for oil leak under warranty.
    Getting sorted this week.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

@Whippetman___ Is it sorted now ? Shocked

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Whippetman
    England 

All sorted now.
    Drives like a dream once again Thumbs Up

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum