Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Nice to see some of the new MY21 dealer cars posted in this thread have already been sold! It shows there's still a market out there.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Particularly as people are buying these cars without being able to test drive them!

Altho that being said, I'm sure the dealer is allowing the buyer to give it a once around the block before they finalise.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I currently have a 2018 D5, so ordering a 2021 one without a test drive was no problem for me.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve never taken a test drive for the last half dozen LR’s. A mixture of can’t be ars** and what’s the point? Laughing
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

I bought a Kuga last week (as a 2nd car for me) , all done on phone/internet , click & collect on understanding both parties happy with deal .
    Had a Kuga 9 yrs ago so not bothered about test drive .
    Car was advertised as a 2 wheel drive which I was happy with but when I got it home I found it was an AWD model .
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

I guess I’m in a slightly different situation as I’m going from a D4 to D5 and never properly driven a D5 so want to be sure I’m (and the wife) are happy. Also want to check if we can get the three child seats in the 2nd row like we have with the D4.

Dare I say it, also considering test driving an XC90 PHEV to see how it compares, although I’m pretty certain I will prefer the Disco.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

If you get on fine in a D4, you’ll get on in a D5.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    Dare I say it, also considering test driving an XC90 PHEV to see how it compares, although I’m pretty certain I will prefer the Disco.

If you have kids a word of caution. In the XC90 the front passenger seat, the middle seat in the second row, and the whole of the third row, all don't have Isofix.

Also if you do long journeys the PHEV battery only lasts for about 50miles max (cruising at circa 60-70) on the motorway before it runs out and you will be using the 4-pot petrol on its own to cart 2.5 tonnes around and then you'll be getting late teen MPG. Charge time on the battery is slow too, maxed at 3kwh so it takes 5hrs to charge the 30miles.

For both those reasons I discounted the XC90.

Smile

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

The draw for me with the XC90 was to be able to just use the battery only for the shorter trips but I want to see how practical it really is. The big concern was how well the 2ltr petrol handles outside of that.

I wonder if there will ever be a decent Disco PHEV that wouldn't lose the third row seats to accommodate the batteries like many other 7 seaters have?
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

I had a test drive and when being run on it's own the 4-pot petrol really struggled with the weight, especially around town. The car feels every one of its kg, so IMO it needs the toque (oomph) so unless in hybrid mode and/or full electric it is quite asthmatic. If you do short journeys and it's your only car then it's a viable option, but only if you charge it overnight and can live with the drawbacks. Real word range on the battery alone is around 20-25miles. I drove the 250hp MHEV XC90 and that was much much better, albeit still felt a bit underpowered, equipment wise is OK but not as good as the disco and residuals are pretty poor. For me it felt very sterile and uninspiring to drive, and quite dated. There are little niggles too like CarPlay only displays on half the screen.

• Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Bear in mind that the XC90 is only two wheel drive once it’s run out of charge!
  • tonigmr2
    United Kingdom 

Interesting discussion as I am thinking of updating to the newer mild hybrid. Seems that the mpg isn't that impressive though which is surprising. (Currently have the larger diesel on a 68 plate).

Diesel or petrol which is likely to be a better choice? Also I notice the Disco is the D300 but there is a D350 in RRs, what do you think the likelihood of that engine choice going across to the Disco in future?
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

In relation to the XC90 being 2wd once out of charge, that is not the case. Irrespective of the state of charge in the hybrid battery, charge is always available for the rear motor (generated by the engine / generator). This is made quite clear in the documentation. That means that the drive modes for AWD, Off Road, and Power are always available.
    I found the PHEV pretty good, having had 3 Discos before, including TDV6 and SDV6. Definately not same for off road, but depends on what you want a car for.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Dealer got in touch today to say my car is scheduled to be with them on the 26th March, so not too long to wait Very Happy
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Jayd5 ,
    What date did you put your order in ?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum