Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Ecosse wrote:
    Brexit issues, large numbers of lay-offs, businesses with large bounce back loans, empty shop units, poor pension returns etc.....

Personally I don't see how any of those will cause car prices to 'correct'. In most cases it will little impact especially as they aren't index linked. In relation to BREXIT it's the complete opposite because it has meant new import/export levies that will need to be recouped. These are cars sold in the main to a demography who have, on the whole, been protected so far from the economic issues.

Its supply & demand, so as long as the customers are there, they have no need to discount heavily, especially as all sales targets would have been revised many months ago for the new FY. All fire sales do is cause long term instability in the brand and values. JLR will need to protect all the GFV's and they will do their upmost after being severely burnt with the InControl debacle that cause 2017/18 car values to fall off a cliff.

How many times do we hear about corrections in house prices and high value items. These corrections seldom occur.[/quote]

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Oh to have a crystal ball.

None of us could see a pandemic coming, in fact we’d have said you were mad if you predicted it. Who knows what the future holds on any front tbh or put it this way, whilst we may be successful individually or not, we certainly aren’t at the top of the tree. If we were, we’d not be spending time on a D5 forum - sorry if that burst someone’s bubble. Wink
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

One is not "..at the top of the tree.." in the UK. Cars are far cheaper in the UK,
    and in the D3/D4 period also hard working service engineers could afford one.

In the Netherlands even a measly Discovery Sport is for the wealthy only since
    they start [not as listed, but real life], around € 70k + ...

A new D5 SD4 HSE with avarage kit comes now at € 130.000 ..... Shocked

From this 50% is CO2 tax and VAT...

So almost nobody buys these new privately !

At 64k for a 2018 SD4 HSE I maybe not at the very top, but certainly in the top 15% of income,

and reading & writing on forums like this means I can spare the time too.. Whistle

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Just click on the links flor the new Discos on Autotrader that appear here and you will see that most have been sold. People are still buying cars, yes there has been a downturn but manufacturers adjust their productions rates to suite.
    No manufacturer will knowingly devalue their product or allow dealers to do it by discounting below a certain level. Any dealer that is caught doing this is at risk of losing their sales target bonus or even losing the franchise.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

@Jayd5

" ..Any dealer that is caught doing this is at risk of losing their sales target bonus or even losing the franchise..."

I thought something like this was behind it.. Rolling Eyes

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

Jayd5 wrote:

No manufacturer will knowingly devalue their product or allow dealers to do it by discounting below a certain level. Any dealer that is caught doing this is at risk of losing their sales target bonus or even losing the franchise.

I expect the manufacturers would have to be a bit more subtle than that! The CMA has extensive powers to deal with anti-competitive behaviour ...
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Jayd5 wrote:
    Considering the issues with The seat fabric in defenders I would want to wait and see how the vegan fabric wears before considering. It does look nice though.

Also when speccing the no-cost Luxtec (vegan) interior on the HSE, you lose the standard 20-way heated and cooled vented seats, and instead get 18-way heated only seats. All whilst charging you £450 for the privilege. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Jayd5 wrote:
    Just click on the links flor the new Discos on Autotrader that appear here and you will see that most have been sold. People are still buying cars, yes there has been a downturn but manufacturers adjust their productions rates to suite.

Yup. The blue HSE I linked a video has now sold, that's just 5 days from it going live. These cars don't seem to be hanging around, which shows there's a strong buoyant market for the right spec car. Very Happy

• mwsedgwick

Luxury brands not as impacted during economic downturns etc. If anything they strengthen.

Those with money will still have it and want to spend. Especially given low interest rates
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Dealers are known to swap cars which have been sitting on their forecourts for some periods of time, so I would take all stats with a pinch of salt. Our last D5 went from a Scottish garage to one in England. No manufacturer will admit too struggling as all want one upmanship over their nearest rivals, and all are wanting a bigger share of the pie, especially in this struggling climate.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Dealers swapping cars is not true strictly true, all cars on the forecourt of a dealership are owned by the dealer. Dealers have a funding plan in place with the manufacturer for new cars that means a month after the car is delivered to the dealer the dealer pays the manufacturer the trade cost for the car. A similar arrangement is in place for used cars, but the dealer uses finance then after a month pays the stand in value of the car. The stand in value of a used car is the actual amount the dealer has paid for the used car.

Some dealers will sell used cars to other dealers if a say they don’t feel they can sell it easily. With new cars dealers can look at holding stock at other dealers and ask if they can ‘swap’ if a customer wants a specific car that another dealer has. However this mostly only done with dealers in the same group, competing dealers normally won’t want to help a competitor with a sale.
  • mwsedgwick

Walk around of 2021 Discovery. Love that colour

Looking forward to seeing a proper review.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I like that colour too. Think those new wheels are awful though, look like they should be on a Golf or Corolla, not a 2.5t SUV.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

+1 on those awful wheels

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Not as bad as the iX3

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum