Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

It appears none of these MY21 D5s have the 2 speed transfer box. I wonder why that is?

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Not needed on school run, £310 option if you factory order it, think you get it if you order factory fit tow bar.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:
    It appears none of these MY21 D5s have the 2 speed transfer box. I wonder why that is?

I'd guess, speaking from personal experience, the buyer demography/needs of the D5 have evolved to a place where it's no longer an essential?

LR have been very clever to introduce the Defender to plug the utilitarian gap where the D4 used to be, which is a place they alienated when replacing the D4 with the D5. They have in turn moved the D5 up into a RRS/FFRR image of practicality and luxury, all with family orientated off-road ability. So with that in mind the plugging off-road ability of Discovery is no longer a primary selling point and the twin-transfer box doesn't need to be standard (saving them money) and buyers who want/need it will find it in the options.

I'm one of those people who would never have considered a D5 if it had kept the same D4 ethos, so my money would have gone elsewhere now I have 4 kids and need the practicality/space along with comfort and levels of luxury. So perhaps they've done something right?

FWIW, I saw the need for utilitarians duties by some buyers, and even though I won't use the facility myself I've still specced the AORCP (which includes the twin transfer box) for added resale reasons.

All in my humble opinion, of course. Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The D5 now as standard comes with 20” wheels, it is far from a serious off roader. It is a luxury SUV aimed at families that has good off road capabilities.

Even the new Defender is not a serious off roader, because it’s know biased for on road comfort. There is nothing wrong with this as Landrover know that the majority of their customers like the idea that the car can go off road but in reality never take it further than a field being used as a overflow car park.

2021 D5 Dynamic HSE on order to replace my ‘ageing’ 2018 D5 HSE
  • Labbix

Interesting they have moved the second row air vents from the door pillar to now blow at the knees of the centre rear passenger...

Yes, I asked them as my kids always broke these Wink (although they managed to break the other ones as well, as with 2 car seats on the outer places, as these have the isofix, the third kid has to ‘climb over’ these to get to the middle position and that’s how they sometimes press the vents and as these have just some small plastics to hold it in place, they break off, always replaced under warranty though)
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

my kids friends (in the days when we were allowed to mix with other families) repeatedly pressed the buttons to the side of the 2nd row seats when getting in...thereby raising the 3rd row seats and the motors are strong enough that when it is just a boot mat and a bag with ice crapers and picnic blanket the seats still raise.#

I still think its just cheaper for JLR as only need to run one air ducting to the vents rather than one each side, but will work far less efficiently.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Pictures added this morning to the P360 HSE in Carpathian with two-tone interior and standard 22's...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...3039694737

Any doubt I had left in my mind that my choice of black wheels and full ebony interior was wrong, has now totally gone! IMO that triple combo in the advert looks like a complete dogs dinner. Shocked

Last edited by Windy Miller on 4th Mar 2021 2:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Finally, one in Carpathian! Very Happy

I do like the colour and think those wheels look okay actually. Would like to see one with the black wheels to really compare though.

Also, still not liking those front seat headrests. Not sure why they have that bit on top, thats what makes them look weird.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

there's only one thing wrong with that car.....the price Laughing

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 

They appear to have ticked every possible option on this one. Shocked

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

yeah I priced up my "desired options" and my D5 came to a list of £74400. So with discount would be about £68k, less the £3500 deposit contribution, so £64,500

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

@Mordred - £10k total 'discount'?!?

Any discount quoted on the brokers includes the DC/DPA from LR, so the £10k you're quoting off RRP can't be right?

ETA: - just ran my £72k spec through the brokers again, and they are quoting a total of £7500 (including the FDA from JLR).

FDA is maxed at £2500 for HSE models, £2000 for SE and £1500 on S, and is only applicable to R-Dynaimc, there;'s no FDA for normal Disco's.

I'm curious to know how you got to £10k?

Smile

• mwsedgwick

Anyone else get a letter through from JLR over the last few days detailing order delays??? We had one today.

Looks like a generic letter - no specific dates or details relating to our order. Dealer advised likely delivery date for us is 22nd March, only 3 days later than original date
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 

I received the letter yesterday, but my dealer says the system shows car will be delivered on the 22nd March, in my case that’s 4 days earlier than the last update.

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

mwsedgwick wrote:
    Anyone else get a letter through from JLR over the last few days detailing order delays??? We had one today.

Looks like a generic letter - no specific dates or details relating to our order. Dealer advised likely delivery date for us is 22nd March, only 3 days later than original date

Yup my letter arrived today, but it's very generic so I didn't take much notice of it, especially as it's dated the 22nd of Feb!

My dealer updated me yesterday to say that his system shows it was built to scheduled day/time and is still expected to arrive at the dealer on or before 19th March.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum