Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mwsedgwick

Build complete last week or week before I think. I've not chased massively as took the view it will arrive when it arrives regardless or me chasing for updates.

I ordered early Feb but the car was already provisionally ordered by the dealership
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

It finally landed at the dealer this morning - I'm heading down to their compound this afternoon to take a look at it before picking it up on Saturday. Very Happy

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Excellent, may dealer called me yesterday and expect mine to be with them on Friday, so pencilled in collection for Wednesday.

2021 D5 Dynamic HSE on order to replace my ‘ageing’ 2018 D5 HSE
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

looking good

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 

Very nice 👍

• discus
    United Kingdom 

Looks smart. Like the wheels. Cool
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

Looks cracking. Are you going to keep posting every time someone uploads a video of a Disco to Youtube or will you be too busy playing with your new toy? Very Happy
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Looks very nice. Please tell us what you think when you.drive it.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Looks very good. Excellent choice on the painted wheels.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all, picked it up this morning and after 100 miles driving around, it's met our expectations and some more.

Due to covid, the handover was a muted affair, it was parked in a zone away from the showroom and public, with the key box inside the car waiting. The salesman made sure I was happy and we went on our way, it took all of 10mins max!

First impressions (in points I'll compare to my old 2015.5 RRS ABD, so apologies but it gives a good point of reference):

Engine - I had the SDV6 306hp engine in the RRS, but this D300 feels noticeably quicker, especially on the initial pickup. The initial gap/pause for the torque is gone, presumably filled by the MHEV. The engine does feel very tight (8 miles on the clock on handover), but it's by no means a slouch. My worries about there not being a D350 have been unfounded, it is more than adequately paced and gets moving effortlessly, to the point that I looked down several times and didn't realise I was going os fast! Most of all though, it is SO SO quiet(!), on tickover you wouldn't even know it was running, It's a world apart from the old SDV6 unit, so refined and quiet. We did long drive an it over a mix of motorway and A-roads, where it averaged 35mpg. I wasn't cautious or tried to be economic, so even though it's hardly scientific, it's a good first impression on fuel consumption so I expect that to be a higher figure when we're doing our long motorway cruising runs.

Interior - the HSE brings additions to the dash/doors/centre console, that you see on the S/SE, and this does indeed make it feel much more premium, in fact the whole car feels very premium, and in most places equally as good as the Autobiography Dynamic RRS. The sides of the centre console and main arm rest I assumed would be plastic, but they are soft touch wrapped, and the great knob has a alcantara-like coating. The headrests are very comfy, as are the seats. The steering wheel is good, the buttons are physical/haptic, so a good balance and the shifter paddles are machines alloy which is a very premium touch. The shiny spokes aren't great but not as shiny as I was expecting.

Pivi-Pro - wow, just wow, what a screen(!). Easily the most impressive thing on the car for me so far, it's incredible! The size of it cannot be underestimated, and the way they have integrated CarPlay into it is perfect. CarPlay runs integrated across all the screens, so you have both menus showing, and CarPlay maximises the entire 11.4", it's amazing using Waze and Spotify, it's not scaled back or restricted as it is in other brands. The customisable dash also allows for music details (inc album art etc) to show what's playing on spotify, and it also shows on the audio screen on Pivi, you don't need to go into the spotify app in CarPlay.

One minor bug-bear so far... the USB-C port in the phone cubby is charge only(why would they do that?!?), you have to plug into the armrest USB-C to get CarPlay etc. I'm hoping the OTA wireless CarPlay update drops soon so I don't have to have the wire draping across the centre console to the cubby.

Exterior - Very pleased/glad I specced the black wheels and rails, but left the roof Carpathian. It gives a good balance of the carpathian v the black details.

I've not had a chance to play with it in detail yet, but all in all we're very pleased.

If anybody wants to see/know anything specific about features etc, let me know and I'll happily take a pic and/or post up the answers. Smile

A couple of pics I took at handover this morning...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Windy Miller, nice early impressions, thanks. Sounds like some good upgrades there. And probably the first time I’ve thought “oh, I’d quite like a facelift one”!

Whilst I don’t mind too much missing out on a better engine - there is ALWAYS a better engine out there somewhere - the Pivi Pro/screen upgrades do sound like a big step forward.

Nice colour, Carpathian, suits the D5 really well. I was always happy with the look of mine and was nervous that I’d like the incoming Eiger car less (wasn’t true, thankfully).

I’m very disappointed that they’ve dropped the glacier interior and others. Now restricted to black and mostly-black. Suits many, I know, but not me. Shame to make the choice so restrictive.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 

Sounds good 👍, I am still expecting to be picking mine up on Wednesday. Hope I have the same positive experience.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for sharing your views. I need to get on and order mine now. I do like those wheels but I think I will stick to the gloss black 21s.
    Did you have the wireless charging, if so what do you think of it?

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • straightlinemike
    United Kingdom 

Great info Windymiller! Nice pics, never seen carpathian grey which I've ordered too, appreciated. I was a bit worried the centre console might be a bit drab coming from FFRR Autobiography but pleased it's better than you expected. I also hope for wire free CarPlay, was one thing that's a big step up from current.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum