Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• John C
    United Kingdom 

That looks fantastic! I really like the look of the rails on the Carpathian grey, which I don't have on mine.

Really interesting to hear about the CarPlay update. Am I correct in thinking that you could get your iPhone mapping app of choice displayed in between the dials on the screen behind the steering wheel - rather than the LR one?

Thank you and enjoy!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated. We've been out in it today, and each time we've parked up we've both looked back at it whilst walking away and said to each other we made the right choices on colour combos. Cool

A few more things noted/found:
    1. 'Small' size Diskloks don't fit the steering wheel (it did on the RRS), so I'm going to have to buy a new 'medium' sized one.
    2. I've disabled keyless, so that gives me peace of mind. I was a bit worried the sequence you press into the key fob wouldn't work on the new gen cars, but thankfully it still works on MY21.
    3. When I downloaded the in-control app, I noticed that I could pre-heat/cool the car and it would start the car remotely to do that. I was under the impression that function was the £1250 "Cabin pre-conditioning with remote control" option, but seemingly not given I didn't spec that, so what does that expensive option do above what I have?!? Shocked
    4. "Animated Directional Indicators" - apparently these are standard on the SE/HSE, but I noticed today in the reflection of the car in-front that the Disco wasn't doing it. Hopped out once home and sure enough both front and back are a standard 'blink' rather than a 'sweep'. A quick look online suggests that they possibly need to be activated in the menus, but I've searched high & low through the settings/iGuide, yet nothing?!?

More of my ramblings/observations coming soon! Laughing

BigCol66 wrote:
    Did you have the wireless charging, if so what do you think of it?

Yup - it works perfectly. The reces in the cubby is a rubber mat and the charging recesss is a drop recess and big enough for my iPhone 12 Pro Max (and there's still about 1" either side for a bigger phone). You simply place it in and it starts charging in a few seconds. Pointless for me right now though because I still have to plug in for CarPlay. I've contacted JLR about when the OTA update that enables wireless CarPlay will be dropping, but my dealer says I'm not the only one waiting.

John C wrote:
    Am I correct in thinking that you could get your iPhone mapping app of choice displayed in between the dials on the screen behind the steering wheel - rather than the LR one?

Sadly not, it's currently LR maps only in the binnacle cluster (full width, or an options in the 1 or 2 dial modes. After seeing the media display on the centre screen, I was hoping Waze/GM would display in the map screens available in the binnacle, but no. That being said, it takes nothing away from the how excellent Waze is to use on the main 11.4" screen, the maps are huge meaning you see so much more of the route and upcoming tunes etc.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Pleased that is meeting your expectations Thumbs Up .
    Have you managed to try out that Navigation yet ? , put a return to home route in yesterday while we were out to to test it and adjust the volume via the SW control .
    That worked fine , but we noticed the warnings for safety cameras is very low and can't seem to adjust them louder .

Any ideas ?

2021 D250 S Eiger Grey HSW Privacy Hi/Low Ratio
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Don’t speed? Then it won’t matter if you hear them or nor. Thumbs Up
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

33Lurcher wrote:
    Have you managed to try out that Navigation yet ? , put a return to home route in yesterday while we were out to to test it and adjust the volume via the SW control .
    That worked fine , but we noticed the warnings for safety cameras is very low and can't seem to adjust them louder .

Yup - on our way back home yesterday from the long drive, we were going along a 60mph dual carriage way which has lots of fixed cameras. I had both the LR Nav running and Waze running for the set route (in both systems) to see how the systems compared. The LR nav didn't warn me about fixed cameras until we were actually directly next to it, where as Waze was the squall warning from some distance.

Re the volume, my understanding is that you can only adjust the volume of alerts when the alert is being played, which you then roll the volume button on the SW or down by the gear selector? Smile

• rupertjamie
    United Kingdom 

Very curious about your point number 3.I had ticked the box for Pre heated/cooled cabin on the build sheet and you are saying it’s already on your new vehicle free of charge .
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    33Lurcher wrote:

Yup - on our way back home yesterday from the long drive, we were going along a 60mph dual carriage way which has lots of fixed cameras. I had both the LR Nav running and Waze running for the set route (in both systems) to see how the systems compared. The LR nav didn't warn me about fixed cameras until we were actually directly next to it, where as Waze was the squall warning from some distance.

Re the volume, my understanding is that you can only adjust the volume of alerts when the alert is being played, which you then roll the volume button on the SW or down by the gear selector? Smile

Thanks for reply , tried to adjust volume as alert indicated but always too late as only get 2 bongs Laughing

• 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Is that pre heating option you mention a Fuel Burning Heater as was fitted as std to my D4 and just needed activating ( I had a remote as well ) .
    That option doesn't involve the engine starting via the remote app as we use now .

Just as a matter of interest I found a bit more about using Pivi Pro on the defender forum as its been in use a bit before us .

• Roli
    Switzerland 

"3. When I downloaded the in-control app, I noticed that I could pre-heat/cool the car and it would start the car remotely to do that. I was under the impression that function was the £1250 "Cabin pre-conditioning with remote control" option, but seemingly not given I didn't spec that, so what does that expensive option do above what I have?!? "

Windy Miller
    Interesting, but did you actually try to start the car using the app?

Roland
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

@Roli (and @rupertjamie) - yup it 100% starts the car, I've tried it a few times and it all works as it described. Shocked

• Roli
    Switzerland 

Thank you.
    Hope my D300 will be the same. It was built March 19th and should be at the dealer by mid April fingers crossed.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The paid for option is the fuel burning heater. The standard option uses the engine for remote warming, which is not great for the engine, I guess. I use the latter all the same as it’s so useful on a frosty day.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • rupertjamie
    United Kingdom 

Thankyou@Equilibrium for answering my query.I was thinking I was paying for the £1250 extra needlessly
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Took it back to the dealer today for a couple of things to be investigated:

1. 2nd Row buttons (on top of the seats to get into the 3rd row), and the recline switches (on the sides) on the 2nd row, were all dead as a dodo when I went to use them for the first time yesterday. The boot buttons were all working though, which was confusing so I put it down to a faulty sensor/switch.
    2. No sign of the 'Animated Directional Indicator' toggle in any of the Pivi Pro menus

30 mins later...

1. In their infinite wisdom, Land Rover have (for some unknown reason!) made those switches part of the 'child lock' button, which I activated as soon as I got in the car (hence why they were dead as a dodo when I tried to use them). So in order for the kids to access the 3rd row I have to remember to open my door and press the switch each time I want to load the kids into the car, and then remember to press it again when I get in so the kids don't fall out! The more I think about it the more annoying it's going to be. Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea?!? Rolling Eyes Censored

2. My car doesn't appear to have left the factory with them(!), even though it should have them, so they are dropping an OTA update tonight/tomorrow for the fix. Anybody else here with a SE or HSE see the option in their menu? (external lights>animation) If not, get onto LR, your indicators should 'sweep', not 'blink'.

Equilibrium wrote:
    The paid for option is the fuel burning heater. The standard option uses the engine for remote warming, which is not great for the engine, I guess. I use the latter all the same as it’s so useful on a frosty day.

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense. Although I'm not sure what harm it could do to the engine, I'd say it's probably a good thing because it allows the diesel/engine to get up to heat a bit more before being used, and the MHEV battery can be used to generate?

Smile

• mwsedgwick

@Wendy Miller

Thanks for the info.

Something I noticed on mine today was that there is no sunglasses holder in the usual place (top centre near spa buttons). Instead I have what looks like a gloss plastic cover that doesn't open

Anyone else notice this?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum