Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ian2206
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Thanks to Wolfpack, Ian and others for your comments. I tried a 32 GB USB...it was .9 of a GB to small to take the update. I never fully understood that the size of the memory sold isn't actually what's available on the device. I now have a 64GB device installed and the download has another 3 and a half hours to run. Its interesting to note that a FAT32 format cannot be installed by a user on a USB bigger than 32 GB, (if I understand correctly) yet the LR software appears to format the USB to this format after asking permission. All in all its a bit of a faff and very poorly explained by LR in their blurb, IMHO. Again thanks all and further comments welcome.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I will probably be shot down for this, but I honestly cannot see what anyone thinks so great about AA or ACP.

I have tried both, and I find they are both has "half finished" as each other.

I do wish that the infotainment system on the D5 was faster, but the Nav is good, media player OK, and it does everything I need/want.

Why do we need to plug in our phones and have the apps from our phone on the screen?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Nebc100 - each to their own and you shouldn’t be shot down.

For me - after ten years with BMW iDrive, I knew that ICTP was a step back in many ways.

What CarPlay gives me - the ability to stream music at lossless/HiFi via Apple Music or Deezer. With a good interface into playing that music/accessing the library.

For navigation - Waze is a genius in traffic. When you want the fastest route through the urban grind, Waze will find it. That’s only available in CarPlay. That’s a specific use-case though, outside of needing a way through gridlock I’m sure LR nav is fine. The same advantage of Waze also applied over BMW’s RTTI traffic routing, which I always found to be particularly prone to error on the M4.

Then messaging - hey Siri, message wife, dictate message, job done.

And with Siri generally - the ability to say “navigate to obscure shop x in area y using Waze” and that’s your nav done.

Those are amongst my top reasons and consistency of interface might be another. Jump in another CarPlay equipped car and everything I am used to is right there. No familiarising myself with, say, Toyota or Mercedes infotainment.

Each to their own though.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 

Deletion of maps prior to new database upload

So I have managed to download the latest Europe and Russia map (8.30.122.153) onto a 64GB USB. With an 18GB Wifi speed it took about 6 hours to download, I took the USB to the car and followed the upload instructions.....however I now have no maps in the car and the new version will not upload and I do have a message on the screen telling me to contact m dealer for assistance. The earliest the dealer can help is next Friday.

Has anyone else experienced a map wipe and inability yo upload new data and if so, what was the solution?

Thanks in anticipation.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Hello,

I had this when the update failed.

The issue was actually the USB stick that I was using. The maps hadn't downloaded correctly.

All I had to do was to download the maps again, and then I redid the update and it all returned to normal.

This happens sometimes, but I have never had to go to the dealer to sort it out!!

I suggest that you try downloading the maps again, and try the update. Don't blank the USB stick. Leave the maps that you have currently got in it there. It SHOULD only have to download the ones that are corrupted/missing.

When this has finished, try the update again. You should only have to plug in the stick and then enter the navigation "app" on the ICTP, and it should detect the maps and ask to update.

Let it finish the update (can take a good 20-30 minutes!!) and it should be back to normal again.

Good luck!!
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 

Hi nebc100,
    I did try to re-download over the existing data and it told me that all was completed and 100% downloaded.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

OK... then try to insert the USB stick in the D5, and then see if it will do the map update again.

If it still doesn't work, try blanking the USB stick and downloading again.

If that STILL doesn't work... try a different USB stick.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Have to agree …all the map update issues I experienced were down to the ‘integrity’ of the initial download. I had to download the LR downloader program 3 times…with it formatting the memory stick each time. Eventually the memory stick worked in the car …..but I resolved never to upload the maps again!!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Wolfpack... I have updated the maps every 2 months for since I bought the D5 2.5 years ago.

I have only had issues with the map updates twice (and once on my wife's e-pace).

I wouldn't worry about doing the updates. They work fine.
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Map Updates

I've owned my D5 for nearly a year now and haven't managed to download the update from the LandRover website once - keeps crashing on me!

Nick
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 

Hi Nick,

Advice given to me to help protect against this was to ensure that the computer is not set to go to sleep when there is no keyboard activity otherwise the download will never complete and secondly try rebooting your router before you start the download, sometimes they can get a bit slow if they are left up for very long time
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

Ian

Now why didn't I think of that! Trying it now...

Nick
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

Ian

So great news - thanks for the advice - have now successfully downloaded an update.

However, despite following the installation instructions (engine running, nav system on, insert memory stick) - nada, nothing, zilch. All very frustrating!

Nick
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Are you putting it in the correct USB port?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

I've tried both, including removing my car2play adaptor, which I know works.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum