Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

2.0 litre Hse

Well got back from my 130 mile round trip this evening on a single carriageway road. Car felt nice and planted with smooth acceleration. Engine seems too have bedded in as just hit 1k on route. Still a bit noisy compared too the D4 but can live with it. Felt alot more nimble today plus my brother said hard too believe it's only a 2.0L for such a big car as doing a good job. Possibly cars finally adjusted too my driving style so that probably accounted for the way it drove today.
    Once the turbo kicked in and had spooled up it felt fine. Only thing I had too do was too accelerate from further away behind the car infront too build up some momentum for a safe overtaking manoeuvre. I hope the 3.0l doesn't suffer from this though as not had a chance too fully stretch it's legs on the test drive, but judging by the D4 should be no problem, not too mention the loss in kgs = faster acceleration. Laughing Only other issue I can find is that it's constantly trying too find a happy medium too sit between the gears. Mind you I was pushing the car a bit. In all an impressive engine, for such a hefty car, plus the chassis is an absolute delight. Well balanced comes too mind. Taking the twisty corners with ease and confidence. Slight issue with feeling like a boat as was a bit wallowy but again was pushing on a bit.Stuck too the road like superglue even though road was a bit damp. Confidence inspiring too say the least. Had it a bit offroad as well 12 inches of mud and through a water filled trench. Will put up dirty pics tomorrow. Handled it no problem๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘ Well impressed.

Pulled into petrol station and guy in front said too me AM JUST ADMIRING YOUR WAGON. Thumbs Up

As did the guy in shopping car park THATS A BELTER OF A MOTOR YOU HAVE THERE MATE. Thumbs Up

Quite embarassing and surprising having complete strangers complimenting your car, and an even bigger puzzled look when I told them it wasn't mine. Probably thought I had stolen it. Rolling with laughter

The cars booked in for its ceramic glaze as sussed it out today. Alot of mind-boggling stuff. 7 year warranty with a 2 year on the polish/wax. Be alot easier too clean in future, just a snowfoam and chamois dry.

The detailers said the car looked AWESOME, but the FIRST EDITION was even better too look at plus a joy too work with. Said after the glaze and in the sunlight it was a stunning colour. Never seen that colour before and it hides the scratches really well. So all you lucky guys with a jaffa/tangerine a big Thumbs Up

Quite alot of D4s up my way and alot or rubber necking and double takes from them probably thinking it's a DS initially. A few smiles and thumbs up also as very rare up this neck of the woods as I saw none on the road apart from the dealers forecourt.

So in a nutshell would I have a 2l - No!!
    Used too having the 3l, plus like alot of others on the forum who have caravans and trailers, the 3l is a must.

However if you dont have anything too tow or the need too carry a heavy load, just a family, then the 2l is probably ok for yours needs but personally I would still take the 3 l as it's alot smoother and not struggling too find the right gears. It will be interesting too see what the 3l ingenium engine will be like when it sees the light of day????

Well that's about as honest a review as I can give. Just hope it puts the 2.0l guys minds at rest as once you get used to it it's fine. Thumbs Up

Picking up logs tomorrow so 2 - 3 tonnes depending on how much I get in the trailer and hopefully see how stable it is. Will report my findings tomorrow Thumbs Up

[

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 2nd Apr 2017 8:31 am. Edited 10 times in total
  • Craigp
    England 

Pleased you are enjoying the car. When do you pick yours up?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

It's only a 2 l, much prefer a 3 l but beggars can't be choosers plus I needed a tow bar hence as this was the only one with a towbar I was stuck with it.
    Probably next Friday after all the extras put on it. Need too take a day off work again. Really annoyed garage 65 miles away has it as you can see in photos, only 4 miles on clock with my interior. Had it for weeks. Instead 300 mile round trip every time now. Done 3 trips already, 900 miles when could have got one 130 miles away. My issue could have been sorted out weeks ago instead of waiting for mine to be released from the compound. Had i not put the pressure on about cancelling god knows how long it would have been until I received it Rolling Eyes
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

D5 towing

Well just as well i didn't order the deployable towbar as mine died today. Message on the screen stated towbar can't be found. Was only fitted too the car just over 1 week ago. It stuck half way. So 5 mins later with a bit of gentle persuasion and it finally came back too life. I definitely think there is an intrinsic fault with them hence the shortage. Not good or impressed as is a 2k option dealer fit as 5/6 hour labour apparently. Hence I have always went for the fixed one. Alot safer and more durable and less likely too fail when you need it.

Well I managed too get my logs today picked up 3 tonnes in total. Did 2 runs. The D5 behaved impeccably. No issues at all. Towed just as well if not better than the D4. Possibly maybe due too the fact that the trailer itself weighs exactly 500 kg so its pretty heavy too say the least. Only issue was that the engine was running out of steam pulling 2 tonnes uphill.

Can't wait for my 3l too do a comparison with. I also did a nose weight test 30 secs apart with no change on the trailers load. I have posted the results. Totally inaccurate and pointless and down right dangerous if you take it as gospel, especially for the caravan fraternity on here. Maybe this is why the towbars have ran out?? Testing the dodgy ones Shocked

Plus cars been taxed thank Censored Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 5th Apr 2017 8:13 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Craigp
    England 

Glad to hear about your towing experience. However not too impressed with the nose weight measurement. That is the one thing I was disappointed that the SE did not do. I suppose the weight spread would be sufficient but must admit when I read about it I thought it would give a exact figure. Its also worrying about the towbar packing briefly, that's the 2nd one.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hi Craig, well I can't work out why the discrepancy in the weights. I did another weight test and that was different also. However my phone battery died so no 3rd comparison. I would have assumed given a bang on result not a 25kg difference, which is useless as that could effectively be the straw that breaks the camels back. Dangerous if you ask me. Plus now the tow bars not got any play in it and is solid and the message still comes up if your trying too deploy from the front screen that no towbars been registered albeit can deploy from the boot. Miffed big time Shocked

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 3rd Apr 2017 9:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well 3 watering cans full of water (obviously) into the windscreen washer reservoir and still not filling up. I take it there must an overflow bypass as the water was steadily dribbling inbetween the front wing and dripping onto the tyre. The reason I assumed it's not a leak is because it only dribbles for 15-30 secs odd then once the level drops, it stops dripping. I also used a funnel as initially I assumed that it was the extra water I was spilling whilst filling up. Even with the funnel, still dripping. Its possible there is a crack or leak higher up the reservoir tank and its only stopped leaking once below the crack. I was filling it right too the brim like I always do. Anyone else experienced this issue??? Never come across this before. Possibly a 'safety feature' to prevent an air lock. My car has a small hole on the top of the reservoirs lid too release any pressure hence preventing a vacuum. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 5th Apr 2017 8:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Known issue (SSM73286)..... Routing of the windscreen washer reservoir breather hose. Fix routine defined, and a redesigned fluid bottle is in the works.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Cheers Winger, here was me wondering just how big is the reservoir, as as I had never filled it up before. Was thinking maybe 2 tanks as one for the rear wash wipe also, hence was drinking it like a fish ๐Ÿ  Laughing Hmmmm another fault too add to my checklist. Can't understand why this issue was not sorted beforehand though Shocked
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum