Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mcoy
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

Not only tyres but rims too must be approved for the vehicle.
    There is a European type approval standard for rims and tyres and their use on vehicles: UN/ECE 124 (if I'm not wrong).

Anyhow when I signed the insurance, I gave a copy of the vehicle registration certificate, in the event of an serious accident, the insurance and the authorities, verifies that the car corresponds to what is indicated in the vehicle registration document, if I modified anything with non approved part, the responsibility is mine (my brother-in-law is an insurance lawyer...).

there will be a reason if wheels dimension are reported on the vehicle registration certificate... I think.

For me Laws and rules are not an optional... Thumbs Up
  • ossrider
    United Kingdom 

Hi, I have just placed a thread in general regarding all terrains on 19's as the original fit are 255/60R19. We had 255/55R19 on our previous D4 and I have been trying to find a 255/60 profile. It looks form this thread that others have just fitted 255/55? Is this the way to go? What if any issues are there with that?
    Any advice is appreciated, thank you
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Fitting tyres with a different aspect ratio to the originals whilst retaining the same diameter and width will without doubt affect the speedometer readings either higher or lower totally relative to the side wall height (aspect ratio difference).
    What you need to do is google tyre comparison sizes and then decide which way to go, but ideally retain the same circumference,
    You will find that if you compare JLR's different tyre combinations, that no matter what diameter you choose, the circumferences will all be similar.
    If you wish to fit 19" rims then to retain the same circumference you could fit, if available, 275-55-19.
    that gives a difference of just .44%, it is generally accepted that you can differ by up to 2.5% so there is room to accommodate variations.
    I have 275 55 20 AT3's fitted to 47 offset rims and do not experience any problems. see my photo posted with them fitted.

I hope this helps

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • ossrider
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for taking the time to reply harrythespider. I have looked at a comparison but wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience of any issues etc.

There doesn't seem to be much option for 275/55/19 either in the way of all terrains.

Will just have to stick with the 255/55/19 I think.

Thanks again Thumbs Up
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

osssrider.. That's why I went for 20's.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Mcoy
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

18" rims

For heavy off-road, I chose non omologate rims and pneumatics.

Rims 18" x 8 and pneumatics 265x60 R18. To avoid to have contact with caliper (the most problem is rear), I hadded 30mm spacer. 30mm spacer are serve to avoid contact between rims and wheel's hub stud-bolts.

This configuration is not omologate for public roads, the maximum speed omologate for the pneumatics is 160Km/h , the speedometer shows a speed difference of 7% less.

In off-rad the car is fantastic!!

The only problem is the rear overhang too long!
    P.S.: MY2017 - SE 2000cc. 240CV
  • sabljar
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (180) SE Yulong White

A note that Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac now have the 255/65R19, that I hear is used by the new Defender. Similarly Goodyear Wranger All Terrain Adventure also come in the same size of 255/65R19.

As the D5 "special offroad edition" was coming with a 275/55R20, which size wise is almost the same it "should" fit. I am considering in getting one of them soon.
  • Japseroony
    United Kingdom 

D5Comm wrote:
    Seems it will have to be the General Grabber AT3's then.
    Apparently Duractrac's are only speed rated to 100mph.

On the old Disco4 forum this thread would have on for pages but D5 owners are obviously a different breed. Very quiet on most topics it seems! Rolling Eyes Question

As the legal limit is 70mph in the UK I cannot see this being a problem and doing above 80mph with any off road tyre IMHO is crazy anyway Whistle
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

sabljar wrote:
    A note that Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac now have the 255/65R19, that I hear is used by the new Defender. Similarly Goodyear Wranger All Terrain Adventure also come in the same size of 255/65R19.

As the D5 "special offroad edition" was coming with a 275/55R20, which size wise is almost the same it "should" fit. I am considering in getting one of them soon.

Lots of options now in 275/55-20 - I was running Cooper Discoverer AT3 in that size, but they got really noisy about halfway through their life. When I couldn't take it any more I switched to the Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar in the OE Defender size of 255/60-20. Same sidewall size, same OD, but lighter and much quieter. They're also H rated tires (130mph) so Autobahn runs aren't out of the question, and they are great offroad in anything but very sticky, thick mud or in snow/ice.
  • leeloo
    Luxembourg 

I am considering ordering a D5 and I have a question. Can you fit 19 inch wheels on a P360 ? On the configuration they are not listed as an option, the online manual does mention them as a winter tyre/rim combo. Are they mentioned anywhere as a possibility for this specific engine ? I know for sure 18 will not clear the brake disks, but I would feel more comfortable having 19, every bit of sidewall helps at off road.
  • al3jeel
    Kuwait 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Santorini Black

Goodyear wrangler - defender black 19 wheels With extra spacer
  • al3jeel
    Kuwait 

Goodyear Wrangler /
    Defender ALLOY WHEEL - 19" 6 SPOKE, 'STYLE 6010' WITH GLOSS BLACK FINISH /
    Spacer

• MAPMA
    England 

What's the size of those? 255/65R19?
  • al3jeel
    Kuwait 

255/65R19
  • MAPMA
    England 

I'm considering that size but they're a bit bigger in diameter than the OEM ones. Any issue with clearance in access height when locking the steering wheel to the right or left?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum