Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Gear shift - pointless musing....

Whist cruising effortlessly down the motorway in my new D300 this morning, I started thinking about the change back from a rotary knob gear shift (which I have been using for 10 years in my D4 and previous D5) to a lever shift.

Why are shift levers designed such that you pull them backwards to go forwards and push them forwards to make the car go backwards? Wouldn't it be logical to move the lever in the direction you want the car to travel?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

This could get deep…

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/feb...e-controls

Applying similar logic; are we part of the vehicle or merely driving it? If we are just driving then perhaps there should be an invert option! If we are part of the vehicle then the other end of that same lever (the immersed bit of the mechanism) is moving in the direction the car moves….

I must be old. To me it’s the right way even though it doesn’t seem to make logical sense. Must be related to that 1980s flight sim I once played…

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Doesn’t it come from the action of a manual car, you push it forwards to move, but then pull it backwards to change up.

One theory anyway Whistle

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Think losing the rotary selector is disappointing, much prefer it to stick/lever...
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep.
  • MAPMA
    England 

I think the gear lever on automatic vehicles should be on the steering column the "old American way" (or like the C4 picasso). It frees up a lot of space on the centre console that is needlessly occupied by a lever or rotary knob that you only touch twice when you drive.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I agree with this and it's how Merc does it. My C63S was like this and it just seems to make a lot of sense to me. You still have that centre console down the middle but you can put other stuff on it or make more storage.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Seems a very backwards step. The industry is now moving towards rotary and switch changes and LR, having led the way, are reverting to the old fashioned lever.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I have tried a new shift stick on a Disco Sport. It was horrible, a very retrograde step. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a car with one. The rotary knob is so easy to use and unobtrusive. No doubt they will change it again in time.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum