Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Leaving the forum and selling my Discovery

Hi it's been a while since I've posted anything, I'm leaving the forum and I've sold my discovery, it's still the best car I've ever owned to drive.

The build quality lets it down with problems with a leaking windscreen repaired incorrectly, then started leaking just out of the warranty. Repaired again at a cost to me, new battery £300 water dripping into the fuse box over the years I'm sure shortened if life.

Cooling fluid loss due to a sharp damaged bracket, were it was in the engine it could have only been damaged when the car was being built.

JLR were not interested considering my last 5 car have been Landrovers and the last 3 being brand new, I've moved to Mercedes the only advice I would give to anyone is.

Only buy a Landrover with a long warranty 👍

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Owning a D5 has never been for the faint hearted nor the cash strapped.

Ignoring the £500 car tax, the tyres at £200 a corner, the extortionate servicing bills and the depreciation, it’s a relatively expensive car to buy to start with.

Is it worth it? Dunno, I don’t really quantify it in those terms. It’s an okay drive and you can fit stuff in it easily, but most of the time it sits in the drive unused.

If I had my time again, would I sill buy it? Probably yes. Would I buy another? Probably no and I too have had lots of LRs, but I do think they have changed their target audience.

I see the car as an A to B tool rather than a fashion statement or a possession to judge my status by and that’s where I think I differ from most D5 owners, present company accepted of course. There again, possessions aren’t so important to me anymore, who cares what you have or what you do with it. Laughing
  • Chalkey
    England 

Hi Darras

Thank you for your reply and I agree with your comments, I changed to a Mercedes Vito Van nicely speced.

I needed a new work van so I changed both van and car then bought a Vito Auto, because of covid I re-assessed my situation, some weeks my car stood the drive for 5 days unused.

The Vito is no comparison to a Discovery but a really please with my choice, I only have one tax insurance and mot to worry about.

If I had 4 years trouble free motoring I would have keep the Discovery but I lost confidence in it and was worrying something major would fail and it would cost thousands to repair.

Take care Chalkey

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Me too!
    All the above comments really relate to me.
    Spent at least £250,000 on LR some new some nearly new over 15 years.
    So I’ve left and really not regretting a single day .
    Good luck to the remainers I wish you all well for the future

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I also sold my D5, although I was very pleased with it.

For me it was de lack of distance to cover that made my needs incompatible with diesel,
    also frequent short trips doesn't fare well with diesel. The other car was an F-Type, also
    bought for a purpose : Alpine tours with my son. But he is too bizzy with uni, and my wife
    doesn't like curvy roads and prefers air suspension. And to make the mix more complex,
    the obsession with Dutch government and the EU with CO2..

This all let me to decide to trad in the F-Type and the D5 for a FFRR P400e hybrid petrol.
    On paper it only spews 72gr/km . So if they start with roadtoll based on CO2, then I am safe.

Car drives a bit absent. The D5 has more feel to it. But once it became clear there would never
    be a P300e/P400e D5, my choice was clear. I pondered on the new RR, but just one configuration
    made it clear they are way out of my league when new. And trading in two cars gave me a small
    refund on top..

Doesn't mean I don't miss the roar of the F-Type or the steady, seamingly endless torque of the D5.. Crying or Very sad

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Craigp
    England 

Well I'm very happy with mine. Rolling with laughter
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Good to hear your are, enjoy !!

PS. Why don't you add model and year to you signature ?

Idea

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Craigp
    England 

Never felt a need.

(Which is code for never noticed that others had or where to do it) Rolling Eyes

MY2017 3 litre SE had it from new. Very few problems. There I've jinxed it now.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

V6 is nice....

Only drive it long distance, always drive like you have an egg on your accelerator when cold.

I used to have a DEFA electric engine heater (there are many manufacturers), to heat the cooling liquid

when very cold. Car is from 2006. Did 450.000km sofar, with other owner since end of 2019.

First engine, first gearbox. Megaflush every 120.000 km.

We drove to the Algarve with it every year. Was a D3 TdV6, slightly tuned engine.

• Craigp
    England 

Only done about 35k in mine since I got it in 2017. A little down on what I would normally do due to you know what. I use it to pull a twin axle caravan and a boat. (Not at the same time) both around the 2 ton Mark. It does it effortlessly. Also just enjoy driving it on its own as well. New one on order but goodness knows when that will arrive.
  • Chalkey
    England 

My car only had 30k on it, it was a 2017 bought from new but still had to many problems with it. I asked JLR for a extended warranty considering water dripping into my fuse box but they wasn't interested.

Only buy a JLR car with a long warranty

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Did you ask your dealer, or the customer service ? Its no more then fair they cover
    risks resulting from previous failures of a new vehicle. Certainly with such a low mileage.

You are quite right to leave the brand, if they don't offer a proper solution. Rolling Eyes

• Chalkey
    England 

I asked for a extended warranty when the car was only 12 months old because of the water damage. Then when the car was just over 3 years old and outside the warranty the windscreen failed again, my dealer could only repair it until the following week, and asking me to pay the bill then try to then get JLR to refund me.

Water pouring in to the car and dripping on the gear selector and also dripping into fuse box located in the passenger clove box, I got the car repaired my self the next day.

If JLR were so confident with the car they would have extended the warranty, I believe in Australia and the US they get a 5 year warranty, us brits being ripped off as usual.

JLR are only interested in new customers not retaining old ones, I must have sent over a dozen emails with videos, photos of watering dripping into my car and also the damage bracket that caused cooling fluid loss which could have only been damaged when the car was being built.

JLR were not interested, there last email to me ended with " This is our last and final decision " in other words get lost, do one or F--- --f

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Don't you have a consumer protection agency ? In 2020 you still were under
    EU regulations. Anyway, you bought the car under EU rules so they applied anyhow.

Best thing : reject the car with a leak. Then it was only a year old. They would have
    come back with an extended warranty to appease you I think.

I otherwise you should have made a big stink. There would be lawyers on the forum
    I guess, but that's too late now.

Really sadthey let customers down like this. And then their home market ; never soil your
    own nest is not for nothing a proverb. With that China is a shining example.

There JLR had to replace any engine with a broken crankshaft. And Tesla got
    6 months to replace all lower suspension brackets in the front, Other wise they
    were simply forbidden to sell any car.

Good luck with you next car !

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

The primary aim of any business is to make money by maximising profits. Everything else is secondary to this purpose.

If they think repairing a few vehicles will help that aim, then they will, if not, they simply won’t bother.

At the moment they can sell any car coming off the production line, so they don’t need to retain customers. That’s the problem.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum