Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Whippetman
    England 

When my engine failed at 27000 miles I was told the new engine was only guaranteed with in the original 3 year warranty.
    Loaner car was only for 11 days quote “ That’s LR HQ policy” unquote.
    Well I told them they would have to pick it up from Cornwall and deliver another so ensued another filthy unnecessary argument which I eventually won.
    That was the last time I engaged with that Somerset stealer.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the heads up. Thumbs Up Hopefully the situation won’t occur.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

The car is ready to collect. It’s had a new engine rather than reconditioned. I asked about the price £10k trade, £14k retail. I’d think the labour is on top.

Anyway, whilst washing it this afternoon they saw the windscreen was leaking. It’s not within the chassis range for a free fix nor is it covered on the LR warranty, so the cost for refixing is £150. I just told them to go ahead and I’ll pick it up next week.

I’ve had a curtesy car all this time, so can’t complain. It’s been a painless experience tbh.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Glad you found it painless.
    My experience was similar to yours I just lost all confidence in the car and the stealeriships .
    Not missing the 27-32 MPG Or having to pay £1000 pa for a LR warranty.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes, it seems identical to your experience.

My normal weekly usage is couple of 10 mile round trips to the supermarket and sometimes a Sunday drive and that’s it.

I can’t say I depend on the car for anything and I could use my wife’s car if push came to shove.

I’ll see how I feel one I’ve picked it up.
  • Craigp
    England 

Just for interest. Are the replacement engines "new improved" or another failure waiting to happen?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

The reconditioned ones aren’t. The new ones have over 200 improvements apparently. I didn’t know there were 200 parts to improve personally.

The service manager told me that my LR record and servicing will all be updated with the new engine and that just to continue with the servicing as if it never got changed. Won’t make much difference as I got it serviced the end of May anyway.

Anyway, it’s taken 6-7 weeks from diagnosis and the engine being on back order to the job being completed. I’d been expecting Christmas time, so not bad.
  • Craigp
    England 

Thumbs Up
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I bet you’ll be glad to get it back. I would argue the £150 with them as really, that’s a drop in the ocean with how much the engine work was and consider it as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience?

That said if you’ve had a painless experience and happy then so be it.

If I ever get this leaking windscreen. My windscreen will develop a crack and I’ll be claiming under the insurance!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Hi, I’ve sent LRCS an email about it. I can’t see why given the identical symptoms, but outside the VIN range I should have to pay. An incomplete or faulty seal is simply that.

Either way, it’s not the end of the world.

I did think about the insurance, but it’s £140 excess for a complete screen, so there’s nothing in it, plus I am on the original screen.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I insisted my leaking windscreen was replaced at my premises, so I could see the issue myself and discuss with the windscreen technician. The dealer agreed as it suited their schedule as well.
    The windscreen company technician showed me that the problem was the primer on the glass that was lifting. Not the sealant itself, but the coating that bonded the sealant to the glass.

It was clear to him that this was a manufacturing fault which he had seen even on MY 20/21 cars, and as such I argued with the dealer there should be no charge irrespective of vin number. They agreed to waive the fee.

A small victory I know.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, I’ll bear it in mind. Should be done today, but I might not make it to the dealership.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Got the car back. It sounds fine. Apparently because LR warranty covered the cost of the repair and there was a VAT bill, it’s covered by LRs two year warranty irrespective of my LR extended warranty.

Paid the £150 for the windscreen work and was told that the drivers window had develop a fault, so the mechanism had been replaced via the warranty.

Only thing I noticed was the true pressures were down 3psi all round and it flashed an amber. Not surprising as it’s been 6 weeks since they took it in.

Told there was no running in for the engine and to monitor the levels for a spell. LR will update my vehicles records automatically,
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Don’t forget you will still need to update you V5 with the DVLA for the change in engine number though…

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Flying Scotsman

2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Namib Orange

Well, I have officially joined the club, engine went bang on 8th December, crankshaft bearings by one staff member and shells by another, so I have been informed. The car has only 28000 miles, although its 5 years old, fully serviced at a Landrover dealer prior to my purchase a few months ago. The car is now with Landrover as they are paying 90% of the bill for the new replacement engine and the warranty are picking up the other 10%. Just waiting on the call to go and collect it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum