Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Thanks for that Russell. I am due to pick mine up hopefully latest Tuesday. Thursday morning off to Scotland with the van also twin axle and 2 ton. Not ideal at all would have liked to put on a few miles but may not be possible. As you are aware there has been a couple of shall we say alarming reports. So I'm going to ignore those and concentrate on yours. Was the plug fully wired i.e. power to fridge etc.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Didn't look at the fridge or even turn it on. All electrics worked OK for the lights so that was OK

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

What was the max. speed you were driving with the caravan Russell?

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

In this country it is 60mph .........................
    It was stable at that and Whistle

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Good news, perhaps the OP could re name the title of the Thread to Towing Feedback Required?
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I have been changing the opening message as things progressed but I don't think I can change the title. Maybe Martin can comment.

I'll edit the OP accordingly.

Cheers

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

Russell wrote:

Right after all the panic over stability made time today to get out with the caravan.

Car D5 1st edition with detachable tow bar no tow assist
    Caravan Swift Elegance 645 twin axle with ATC

Tyres all set at the recommenced weights and nose weight 105 kg

Drove about 45 miles on a variety of roads a lot of it was on a fast A roads with lots of traffic going both ways. Started off steady as was not sure what I may encounter, no real issues ad o be honest going out the town was more settled than the D4. Got on the open roads and found no issues, it is different to the D4 but every D4 has been different to the others anyway.
    After doing a few miles I was happy and went for it a bit more doing the speed limit and may be a bit more when safe to do so. I was happy with the way it handle and had no concerns at all, even tried a bit of swerving at speed to see how stable it was when the road was clear and safe to do so. I did not go on a motorway but did get buffeted by HGVs going the other way.
    Overall very happy and not concerned, am not saying this is a definitive test and that there will be no issues on a motorway or longer drive but could not get it to feel unsettled while on this run out.

Glad everything went well for you Thumbs Up In reply to your earlier question, I had a long chat with the dealership when I returned the car and they said they would contact JLR and make them aware of my experience.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

I tried a lot to make it feel unstable and had no concerns, I did not drive on a motorway so there is still the chance of issues there. However I did drive on an "A" road with loads of traffic and buffeting from vans and HGVs going the other way. As I also said elsewhere coming out of my town it actually felt more settled than the D4

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

B16 KJR wrote:
    Russell wrote:

Right after all the panic over stability made time today to get out with the caravan.

Car D5 1st edition with detachable tow bar no tow assist
    Caravan Swift Elegance 645 twin axle with ATC

Tyres all set at the recommenced weights and nose weight 105 kg

Drove about 45 miles on a variety of roads a lot of it was on a fast A roads with lots of traffic going both ways. Started off steady as was not sure what I may encounter, no real issues ad o be honest going out the town was more settled than the D4. Got on the open roads and found no issues, it is different to the D4 but every D4 has been different to the others anyway.
    After doing a few miles I was happy and went for it a bit more doing the speed limit and may be a bit more when safe to do so. I was happy with the way it handle and had no concerns at all, even tried a bit of swerving at speed to see how stable it was when the road was clear and safe to do so. I did not go on a motorway but did get buffeted by HGVs going the other way.
    Overall very happy and not concerned, am not saying this is a definitive test and that there will be no issues on a motorway or longer drive but could not get it to feel unsettled while on this run out.

Glad everything went well for you Thumbs Up In reply to your earlier question, I had a long chat with the dealership when I returned the car and they said they would contact JLR and make them aware of my experience.

Stunning colour Russ, almost looks like copper when the sun is hitting it awesome Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Thanks and yes it seems to change colour dependent on light and shade etc

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

(Sorry for the late update guys. Just not long had my tea as a really busy day - shattered)

Well I took the car trailer out loaded with the car, 8 wheels and toolbox - ( 2 tonnes). Was on the duel carriageway with the D5 and all seemed fine at 50 mph and 60 mph. However took it up too 70mph and it did not seem as steady or surefooted as the D4 did. A bit of sway from the trailer rear, but nothing overly alarming.

(I took the D4 too Germany last year with the car and my Yamaha R1 as well, both on the trailer, heading too the Nurburgring. Sat at 100mph plus on the Autobahn all the way and the car never flinched - steady as a rock)

My brother took over and also found the same happening. Nose weight was fine all 4 tyre pressures fine on the trailer and checked car tyre pressures which were also fine.

Decided too take his D4 out as a comparison and it was steady as a rock at 70 mph. I then drove it on the D4 and it felt alot more surefooted at 70mph. Never missed a beat.

Really puzzled as last weekend pulled 2 tonnes in home made trailer single axle, no problem whatsoever in the D5.

Only conclusion is that the car transporter is quite a bit longer than home made trailer, hence understandable the swaying issue. I also took out the small trailer for the kids quad bikes and it towed no problem.

Well maybe it's possible that the softer wallowy suspension on the D5 is causing a conflict, as the D4 rides alot less boat like. Hence the issues with the majority of the Caravanners on here. I also noted that with the smaller trailer it was not an issue at all. Seems the only issues as far as I can see is that it's the longer vehicles that are causing the issues not the smaller ones which are being towed.

Would have been good if LR had reintroduced the ACE system too reduce roll as I think this would have helped stabilise any swinging. Or if the car,
    when put into sports mode automatically stiffens the suspension too eliminate body roll.

Possibility the 480 kg loss and monocoque chassis may also contribute too the issues.

Again the deployable tow bar may be an issue. I dont know what it is but am not overly confident with it compared too a fixed one. Again I had issues with the damn thing not deploying and part deploying and trying too disemploy with the trailer still attached Sad

Anyway that's it in a nutshell am afraid. Too summarise it could be any of these issues I think may be a problem or a combination of all of them.

Towbar type
    Soft suspension
    Longer vehicles being towed ( longer than the D5)
    Chassis type
    Weight loss of 480 kg

Stay at 60mph or 70 mph max if overtaking is my advice Thumbs Up

Mind you this does not mean my test run is 100 percent accurate, as it may vary depending on the drivers driving style or on the individual car, the way it's been set up etc.

Also my sons go pro somehow dislodged itself and its wrecked, so can't upload any videos. Someone must have ran over it on the road and its been pancaked. Well gutted Sad

Take note LR, am doing towing test runs on your behalf, and ruining my equipment in the process Big Cry

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 9th Apr 2017 11:12 am. Edited 5 times in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Russell wrote:
    Thanks and yes it seems to change colour dependent on light and shade etc

No problem mate credit where it's due Thumbs Up
    Am sure the silver first edition had a green/purple tinge too it when it hit the light. Cracking colour which suited the D5 but not a fan of it on the D4 or D3. Seems every colour suits the D5 apart from the white which am not too keen on. Sorry guys if anyones ordered a white one.
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

A great looking outfit you've got there Russell!
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks for that roadrunner . I think. So the pendulum swings the other way. Hopefully I will get my chance on Tuesday.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hi Craig, just be careful mate that's all I can say and gradually increase your speed. Dont just floor it up too 60- 70mph. (I gradually increased my speed yesterday).
    I had the smaller trailer out today 335 kg in it and was fine. Loaded too the maximum weight. Also it has rubber torsion independent suspension and shock absorbers as well, so makes it a very smooth tow and the bouncing is virtually eliminated. Even when empty it hardly ever bounces on a smooth road, only on an uneven road surface. Compared too the older trailer with no shock absorbers. It dances about when empty and even with 250 kg the max weight it still jumps up and down on the road. Interesting too see how many caravan owners actually have shocks on their vans or don't have. Maybe this could be another possible issue??? Vans with no shocks are having stability issues, whereas vans with shocks do not have stability issues. Food for thought Rolling Eyes
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum