Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RyanRC
    United States 

No Android?

Hello all

Just to note before I go into this that I have never owned a Land Rover vehicle before, or anything that was made by LRJ, so while I am a bit tech savvy I am really green to their systems.

So I was just skimming through the iGuide and looking at the section for Portable Media Connections, and I noticed out of all the devices that could be connected that the system would recognize that there was nothing among the lists that mentioned anything about a Android device.

Also in looking through the Portable Media Controls section, there is no mention of Android there either.

As a matter of fact, I used the search feature of the app an typed in Android and it had no results.

So does this mean if you have something that runs on the Android operating system, it cannot be used with the car?

Or perhaps to answer my own question, when they mention a USB mass storage device or something that uses FAT or FAT32...is that where just about any Android device would apply?

If that is the case, can anyone tell me if all the controls that can be used in the Media Library part of the cars iControl work the same with a Android device as say a Apple device? An are for the same as far as what it would display for info...or are there limits and things that don't work the same?

For the count shown in the Portable Media Control part of the iGuide, they list 14 different displays and action points, and I just wonder if all those will be there with my Android device and also work the same?

Thanks for any help.
  • eelpout
    United States 

I'll let you know about media, haven't tried that yet, I have a Sony Xperia XZ running Android 7.x.

When I've hooked it up to the on-board USB ports though, the InControl app is recognized, so I imagine music on the device would be as well.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I'm using a OnePlus3T (Android 7.1.1) and it works as per the manual.

The annoying thing is that the Land Rover app on the phone only recognises media that's stored on the phone but won't let me stream for example Amazon Music or Spotify.

To get Streaming music to work I have to unplug the device, link it to the car by bluetooth and bypass the Land Rover software entirely.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

The LR system is much friendlier to the iPhone and, indeed, some of the under-the-hood bits, like the web browser, seem to show the same traits.
  • eelpout
    United States 

stuart_f wrote:

The annoying thing is that the Land Rover app on the phone only recognises media that's stored on the phone but won't let me stream for example Amazon Music or Spotify.

To get Streaming music to work I have to unplug the device, link it to the car by bluetooth and bypass the Land Rover software entirely.

You can launch the Spotify app via the Music icon in the LR InControl Apps app for streaming through the car's interface.

Which leads me to a complaint. For some apps you'll have to install two apps, one for the phone and one for the car. It reaches the height of silliness for a nav app like Sygic, yes, you have to install two apps, two licenses and two sets of maps!. :p

Though to be fair to Sygic, I think they've made their in-car compatible app work on the phone too. I'll have to see if I can transfer my license from their GPS app to their Car app.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I don't get a Spotify option.

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Spotify is only supported on iPhones. Big Cry
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

Buy a second hand iPod Touch on ebay for 60 quid and plug that in????
  • eelpout
    United States 

jimbg wrote:
    Spotify is only supported on iPhones. Big Cry
    yeah, I'm having trouble getting it launched on Android. I get this error about having to set permissions on the phone, but nothing specific about what to fix. :/
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum