Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flatcoat
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

So far my 3.0L Diesel L462 has been into the Dealer for Ad-Blue and Oil 4 times.......

3,500 miles 13th April '17 14 litres of Ad-Blue
    7,440 miles 11th July '17 13.9 litres of Ad-Blue + Oil & Filter Change (Dilution)
    11,343 miles 6th Oct '17 13 litres of Ad-Blue
    12,406 miles 6th Nov '17 Oil & Filter Change (Dilution)

The next service warning was reset on the 6th Nov with a massive 3,600 miles 'til the next Oil Change (i.e. 16,000 total as per the 1st Regular service period).

To me, it is totally unreasonable to expect customers to bring their vehicles back on such a regular basis when the advertised service intervals were expected to be 16,000 miles.!

I have a Case started with Land Rover UK to find out what the fix for all this is and as Disco John said previously, what is the longterm damage to the Engine and ultimately the depreciation in value of this vehicle in the secondhand market.

I think the overall vehicle is truly excellent and a great place for Adults, Kids and Dogs. However the continual return to the Dealer for Oil & Ad-Blue is doing my head in......aaaaaarrrrrrh

I will be asking Land Rover for an additional 2-years Warranty on the vehicle (Free of Charge) to cover any engine issues......!!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

FC that mirrors my issue but with not so many miles. I also have a case running with LR and am awaiting a reply which they keep promising every week but with no joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My "oil service due in XXXX" indicator came on over the holiday weekend (4500 miles on the odo) after a couple short (100mi) round-trips with steep mountain driving - went from 3500 miles to under 1500 miles in a few days' time, even with some driving on my part that should have resulted in passive regen. Waiting on a call back from my service manager.

I poked around a couple other forums - the RRS seems to be having some similar issues.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-...iesel.html

To wit (emphasis mine):

"Reference SSM72769

Models Range Rover / L405
    Range Rover Sport / L494

Title Diesel Service Interval Indicator (Sll) is Displayed Sooner than Expected
    Category Engine
    Last modified 17-Jun-2016 00:00:00
    Symptom 401000 Oil System Concerns

Issue:
    The customer may observe the service indicator message is displayed in the instrument cluster when the mileage or time to service is below the 16,000 miles (26,000 km) or 12 month service interval.

Cause:
    Service intervals for vehicles with diesel engines are​ ​variable; the speed and duration of journeys, particularly city driving, can in some cases affect service frequency.​
    In many cases this is normal behavior and is industry standard for vehicles equipped with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF).
    However, there are error states which can lead to increased number of DPF regenerations or increased duration of regeneration. Such a scenario will increase oil dilution and drive the Service Required message to be displayed sooner than normal.

Action:
    If the 'Service Required' indicator is displayed sooner than expected, collect a session file from the vehicle, raise a TA and attach the session file on to the case. The helpline team will provide further information of actions to take on the vehicle.
  • J77
    Scotland 

My one was in a while back for this, but my dealer didn’t do an oil or filter change as they didn’t deem it necessary. Apparently my engine oil dilution is “only” 5%. Car still showing 3500 miles to first service, was down at 1700 with warning on the dash but had risen by the time the car visited the dealer.

Currently got 4100 miles on the clock (only gets used on my days off), so by the cars calculations it’s first service will be 7600 miles. Dealer doesn’t think it’s a problem and nothing to worry about and just bring it in in March.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Francesco
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Farallon Black

Update my post. I have travelled to other Km 1000 and are now totalling Km 7700. I think the problem is with oil control software because the service interval from Km 2000 originates in Km 5400, then dropped to 950, to 900. At this point the dashboard was also turned on. Yesterday i did about 300 km on the highway, at a speed of about 110/120 Km/h, and now the on-board computer indicates that Km 4000 is needed oil change. I therefore believe that the software calculates an oil change hypothesis and not a real oil dilution. In Italy, the engine oil should be replaced at 16,000 Km or every 12 months

First edition farralon black
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Interesting. I wonder if there is a quality issue with some of the sensors resulting in errors for some but not all. Or perhaps diesel fuel formulation and additives that are market-specific are contributing.

My service advisor called back and I popped over to my dealer. He stuck to the 16,000 mile service interval party line with a "recommended" oil change every 8,000 miles, and reset the service interval. Now reads 10,590 miles or some such.

If there is a sensor that's sensing diesel dilution, and this sensor is not faulty, and diesel dilution is happening much faster than anticipated, then without an oil change, the service due mileage should very rapidly drop and I would expect that within a couple weeks or less I should get another notice. If that happens, I'll politely point him in the direction of this forum and others.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

One of the earlier threads mentions (quoted from the Topix bulletin) that oil dilution is calculated based on the number of active generation cycles rather than any measurement hence the reference to driving styles. Mine has just hit 9000 miles, had all software upgraded and was recalibrated with an oil and filter change. It is showing another change required in 3200 miles already so it looks like it is not fixed.
  • Craigp
    England 

Or your driving style is Censored Whistle
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Just had call from LR and they have said we know there is an issue and a service patch will be ready January
    But they did say that for September October November and December Shocked

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Very Happy
    Could be, it would of course be great if JLR could define what driving style I need to adopt to get anywhere near the published amounts. In all seriousness my main commute is motorway, and around 20 miles each way, so not really start stop city driving and hasn't changed since my D4 (but that was a pre-adblue MY14).
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

neilk wrote:
    One of the earlier threads mentions (quoted from the Topix bulletin) that oil dilution is calculated based on the number of active generation cycles rather than any measurement hence the reference to driving styles. Mine has just hit 9000 miles, had all software upgraded and was recalibrated with an oil and filter change. It is showing another change required in 3200 miles already so it looks like it is not fixed.

So, unless there is an error in calculating either how many regen cycles have passed (not likely), and/or there is more frequent regen than is necessary (possible), if a service advisor is simply resetting the service interval then they could be doing long-term damage to the engine by permitting increased wear.

Super. Rolling Eyes
  • stick
    United Kingdom 

My wife has a Porsche Macan so I sometimes drop in their forum. You might be interested to see LR are not the only folks having trouble...this is copied from a thread there and is self-explanatory

"So just been informed that the nightmare is nearly over !!

We collected our SD back in April and was initially extremely pleased with it. However after only a couple of weeks the dreaded Regen warning light came on. Numerous visits to the OPC ensued (6 in total) with the same fault and we were eventually told that the car doesn't fit our needs and they would give us a full refund, put us in a loan 2.0 petrol and get us a build slot for a 3.0 S petrol. The OPC (Bolton) have been extremely helpful throughout the process and i cannot praise them enough. Anyway, our new S petrol has just landed in the UK yesterday and we hope to take delivery at some point next week. Needless to say, we hope that this one restores our faith in the Macan !!"
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

VAG diesels have their own special challenges Twisted Evil - but they also have a notification that tells you when to go out and drive it to force passive regeneration. That is the warning referenced in the post above. It requires you to get on the highway, put it at higher RPM, and drive for 30-45 minutes. Once the DPF clears, the warning goes out. Audi makes all the diesels that Porsche uses, and they love their warning lights. Rolling Eyes

It wouldn't surprise me that their solution requires forced passive regeneration more frequently now that they've been forced to turn on their emissions controls all the time.

I'm willing to bet JLR doesn't want to bother its owners with a potentially alarming and confusing warning light and have chosen a higher rate of active regen through post injection rather than asking their owners to go out and drive. Personally, I love driving, so any excuse I can get, I'll take. Very Happy
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Russell wrote:
    Just had call from LR and they have said we know there is an issue and a service patch will be ready January
    But they did say that for September October November and December Shocked

They have a fix out for the FFRR and RRS, but the D5 was deliberately excluded. There is a bulletin that supports what LR told you. January is the target.
  • J77
    Scotland 

All credit to Astonbuilder over on Disco4.com

Not sure if this is old or not. But a lot of “at customer expense” appears

Not in order

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum