Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

My car screen has popped up with the need to update - again! God this is becoming a monthly bore.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Labbix wrote:
    A Mac is a bit different, it doesn’t really clean the usb/hard drive/... after you dropped stuff in the bin... so download this one here, it’s free:

https://macpaw.com/cleanmydrive

Than clean your usb and all should be good!

I formatted the USB drive so its empty.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I have same issue with 32gb formatted in Windows 10, always worked previously, now says not enough space. Has anyone actually been able to get the latest update and if so, how much space is it actually taking on usb stick?

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Dangerdave wrote:
    My car screen has popped up with the need to update - again! God this is becoming a monthly bore.

you do it monthly? Why? Intrigued.

Do the Roads round you really change that much? Laughing

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

I for one am impressed that they have such commitment to keeping the maps up to date. On my previous BMWs you would have to pay £49 a time for an update. Once a month is keen, but the amount of in car nav's I've had where I've been driving through a 'field' 6 years after it became the busiest carriage way in the area Rolling with laughter
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1 wrote:
    I have same issue with 32gb formatted in Windows 10, always worked previously, now says not enough space. Has anyone actually been able to get the latest update and if so, how much space is it actually taking on usb stick?

Hmm, sounds like you need to delete some partitions etc. This is the trouble with the Fat32 -32GB limit...latest update is 28.6 hence close a lot of devices capacity. And In control only allows fat32... Censored

Fortunately i have 64GB so just formatted as Fat32 now but is a pain.

• LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

Tempted wrote:
    I for one am impressed that they have such commitment to keeping the maps up to date. On my previous BMWs you would have to pay £49 a time for an update. Once a month is keen, but the amount of in car nav's I've had where I've been driving through a 'field' 6 years after it became the busiest carriage way in the area Rolling with laughter

haha yes i drive through fields every night in my truck...hence why i never use the built in nav. WAZE every time for me...but i note Google maps is rapidly cacthing up.. Rolling Eyes

• Tempted
    United Kingdom 

LancsLad wrote:
    ...This is the trouble with the Fat32 -32GB limit...latest update is 28.6 hence close a lot of devices capacity. And In control only allows fat32... Censored

The maximum partition size for FAT32 is 2TB, with a limitation of that file system being maximum single file size of 4GB. Windows 8 and Windows 10 aren't all that helpful when it comes to formatting in FAT32. I had to download a freeware app, although it all worked fine.

I have a 64GB drive just for map updates and a 128GB for my son's movies. According to the InControl documentation, 128GB USB drives are the biggest you can go.

Last edited by Tempted on 3rd Jun 2019 9:02 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

LancsLad wrote:
    Dangerdave wrote:

you do it monthly? Why? Intrigued.

Do the Roads round you really change that much? Laughing

Nope, normally one road in, one out, sometimes the same, but I hate getting reminders on screen, plus I keep thinking if I go further afield it might be useful and then what happens if I miss an update, will it be more bother to do?
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

[quote="Tempted"]
    LancsLad wrote:
    Trevorb1 wrote:
    ...This is the trouble with the Fat32 -32GB limit...latest update is 28.6 hence close a lot of devices capacity. And In control only allows fat32... Censored

The maximum partition size for FAT32 is 2TB, with a limitation of that file system being maximum single file size of 4GB. Windows 8 and Windows 10 aren't all that helpful when it comes to formatting in FAT32. I had to download a freeware app, although it all worked fine.

I have a 64GB drive just for map updates and a 128GB for my son's movies. According to the InControl documentation, 128GB USB drives are the biggest you can go.

Correct I meant that Microsoft has a 32gb limit to push folk to NTFS hence the need for freeware like AOMEI . sorry i wasn't clearer.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

So why won’t the map download app download the 28GB of map data when I have 30GB free space? It’s not unpacked on the usb stick and only copied over to the car for it to unpack and install.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

It's plausible that your USB stick has a 'hidden' partition for recovery purposes or just has on it some utilities that came with it (they often do). Either of these situations could use up enough space to prevent you having sufficient left.

If it were me, I would just format it again and start afresh. If you're on Windows 8 or 10, the application LancsLad mentioned is very straightforward and will allow you to format the drive using the appropriate formatting type (FAT32).

Edit: Sorry, you did say you have 30GB left, which would rule out my theory. Anyway, I would format and start again Thumbs Up
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

+1 I'd give it a shot.

Downloaded latest update this morning onto 64GB formatted as fat32 no issues. Took about 50 mins on a 100mb uncontended LL
    For anyone that's really struggling to download,try and find a mate that's got a commercial leased line, makes a huge difference. our 100mb isn't particularity light speed these days but its the lack of contention that is the key.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The update said successful but it’s now stuck on a map.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Tempted wrote:
    It's plausible that your USB stick has a 'hidden' partition for recovery purposes or just has on it some utilities that came with it (they often do). Either of these situations could use up enough space to prevent you having sufficient left.

If it were me, I would just format it again and start afresh. If you're on Windows 8 or 10, the application LancsLad mentioned is very straightforward and will allow you to format the drive using the appropriate formatting type (FAT32).

Edit: Sorry, you did say you have 30GB left, which would rule out my theory. Anyway, I would format and start again Thumbs Up

I’ve already tried to reformat and there are no additional partitions listed Confused

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum