Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Media (USB) ports dropping power

My D5 has had the latest ICTP updates, a new media port panel (seems a different layout too) but when connecting my iPhone 7plus or any other phone, the power from the USB keeps dropping out and coming back. Anyone know if this is software (system not correctly connecting to the phones) or other hardware fault?

When updating maps via either port there is no issue and the memory stick is powered through the whole 20 minute or so process.

Some days the power is constant. Like yesterday. Today the power randomly dropping. Of course this also disconnects the phone as a media player too. Eventually the car refuses to see the phone for music even if the power stays on.

These are the ports under the armrest/centre cubby box. I have no RSE.

Driving me nuts !!

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Is the cable you are using USB 3.0 compatible Simon?
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

I’ve tried numerous Apple cables and third party cables. All the same result. TBH it won’t make any difference as power is on the same connector. Data is faster yes, but it’s not like an HDMI cable where it has logic in the cable. AFAIK.

The passenger side usb charges the phone constantly but the system doesn’t ever see it as a media device.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Not Apple savvy tbh but I take it that you have told your phone to trust the LR system (not sure even if it works like that Smile )

Quote:
    Change your settings for trusted computers
    Your iOS device remembers the computers you've chosen to trust.

If you don't want to trust a computer or other device anymore, change the privacy settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. Now when you connect to formerly trusted computers, the Trust alert will ask you whether you trust that computer.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

It doesn’t ask for trust. It’s just being accessed to stream music not transfer files. Regardless, power should be constant.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Odd then Confused
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Beyond odd. Bloody irritating 😠

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

In fact the same cable and same phones work perfectly if plugged into a USB charger in the 12V socket.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Kuehltruhe
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I have the exact same problem. Had it first with my iPhone 6s Plus and now again with my iPhone X. Since it happened with both phones and different versions of iOS I think it is not the phone that causes this issue. I have tried different cables as well - to no avail. Sometimes it works for days, just to disconnect again and again on the next day. After the disconnect, my car will not recognize the phone at all, even after unplugging the cable the iPhone does not show up in the sources list via bluetooth (handsfree is still working though).
    Either there is an electrical problem causing this (maybe too much power needed by air conditioning or some other electrical interference) or it's a software issue. I don't know, but it's annoying as hell.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Thanks !

I'm glad I'm not alone in this now - I think its software as I'm sure prior to the ICTP Phase 3 update it was working reliably.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Kuehltruhe
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I got my D5 in March 2017 and have not gotten any software update since then, so my D5 is certainly not running phase 3. If it is a software bug, it has been there for ages...

EDIT: on another note, I a not sure it is actually dropping power. Could be it's only the USB data connection breaking. Will check next time this happens.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Ah.. understood re software levels.

It's definitely dropping power / connection totally on mine. The phones keep 'binging' as the power comes back on and the screen wakes up. As it does when you connect a phone charger. Also the phone then disappears form the connected devices list.

So the car is disconnecting and reconnecting - effectively both power and data connection are dropped. It remains connected via BlueTooth always though for hand free phone use.

Once it gets disconnected it revert music and audio output to BlueTooth. When it reconnects it drops audio output from BlueTooth (phone function remains) back to the USB. Then gets confused and stops seeing the phones altogether,

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Had a similar issue and it was fluff in the phone cable connector stopping the cable going in 'balls deep' Embarassed
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Balls deep Rolling with laughter

Not that mate. Tried multiple cables on different phones. Same cable and phone receive power without issue from a USB charger socket. It's the only when using the Media ports that I see the issue.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Well so far the update to Phase 4 seems to have fixed the USB power issue I was having... time will see if it stays stable.

On the minus side, I get no audio from my phone either via Bluetooth or connected to the USB ports now Twisted Evil

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum