Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Rear Side shades

this is a tip for anyone who was thinking of buying the JLR 2nd row sun shades (and probably 3rd row too), DON'T they are Censored . they are annoying to put on and they keep coming off because they don't quite fit as they should and don't even think about opening a window cos you'll just waste £60 as they'll fly off.

i am shocked that these 'luxury' cars don't come with built in shades or aren't even an option tbh.

anyways just a heads up for those of you who were thinking of getting them.

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Good tip.

My Audi had pull up blinds and I'm pretty sure many less premium brands than Audi or LR have built in window blinds as standard on mid spec models,

I gave up years ago comparing what I had in my LR's with other cars... generally they have the same if not a better collection of gadgets, accessories etc all built in.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Labbix

Ok, I have them both: my opinion: the Audi ones: great until the little kid broke the plastic holder: 240€ to have it changed, just for a piece of plastic that you even can take out yourself but not possible to buy it separate. So they charge you to change the whole system. A rip off.

The LR ones: cheaper, so cheaper to replace and mine fit well, not perfect, but never came off (but have only done 3000km with them fitted) and the kids don’t take them out neither Wink It does cover the whole window though, while the Audi ones not 100%.

But from an engineering part I totally agree you would expect way better for such an expensive car and ‘prestigious’ brand, they should have been fixed to the car, like the FFRR, or even a Skoda...
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

@labbix do you mind taking some pics of how you've got them installed? i mean it's hardly rocket science with them little crappy clips but maybe i'm missing something...

• Labbix

Round sides inside the car, hooky sides between rubber of glasses. But the shades themselves almost click inside the frame without the clips. But I was surprised, and not in a positieve way, as well with the design, as I ordered them with my Belgian dealer and got them by post as these were not available in Albania. In South Africa we had kind of ‘socks’ that we pulled over the window, maybe that’s
  • Labbix

A better option, but no idea where to but them here in Europe.

• Labbix

Unfortunately I have no pics from the D4 with the sunshade socks, as there a lot of cars have it and it wasn’t anything special to take a picture from Wink
  • Labbix

Actually the socks were not pulled over the window, but over the whole frame, so 2 sided sunshades more or less
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

that's exactly how i have them installed but the clips won't stay in place for the life of me. like i said they are hardly rocket science but they are bloody pain to get right. one of them seems to go on better than the other though which is even more annoying. i'll give it another go.

also have u driven with them on and the windows open? maybe not completely open but at least half way?

Labbix wrote:
    A better option, but no idea where to but them here in Europe.

• Labbix

Only once when our youngest opened it. So only for a few 100 meters. Big chance you will loose the clips I suppose. This most practical car was not designed to drive with open windows Wink Another negative is that with the blinds installed you can barely see through the window and no way to let them down, Audi is smarter...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Never been a fan of window shades, original ones or the ones with the 4 suckers that attach onto the window, leaving nice circular marks. Laughing
    Feels like your looking through a mosquito net.
    Window tints all the way, as i think they look alot better visually Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

Mine are tinted, even the front ones, but the tint doesn’t keep UV out...
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

i am not a big fan of the shades either but like Road Runner said the tint doesn't keep UV out and my little one complains of the sun in his face and as i've got him a little spoilt, i'd have had to lump it when i was little lol, i decided to get the shades and well like i said i wished built in sun shades would have been an option like mercs and audis and some others seem to have.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

The factory coloured tinted glass wont keep out UV but the tint film does keep it out Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

hmmmm didn't think of that...

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum