Yes, have had mine over a year, no oil dilution 9%/5
    Yes, had mine 6 months ish, no oil dilution 5%/3
    No, I have oil dilution / early service issue 85%/46
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Re: A suprise today

jimbg wrote:
    I have just set off on another 2,000 mile trip around France and checked my distance to next service before I left.
    It read 3,400 miles to go and I thought there might be a good chance of "using" that up on this trip.

The first leg was a 300 mile trip on motorways to the Channel Tunnel and while we were waiting I checked the new value.

Now logically I would have expected a drop, but now it read 4,150 miles to go!

I can only assume that it monitors driving style in JLR parlance and as I have switched from the recent 10 -20 mile trips to a longer trip use the car has increased the range.

Does that make sense and tie in with other users experiences?

When i started getting the Service in xxxx km warnings, it was going up and down. It would say in 850 km, do a 30km drive and then it would say 950km. Then 750, then 850 , then 750 then Service Required.
    So it's obviously not basing it's calculations on numbers that have anything to do with the mileage you are doing. The explanation DieselRanger gives makes sense, since it has to do with active regeneration cycles. Not that i know what that does Laughing

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Guy
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Mine went from 1,700 to 1,600 after about 100 miles but then shot up to 1,850 after about a further 30 miles. Then, after another 100 miles went straight to 'Service Required Now'. As mentioned in another post, dealer says definitely a sensor fault and vehicle needed for several days as it is a sump-off job to get to the sensor.

Sad
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Would like to know what sensor - is it a faulty DPF sensor? Or a sensor that measures oil viscosity? A faulty DPF differential pressure sensor that always measures as "clogged" would definitely increase the cycles for active regeneration and thus cause actual or perceived fuel-in-oil dilution.

There are such things as automotive engine oil viscosity sensors.... I just don't know if they exist on the D5 - if so, it's not referenced in any literature on TOPIX.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Had mine done very early, my indicator dropped like stone until it went over the cliff, had my Oil changed, was told it was merely a formality... basically they put up i shut up.

Drove home and lost 5K miles off the indicator, the following 10K lasted about 1,00 miles. dealer informed me there was no problem, JLR Customer fob off informed me that the dealer knows best but allayed my fears by CONSTANTLTY stipulating my service level indicator was mererly a guide and that it should be 1 Year or 16,000 miles.

I've recorded the conversations i had with them where i checked several times that i was good for 16K, i couldn't use it as i intended this summer for our annual 4K plus miles trip to Southern Spain so we went in something more reliable. £67K well spent them.

So, my service light came on 3K miles ago AGAIN, so i've left it. I had my Oil analysed 3 months ago and it was diluted quite heavily. Yestreday driving on the M1 in traffic it started missing, heavy smell of Oil burning.
    I'm guessing it was part way through another Burn when i backed off for traffic and came to a stop several times. i'm 95% Mtwy driving at Mtwy speeds, dont use for shopping or school runs and cant go over 70 on the M1 as the speed cameras are active on the full stretch of the Mtwy.

Not sure if it will last another 8K miles to 16K, not really bothered if it doesn't as i will never buy another as long as i live. Both dealer and JLR have advised that 16K miles is correct. I took it in to the dealer in my own time at my expense, i was informed that it was a formality and that nothing untoward would arise.

I wont drive it now for another 4 days umtil i drive South to work.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Wow - this page in particular does not fill me with confidence about collecting my D5 later this month. Big Cry
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

747_JK wrote:
    Wow - this page in particular does not fill me with confidence about collecting my D5 later this month. Big Cry

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Of the nearly 600 views of this thread, so far, only 24 people have voted in the poll. (Ok, every time i go to this thread i add a view, but i doubt the 24 voters have viewed this thread 23 times each).
    Most won't bother to give their experience if it's been positive.
    But if it's been negative, it sort of feels good to be able to tell the world of your woes.

Land Rover sell thousands of vehicles every month, if a majority had an issue, there would be a recall. And you would have hundreds of people on here complaining about it.

JLR buy parts from others to build their vehicles, so they rely on third parties to sell them parts that are to their specs. Some bad ones probably make it through the third partie's quality control, and then some make it through JLR's quality control.
    We are all humans who let some slip by unbeknownst to us even if we are in charge of quality control. And some parts you probably can't tell if the quality is good or not until it's been run in the completely built item, like our D5's. JLR cannot drive every build for hundreds of miles to find faults, that's for the dealers to deal with once you've found that fault for them.
    Just like microsoft release every new windows with faults in it and have us use it and tell them of the faults. That's why we have weekly updates. Luckily we don't have to bring our computers to the dealer for the update.

I'm one of the positive experience D5 owners. I could say, mostly positive as there are ALWAYS things we're not happy about everything we purchase. But all in all it's been great so far.

I spend time on this forum, to get informed and to share my experience with others. I'm no better than anyone else, but most will not bother to share their positive experiences.

Collect your D5, enjoy it and share on here if you can.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

^^^^ Well said
  • HSEMY18
    United Kingdom 

Overall I am happy with my D5, I had the early service come on at around 3,000 miles. The dealer said it related to oil dilution at 6.1% and did an oil and filter change, they said this was covered with my service pack.

Touch wood the only other gremlin I have had / having is my rear reversing camera is not working properly, it is only showing half a screen and it’s also skewed to the side. The 360 view which uses the rear camera does not display properly either. Car booked in for October, 1.5months waiting time.
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

747_JK wrote:

It’s not too late to repent your wicked ways. Whistle Whistle

Snigger
  • Labbix

I didn’t vote because I’m still too low on miles, as a lot of the people you see as visitors I suppose... but for sure I will not make 10000 km with the oil, and my D5 is only used for traveling, so 95% motorways. I posted pics of the evolution earlier and keep taking these pics to keep track of the evolution, and it’s not going the right direction, and I do put it in manual gear on high revs once and a while for like 30 minutes to see if that would help, but remaining oil km don’t really confirm it would help...
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

ForlornMTL wrote:
    747_JK wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it that much. ...

Collect your D5, enjoy it and share on here if you can.

I agree with @ForlornMTL - my experience has been overwhelmingly positive to date - the oil dilution issue and an initial "Incorrect DEF Quality" erroneous condition, fixed by software update, are the only issues I've had that have required a trip to the dealer. This issue is, at worst, causing some unnecessary oil changes, and if it can't be fixed, I'll spend the $50 to buy the oil and filter and do it myself in between scheduled services - it's cheaper than taking it to the dealer and it only takes a few minutes with a $100 fluid vacuum extractor that will pay itself off after 2 DIY oil changes.

It's easy to look at a forum and see a ton of bad things and then think "eh...this would be a bad choice," but really give it a critical eye and compare it to other vehicles you might have considered.
  • Labbix

Honestly if I compare price/quality I preferred my D4 above my D5... but I’m still hoping JLR will be able to fix all my issues and maybe I change my opinion, but for the 3 years I have had my D4, I have spent less time at the dealer than 3 months with my D5... and I haven’t been in for an oil change yet.
  • Labbix

But we all know this, right?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-s...6350060283

More specific:
    Land Rover doesn’t manage to pull itself up from the bottom of the table as its models age; in fact, its overall score drops for older cars.

The only relative high spots are the previous-generation and current Discovery, both of which have reliability scores of more than 85%

Wink
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Well my D5 is back from the dealers - they had it 2 weeks, and mainly were waiting on LR for instruction.
    Having found a section of the exhaust in the rear with a pin hole in a weld, LR advised this may be the cause, and instructed the dealer to replaced the rear half of the exhaust.....

I have had the car back 5 days, driven 200 miles, and the distance to next oil service has dropped by 100 miles., whilst this looks promising, it is far to early to extrapolate this out and conclude it is fixed.

Hope it is, as I love the car, if it isn’t, RR Velar D240 here I come....
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

747_JK wrote:

Apart from the early oil Change mine has been spot on, No gltches with the Software or media at all.

Occasionally my parking sensors attempt to blow the speakers and my ear drums by emmiting extremly loud noise. And the car chirps from somewhere when i open the door or occasionally press the fob to unlock.

I did move it this morning to get into my garage and it belched thick black soot from both exhausts, it cleared up pretty quick but there was white smoke for a further 10 seconds, early engine detonation imminent
    Whistle

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum