↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Does anyone have a 3.0 and not have oil dilution issues?54 Votes
    Yes, have had mine over a year, no oil dilution 9%/5
    Yes, had mine 6 months ish, no oil dilution 5%/3
    No, I have oil dilution / early service issue 85%/46
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Does anyone have 3.0l and not had oil dilution issues

Just curious if anyone with a 3.0l engine has not have oil dilution / early service issues, and how long they have had the car for.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Going for my first service (24k km/15k mi) in a couple of weeks. No issues.
    voted over 1 year as i'm nearing 1 year since delivery.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Would you be willing to take an oil sample and send for analysis?
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Should this title say 'had service indicator appear before expected'?
    Or are you asking for people to vote that have actually HAD fuel in their oil?

About 4 months in from new my service indicator came on sooner than expected a software up grade fixed it and I've not had the indicator come on since then. My car is now on 22k and is 18 months old.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

18my, first oil change at 5200 miles, going for 2nd on Saturday, mileage will be 10250 ish, so only 5000 miles on this fill.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Paramike
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

So it begins🙄

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

DieselRanger wrote:
    Would you be willing to take an oil sample and send for analysis?

Depends on the cost of the analysis and what use is the analysis if i have not had an early service indicator. Wondering what would be point of doing an analysis. If it does have dilution but did not warn me.

My service indicator (upon startup, lasts half a second) first came at around 22k km saying i had 1500km until service and kept going down and sometimes up until 750km left and then it's been Service Required for the last 500km or so. Am at 23 300 km.

Dealer said i have 3 "recalls", but this is what Topix says.
    Outstanding Campaigns

F169 - CAN L.ROVER COMPLIMENTARY 1ST SERVICE
    N118 - SERVICE WARNING MESSAGE NOT DISPLAYED SERVICE RESET NOT WORKING
    N135 - AIR SUSPENSION & ADAPTIVE DYNAMIC WARNING
    N151 - HVAC CONTROL MODULE UPDATE

• DieselRanger
    United States 

Blackstone Labs in the US gives you a free postage-paid container for returning the sample and charges US$28 for analysis - an extra $10 for a TBN analysis.

It's absolutely informative to the rest of the community who is experiencing this problem - for example. if your vehicle is somehow very accurate in its dilution estimation, that would be in direct contrast to mine - my vehicle regularly over-estimates dilution, in the most recent case estimating it had reached its limit when in fact dilution was so low as to be undetectable in lab analysis. And, you would be one of the few whose vehicle is actually reaching its advertised service interval despite your earlier stated driving habits not being that much of an outlier. So what would be different about your vehicle, if that's the case? If your indicated oil life is counting down to zero but your actual FIO is well above the 6.1% limit, then that's also informative.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I think N118 was applied to most NA vehicles at the first service so as the reset wasn’t working we probably did not get early service notification s (I didn’t anyway)

An oil sample would be a good idea I’m a bit reluctant to use a US Lab CO’s I may have to pay tariffs getting the sample over the border Rolling with laughter

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Hi,

well my pre-owned D5 (3.0L) was a dealer owned vehicle and used for everything. Mostly lots of short trips. I bought it 10 month and 19.000 km (11.800 miles) later. It had no oil change before. So it seams it didn't have much oil dilution OR they ignored it for month.

Voted for 1 year / no dilution.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Blackfly wrote:
    I think N118 was applied to most NA vehicles at the first service so as the reset wasn’t working we probably did not get early service notification s (I didn’t anyway)

I did get the service warning, but not early, so it's working on mine. Maybe it doesn't "taste" the oil properly to sense dilution, or i have no issues with that.
    If anything happens, i have the warranty and my lease ends before the warranty expires, so this is a non issue for me. I've only had minor issues with mine, related to infotainment and app rather than anything mechanical.

Blackfly wrote:
    An oil sample would be a good idea I’m a bit reluctant to use a US Lab CO’s I may have to pay tariffs getting the sample over the border Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

• DieselRanger
    United States 

Laughing Rolling Eyes

It actually doesn't "taste" the oil at all - it estimates the dilution by how many active regeneration cycles have been either started or finished - it's not really clear which. There may be other factors in there as well, but it decides when to do an active regeneration by measuring the pressure drop across the DPF. Once it reaches a certain level it starts an active regen to clean it out. Driving style determines how fast the DPF fills up with soot.

So either your estimator is working perfectly and your vehicle hasn't had very many regen cycles based on your driving style (which, again, based on your previous posts doesn't seem to be any more "ideal" for a turbodiesel than anyone else's), or it's not working at all.
  • Labbix

+1 for the last comment, as that’s what I believe is happening, unfortunately.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

A suprise today

I have just set off on another 2,000 mile trip around France and checked my distance to next service before I left.
    It read 3,400 miles to go and I thought there might be a good chance of "using" that up on this trip.

The first leg was a 300 mile trip on motorways to the Channel Tunnel and while we were waiting I checked the new value.

Now logically I would have expected a drop, but now it read 4,150 miles to go!

I can only assume that it monitors driving style in JLR parlance and as I have switched from the recent 10 -20 mile trips to a longer trip use the car has increased the range.

Does that make sense and tie in with other users experiences?
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

DieselRanger wrote:
    Laughing Rolling Eyes

It actually doesn't "taste" the oil at all - it estimates the dilution by how many active regeneration cycles have been either started or finished - it's not really clear which. There may be other factors in there as well, but it decides when to do an active regeneration by measuring the pressure drop across the DPF. Once it reaches a certain level it starts an active regen to clean it out. Driving style determines how fast the DPF fills up with soot.

So either your estimator is working perfectly and your vehicle hasn't had very many regen cycles based on your driving style (which, again, based on your previous posts doesn't seem to be any more "ideal" for a turbodiesel than anyone else's), or it's not working at all.

I would have been surprised if it actually "tasted" the oil Laughing
    I just had no idea how it knows. And since it's a software thing, and it's not sending me to the dealer for service every other month, i would say i have no problems !

What is an "ideal" driving style for a turbo diesel ?

Has anyone had an actual issue with dilution ? or as AndrewS asked, is it just a software issue ?

Last edited by ForlornMTL on 5th Sep 2018 9:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum