Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

Oil service vs distance done for 3 liter td

Mine went in for an early service, so had new oil and ready to go for 23000 km! Or not? Here my experience:
    Distance done: 502 km pure highway, average speed 123 km/h:
    At start:
  • Labbix

At start:

500 km later:

Conclusion:
    Ad blue goes down correctly.
    Service interval absolutely not!
    Difference: 23600-22250 = 1350 km while only done: 502 km, so it’s on overestimatation of 2,7 times and this for pure highway traffic... so real life traffic would be way worse.
  • Labbix

In 2 days will do exactly the same trip back, will add pics later with the results from it as well.
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

Thought I’d add my recent road trip here - car was serviced on Fri/Sat 6 Oct for first annual service at 10,269 miles (after a counter reset at 8k). Drove car home on Sat, then embarked on a 1275 mile road trip from Scotland, down through England via Harry Potter land near London, through the tunnel to Bruges, then onto Southern Holland for a few days, before heading back up to Amsterdam (Ijmuden) to catch ferry to Newcastle, then back to West Scotland. Mostly motorway driving, albeit some stop / start along the way - I would estimate 90% of it was on motorway / autobahn. As you can see from the photos below, the service indicator dropped at a rate of 3.64 to 1 across the 1275 miles, and it seemed to do it on every journey as I kept checking. The only time that it didn’t drop was a high speed run on a de-restricted autobahn averaging over 100 mph for 10km and hitting a max of 118mph. Since being serviced, every time I start thto car, I get a strong ammonia / peroxide smell that enters the cabin by the front passenger seat area - it only lasts 30 seconds but is there every time, irrespective of how long or short the previous journey was or how long the car has sat still. I’ve uploaded the service interval and the eco data for th journey.

• Labbix

Route back was 492 km, but:
    Oil service went down wit 1400km
    Ad Blue went down with 800 km

All highway traffic!

And 492 km later:

An overestimation for the oil factor: 2,85
    Over estilamation for ad Blue factor: 1,63

Not good, nor realistic.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I have driven 23000km and have the service light 3rd time.
    First service (oil change) at around 7000km the second service at about 13500km.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Craigp
    England 

After your oil and filter change what do they set your next service too? Mine was only 6500 miles as i posted on here a little while ago but cant find it now.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Always 24000km

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Labbix

Correct
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I'm unsure if mine was reset to 24,000km, first time I looked after the service I thought I saw 18,600km until the next service. I checked just now, 1250km later and it shows 17,600km until the next service. I've been doing at least one longer trip a week now though. My service was just before the new software fix was out.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine reached zero service miles remaining at 10wks/4700 miles. The first 950 mile warning, 4,500 miles, lasted only 200miles!
    Immediately post oil and filter change car says circa 7k miles left to service!
  • Labbix

Mine went in, as well for the N222 update regarding the early service interval:

Took a picture before the dealer took the car at my home and when I got it back:

Vs

So for 120 km the ad blue drops with 1100 km, almost 10 times as much as they drove it...

Unfortunately the car went immediately back to the dealer for other issues they could not repair and they have raised once again the question with JLR what to do now...

every time it goes in, it’s an extra 100km for ??
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Labbix -

The AdBlue isn't related to fuel in oil contamination. Even my "cheater" Volkswagen Touareg TDI only got maybe 5-6,000 miles out of a tank of AdBlue, when it was sold as being able to last 10,000 miles. AdBlue is used to counteract oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust, whereas the diesel post-injection is meant to burn off excess soot in the exhaust, as it accumulates in the DPF.

Unfortunately, the two are opposed. The more NOx a diesel engine generates, the less soot it will generate; you'll use more AdBlue but your DPF won't fill up as fast.

Personally, I'd prefer to fill up my AdBlue tank once every two months rather than change the oil once every two months. AdBlue is cheaper and it's easy to fill.

Good news for you, however - it looks like your oil life actually lengthened by 50 miles.

I do hope you will still analyze your oil the enext time the car says it needs to be done. Would like to see how the N222 is at predicting dilution.
  • Labbix

Hi Dieselranger,

Thx for the info, although I’m aware of this, but the car is apparently not.

Thing is that here you can not fill up yourself as you can’t buy ad blue separately and the dealer does not want to sell it neither (or is not allowed to). If I have to drive about 100km to the dealer and back every 8 weeks for some ad blue... I’d rather have that all the info the car gives me would be correct.

I suppose that they added some oil when they did the N222 adjustment, as it wasn’t yet at the 75% as stipulated in the N222 explanation. No idea if they changed the filter, will ask them.

Regarding the oil sample analysis, I asked them that they would give me an oil sample when they changed it, and once it was done I asked for it, but they ‘forgot’, next time I will ask again.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

You can't buy DEF on your own anywhere in Albania? Is that a law or is that due to the relatively recent introduction of SCR systems in your country? If the latter, I'd be engaging with Land Rover CR to encourage your dealer to sell you a few liters of AdBlue to keep on hand.

Can you get it shipped in, e.g., via Amazon or EBay?

Also, I would look for a small vacuum fluid extractor like this and take the sample before you take it to the dealer.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum