Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

2019 DS6

3400 miles
    11150 to Oil service
    5400 to AdBlue refill

Doesn't look great but it came with 5 miles on the clock and 15000 to Oil service so I've only 'lost' 450 miles. My theory is that time comes into it as well. It sat for over 4 weeks at the dealers waiting for 1st September which equates almost exactly to the missing 1000 miles at delivery.

I do a lot of short journeys, the occasional 30 mile blast on country roads and almost no Motorway driving so I'm pretty pleased with it so far. It looks like the Oil service will coincide almost exactly with the 12 month point but I'm not holding my breath!

Edit:

Just done some calculations. I won't reach 16000 miles in a year, more like 12000 on average. If I count the days since it was PDI'd and take that as a factor of a year of doing 16000 miles my counter is within a few miles of that. ie By the end of today the counter should read 11134 miles to oil service based on time alone. It reads 11150. Coincidence?

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

Is the exhaust emmisions layout similar on all 6 cylinder D5's. Main difference being turbos ?

Is it safe to buy a 6 cylinder now?

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • bammmy

Watching for some positive replies as it was me who posted the original post🤔
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

I think all SD6 info so far suggests 12 month service interval will be achieved, but I also think it is to early to be 100% sure
  • fwgde
    Germany 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

@Bammy
    So far the replies in the thread are very positive, I‘d say. The oil change intervals are far better than with the TD6‘es.
    I am not sure what happens if one does a 5 mile commute every day, but that will evetually kill any engine.
  • fwgde
    Germany 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

@bammmy
    So far the replies in the thread are very positive, I‘d say. The oil change intervals are far better than with the TD6‘es.
    I am not sure what happens if one does a 5 mile commute every day, but that will evetually kill any engine.
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

still looking positive for SDV6's. Anyone care to update us again?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

4500 miles so far...no indication of a problem yet. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • bammmy

Great news, looking good.
    All the comments have settled my mind, as it was me that raised the original question about the dilution problem.
    Thank you for all your comments, due to the feedback on the SDV6 I’ve just ordered a new D5 with the SDV6 engine, delivery March ‘19👍👍👍
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
    Is the exhaust emmisions layout similar on all 6 cylinder D5's. Main difference being turbos ?

Is it safe to buy a 6 cylinder now?

Having voted to leave the EU to support UK jobs and businesses I couldn't bring myself to buy a D5 now even if I needed one. Developing EU nations have already had too much of our money.

There you go, CG.

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 3rd Dec 2018 6:00 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

Id prefer an answer fron an owner not a factless opinion from a bystander

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Just did 600 miles in one go. The miles to service hardly moved and it looks like I'll get somewhere near 16000. Done 4200 miles now mostly short journeys (3 to 7 miles) half the time and medium (30 miles) the rest of the time with one decent motorway trip. As I said before I only had 15000 miles at delivery but I've now overtaken that a bit. 11000 to service and done 4200.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

16000 miles I can live with, even annually (approx 13000) would suit me. discovery sport is currently a round 9000, which I can live with but I know is wrong,

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

So, after reading the whole thread it would appear that the dreaded issue has largely been addressed, This is welcome news as it really is the only issue that I have with my MY18 D5.

Thanks for the continued input from all who have posted their findings.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Flat Earther wrote:
    Do bear in mind that the engine has no way of assessing the level of oil contamination, the software purely counts the number of times that the engine is switched off mid generation cycle. So, unless there have been significant hardware improvements, or a new way of regenerating the DPF, I’d be concerned that they’d simply changed the acceptable amount of engine stops between services and to hell with the contamination.

I hope I’m wrong and they’ve hit on a magical cure Thumbs Up

Do engine STOP / STARTs include traffic related STOP / STARTs (green A in green circle)?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum