Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

disable keyless entry?

Chaps - hopefully picking up D5 on Friday and tried having a read on here about keyless entry. My gut feel is to disable it but there is a post with some info from the german ADAC that says the D5 keyless system is very good.

Whats the opinion of the great unwashed on here in order to keep my D5 in my and not some scoates grubby mits?

Thanks
    Al
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I'm sure you can disable it but the D5 measures how far away the key is (time it takes for the key to respond to the car sending it a signal) so it knows when the key is too far away. Therefore the thefts via amplifying the key signal as done with the D4 shouldn't happen.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

The new keyfob with the D5 is now considered pretty safe by insurance companies. My mate is on his second top spec Range Rover which now has the same system as the D5. He wasn't even allowed to park his last one outside his London address. The insurance dropped by £4000 a year with the new system.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

IndusD4 wrote:
    I'm sure you can disable it but the D5 measures how far away the key is (time it takes for the key to respond to the car sending it a signal) so it knows when the key is too far away. Therefore the thefts via amplifying the key signal as done with the D4 shouldn't happen.

It's a shame MY17 D5's can't have this system retrofitted. The remotes range is crazy long !

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • unido
    United Kingdom 

I just put my key in a wallet I ordered online which prevents keyless theft. You can stand as close as you like with the key in the wallet and your car won't recognise it. Alternatively just wrap it in tin foil every night Very Happy
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

I'll put it under my tin foil hat then Rolling with laughter

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Labbix

Or buy a tin Illy coffee, drink the coffee and use the tin to put your keys in Wink works perfectly
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Does the D4 hack (lights button 3 times then unlock to switch off, lights x 3 then lock to switch back on) work on the D5? Question

Please note I take NO responsibility if that bricks anyone’s car. Whistle Whistle
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I believe it does. I'm sure it's been officially published by LR somewhere.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Labbix wrote:
    Or buy a tin Illy coffee, drink the coffee and use the tin to put your keys in Wink works perfectly

Funnily enough I have just bought a new tin of Illy Coffee Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

Labbix wrote:

I got a new tin tent for the keys today Thumbs Up

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I'm with Unido's comment. Works fine.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum