Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

DRIVING STYLE 2017MY

Has any one had any sucess in detrmining the driving style to be adopted by the driver in an attempt to meet the requirements of the manufacturer ?

In case you missed it, i am told my driving to and from school, friends, shops, restaurants etc has created the early on set of the service light ?
    The real world problem is that the vehicle only drives fast A roads to and from the major motorway network M1, M18, A1 etc at between 40 - 70MPH virtually every journey is over 100 miles so in an attempt to dispel their theory i utilised their own APP to prove them wrong....... or so i thought ?
    In dowloading over 6K Miles of Mtwy driving where i expressed that this ample in trying to achieve the "BURN" they came right back at me and informed me that recent investigation has revealed that sat at Motorway speeds will NOT be sufficient to create the "BURN"

So i was advised to stay off the Motorways, use A roads and ring roads and utilse the manual gear shift to help work the engine and create heat required to efficiently "BURN" their mistake !

Odd, as i thought i was buying a modern diesel engine that was reasonably economic, not one that required 40 litres of engine Oil every year and was far less economical now as i have to 6 hours on back roads in stead of 3 on the Motorway

Thud

I'm specifically asking the 2017MY Owners as the 18MY can be updated and the 19MY is all but sorted.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

So we have to 'drive like luatics for 45 mins or so' to maintain engine load and reach and hold required temperature to initiate regen and hope it does???

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Basically Yes Thumbs Up

Whilst also flicking up and down the box with the paddles,

If you have to stop your screwed, prob cheaper to pay the £450 every 1,700 miles for Oil & Filter than draining the tank of fuel......

• Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

Hi Chalkey

I have a MY17 TD6 which has a deteriorating service interval. I managed 6795 miles for the first reset after 8 months and then got to 10 months at 10,000 miles for first full service. After that, I conducted a 1275 mile road trip down through England, over to Holland via Belgium, and then back to Ijmuden for ferry to Newcastle and back up to Scotland - I’ve saved the eco data which shows this trip where I averaged 32.3 mpg at an average speed of 49mph - during this period, the service indicator dropped 4650 miles - the only time it dropped on a 1-2-1 basis was a blast along a de-restricted autobahn over the border in Germany where we were doing speeds up to 115 mph. The car then went back into the dealer for a further software update late Oct (18c was reloaded as RSE stopped working on way to Europe) and since then, we’ve done a further 1671 miles at an average of 28.3mpg and an average speed of 31mph - mostly 30 min journeys along A roads to an airport. This is exactly the driving that JLR have indicated to you and I also have driven it a little more spirited to keep the engine temp higher, but have lost 5100 miles of range over this period. If you then do the maths - the first period post service (Europe trip) deteriorated at a rate of 1mile to 3.64 service miles, post 18c reset, it’s 1 mile to 3.05 miles - so a minor improvement purely down to driving style on A roads, but certainly not an answer to get to the claimed 16k miles. If I use my service plan, then I reckon it will be finished after25,000 miles. I’m going to take an oil sample before the next service for an independent analysis.

I’ve kept the eco data pictures, downloaded all the mileage info since Aug and every time I wash the car (around 2-3 weeks), I take a photo of service indicator, although I’ve not transcribed this to a spreadsheet yet. This is not what I expect of a 75k car - I’m on a 4 yr pcp so have a guaranteed value at the end, although I might not have enough services to get there. It’s a real shame, the car is great on every other aspect, but I’m questioning my decision to change my 1 year old Disco 4 Landmark for this which took some convincing of the wife!

Luckily, at work, we have our own law firm so am going to have a conversation with our contract and commercial lawyers to see their thoughts on rejection! In my mind, their whole eco data and percentages are inciting a driving style that results in significantly smaller service intervals and could be construed to drive additional services for their own benefit!
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Mine went from 3,500 first service,
    2,500 second service
    1,700 third service, This is distance bewteen services. So mine has shortened significantly, I've tried rejection but there seems to be some closed rank structure between the dealership, the manufacturer and the finance company, All this is well and good but if your not on the recieving end,

I started the process of Motor Vehicle Ombudsman last week as i pre empted their lack lustre response from their unwillingness to accept that my vehicle had been in twice for the same fault and had been failed to be diagnosed correctly.

Mine is trying to re gen at stand still according to the dealer, The whole thing shakes violently and the cabin fills with smoke, acrid smoke that really gets your throat, This according to LRCS speaking on behalf of the manufacturer is IMPOSSIBLE !

Having not seen the vehicle or diagnosed it i find this hard to believe to the point of being unnaceptable.

It looks like i will get mine back ! hopefully i will get a month or two out of the service until the Ombudsman makes his initial investigation. Having read some of their reports from findings of similar instances the MVO seeks to explore all avenues, so despite LRCS and the finance Company refusing to accept the previous visits the MVO stated quite clearly that the vehicle has gone back not once but twice for the same problem. If they come back and say that a service every 6 weeks is acceptable as well as £450 for the privelige then i will hands down accept theor decision.

• Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

When you get smoke in the cabin, did it smell of peroxide - just after my 10k service and during our trip to Europe, every time we started the car, we got a strong smell of peroxide from the passengers seat well, which cleared after a couple of mins,it’s now gone and we had no other indications, but I thought it might be DPF / regent related.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

No it smelt of charred Bakelite, the resin type material used in electrical generating power plants,

It didn't smell good, was quite thick and pungent, i suspected it was something electrical related, sleeving for wire or some protective coating or a wiring harness tape, that wouldnt create the smoke in the cabin though and ifound out the second time it happened that the whole underside of the car had a thick grey smoke under it, i thought if that had been inhaled by the vehicle and the vents spewed it to the inside cabin by default.

This has happened on 3 occasions now, so it's not every time i use the car, what i suspect is that it's not re generating but it is continuing to attempt this, the DPF is sooting up and at the point of saturation it burns it off creating this smoke, maybe it does it all the time and it's everyone else behind that's inhaling the fumes ? and on the 3 occasions i've encountered it there follows the "SERVICE NOW" message so i presumed the 2 were linked. There is no amber DPF sign illuminated prescribing the clogging up, it's never been on neither has a sign to say a re gen occurring ? just this shaking, smoke and the "SERVICE NOW"

I suspect your smell would be adblu related ? maybe from an over fill or incomplete burn ?

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Shaking ?

Can you describe?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Yes, the engine note has an audible change at tickover, almost as though it is firing on one bank of cylinders, it appears very laboured.

I suggested that it might dumping a quantity of fuel into the cylinders in an attempt to increase heat, this has been refuted, Meanwhile the car shakes from side to side whilst missing revs increase the motion, this is the point where smoke begins to appear, In all 3 instances i have hit the stop start button, firing it up again straight after clears the rocking immediately. There is no smoke and it ticks over smoothly.

This is why i thought it was trying to re generate, in the last instance i traveled from Doncaster to Twickenham and as i stopped on the North Circular it began it's shaking routine. I suppose this is where the their A Roads and Ring Roads routine has now been devised ?
    After 120 miles on the M1 at lower revs it has maybe looked to re gen as the rev's increase.

The whole point though is to be more fuel efficient on longer run's, it shoudn't require hammering rouns a ring road to create an effective re gen.

• SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I can’t understand why JLR don’t fit a manual regen button like most modern heavy commercial vehicles do today.
    It would make life so simple !
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Re: DRIVING STYLE 2017MY

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    Has any one had any sucess in detrmining the driving style to be adopted by the driver in an attempt to meet the requirements of the manufacturer ?

In case you missed it, i am told my driving to and from school, friends, shops, restaurants etc has created the early on set of the service light ?
    The real world problem is that the vehicle only drives fast A roads to and from the major motorway network M1, M18, A1 etc at between 40 - 70MPH virtually every journey is over 100 miles so in an attempt to dispel their theory i utilised their own APP to prove them wrong....... or so i thought ?
    In dowloading over 6K Miles of Mtwy driving where i expressed that this ample in trying to achieve the "BURN" they came right back at me and informed me that recent investigation has revealed that sat at Motorway speeds will NOT be sufficient to create the "BURN"

So i was advised to stay off the Motorways, use A roads and ring roads and utilse the manual gear shift to help work the engine and create heat required to efficiently "BURN" their mistake !

Odd, as i thought i was buying a modern diesel engine that was reasonably economic, not one that required 40 litres of engine Oil every year and was far less economical now as i have to 6 hours on back roads in stead of 3 on the Motorway

Thud

I'm specifically asking the 2017MY Owners as the 18MY can be updated and the 19MY is all but sorted.

Well depends...
    In fact I do have 0 oil dilution. (Got my oil tested...)
    Software though thinks I do, thus the early service warning. N222v2 did improve this a bit, but didn't solve it. Waiting to get N222v3 later this month. Hope this fixes the miscalculation.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Yours is a 2018MY vehicle then ?

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Chalky -

Have you had the opportunity to test your oil?

The alternative is to stay on the motorways, just downshift there till your RPMs hit about 3,000, and keep them in that region for about 25min every couple of weeks.

Don't have to drive like a lunatic, it will just sound like you are.
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    Yours is a 2018MY vehicle then ?

Nope, MY17.
    But yes, it is MY17 and still my VIN is within the range of N222vX.

Qouting from topix:
    Name: N222v2
    Modell: Discovery (LR)
    Modell Year: 2018
    VIN: 030810 - 079568

My MY17 VIN is SALRA2BK9HA0379xx.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom