↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Nothing new there then! Rolling with laughter
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Rolling Eyes

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

N241 was applied to mine the day before i picked it up, i presumed this was to fix a fault but NO, thats not what Updates are for,,, The manufacturer states that updates must be applied to a vehicle as and when to keep them running smoothly,

Which is odd as you would have expected them to do the tow bar update as it's been in the dealers two weeks, also the infotainment is still the old one ? so no that's not right,

Any way, mines got nothing wrong with it.... got a clean bill of health ! It's been scrutineered, stripped, tested again and again...... JLR have stated that the vehicle's not being driven correctly by me so when i picked mine up to day and took a photo of the miles to next service it displayed 10,050 which i thought was odd, so i set off up the A1 for the 100 mile trip home, 5 miles out i got an amber warning triangle and when i pulled on the drive and turned it off "WALLOP" i got it SERVICE NOW ! so having held the previous record at 1,700 i'm now the best by far a meagre 100 Miles........

JLR Refuse point blank to accept any form responsibilty for this debacle, its really gripped my Censored !

I've exhausted that avenue as they refuse to accept that the fault lies with the vehicle and have actually said in an email that the vehicle is supposed to only do 1,700 miles between services IF the re gen is unsuccessful ? to get 16,000 miles the vehicle must have NO interupted re gens, so talking to them is now defunct, the other two options are We Buy Any Car ! or set it on fire......

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:
    All the dealer said was "the n241 DEF dosing update is to improve the early service intervals"

Now they may be telling me rubbush, it wouldn't be the first time, but we will see pretty soon how many miles ot has lost.

Perhaps only in terms of AdBlue usage... certainly has nothing to do with oil dilution as AdBlue addresses NOx, not soot.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    N241 was applied to mine the day before i picked it up, i presumed this was to fix a fault but NO, thats not what Updates are for,,, The manufacturer states that updates must be applied to a vehicle as and when to keep them running smoothly,

Which is odd as you would have expected them to do the tow bar update as it's been in the dealers two weeks, also the infotainment is still the old one ? so no that's not right,

Any way, mines got nothing wrong with it.... got a clean bill of health ! It's been scrutineered, stripped, tested again and again...... JLR have stated that the vehicle's not being driven correctly by me so when i picked mine up to day and took a photo of the miles to next service it displayed 10,050 which i thought was odd, so i set off up the A1 for the 100 mile trip home, 5 miles out i got an amber warning triangle and when i pulled on the drive and turned it off "WALLOP" i got it SERVICE NOW ! so having held the previous record at 1,700 i'm now the best by far a meagre 100 Miles........

JLR Refuse point blank to accept any form responsibilty for this debacle, its really gripped my Censored !

I've exhausted that avenue as they refuse to accept that the fault lies with the vehicle and have actually said in an email that the vehicle is supposed to only do 1,700 miles between services IF the re gen is unsuccessful ? to get 16,000 miles the vehicle must have NO interupted re gens, so talking to them is now defunct, the other two options are We Buy Any Car ! or set it on fire......

Maybe we should recruit all of the 2017 owners with an issue and launch a class action against JLR, they'll have to respond to that.....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

In all honesty i wouldn't waste your time, It's like banging your head against a brick wall ! It is going to be extremely time consuming, expensive and worst of all damaging to your Mental health !!!!

I've been at it now for 2 Months, Previous to this it's been in twice already. The dealers are going to the manufacturer technical team and they are all singing the same tune ! The problem is the D5 is a tiny percentage of what the manufacturer are actually experiencing,

Evoque, Disco Sport and RRS are all suffering the same fate, And despite NO FUEL being found in some peoples Oil.... It isn't me that fashioned the terminilogy "OIL DILUTION" this is something that JLR have called a problem that they are encountering. So please don't all start replying that there is no such thing it's just a name given to something that the manufacturer knows isn't displayed as a Fault, it cannot be diagnosed as afault and cannot ne acted upon as a faulty unit, part there of or item for replacement, diagnosis or manipulation. It is wide ranging and all encompassing but it's their's so i'm letting them get on with it.

The end process no matter what action i've taken is one of unwillingness, unaceptance and the refusal to accept at any point any specific criteria i have put forward.

It would be easy for me at this point to start discrediting the dealer but they are being met with the same response and being told to what to say to the customer, yet if you speak to customer services they are adamant that they are a completely different entity.

I am waitig now for the Motor Vehicle Ombudsman to take the case on, the woman in Customer Services embraced this news and stated they would get the same response as i have and that the dealer has in that

"To clarify, the vehicle is operating as intended with no outstanding faults. I reffered your drive cycle information along with the fuel related DTC to our technical team for review. Their investigations found that although the overall drive cycle was good on review, there have been 22 interupted regenerations {out of 76} - this is the root cause of the Oil Dilution requiring an Oil Change to resolve."

In a later telephone conversation she revealed that to get to 16,000 miles you would need to achieve 100% success rate of the Re - gen cycle, I said that's Something which isn't going to happen whilst driving on UK roads... The dealer servce department said that the frequency of my visit doesn't really tie in with the findings in that 3 out of every 4 work, he was working on the proviso that 1 might be working and 3 failing but quite the opposite,

In certain markets i think there has been some form of buy back or incentive to get customers moved on, well in my case it has definately worked... for the UK as a whole "Home Market". we have just been left with it together with the added incentive of being charged for the privelidge of having your Oil and filter changed at extortionate rates.

There is nothing else i can do, there is nothing else that they can do, what they are hoping for is me to grow weary of the whole saga and move it on to another unwitting buyer !!!! that is something that is NOT in my nature and i'll quite gladly remain with it intil the MVO makes his assesment and then i can only accept what i would hope is an independant impartial review of the process and his unbiased take on how many miles he thinks should be conducted between Oil Services.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I completely agree with you. Having asked for a formal reply from the dealer, I have been told in writing:

"There are no recalls for MY2017 cars in relation to oil dilution. We cannot force the car to take an update that is outside of its VIN range. The oil dilution is depednant upon driving style and JLR have stated any car that was registered after 1 June 2017 in not eligible for a recall bulletin that includes the complimenary oil and filter change and counter reset. The customer is solely liable for these oil and filter changes between the main annual or 16,000 mile services. Even if the vehcile was registered prior to 1 June 2017, the bulleting only allows for a contribution form JLR if the mileage completed is less than 75% of the expected service interval"

Well, I think all of the 2017 TD6 achieve less than 75% of the expected miles (ie less than 12,000 between oil changes) however JLR are saying its only the first few of months of registrations that they'll cover the cost on.

Does the "stop start" not operate if a regen is being undertaken?

I have an option due to all of the other issues, to sell the car back to the dealer, not sure how much my loss will be yet. It is sorely tempting to get out now whilst it has a new 16000 mile on the counter rather than get stuck into what will be at least 2 interim oil changes a year on top of the normal service.

Out of interest, what are dealers charging for an early oil and filter and counter reset? not that I can easily get the car to them since I work in London and nearest dealer to home is close on 35 miles away

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I was told £380 + VAT for an Oil and Filter with NO good will from JLR, which is pathetic.....

mine is averaging 10% of the advertised and had it done the 12K in 12 Months we wouldn't be having this converstaion now, I'm all for clean healthy engines and fresh Oil but i deemed 1,700 miles too short equating to £2K a year....

Yesterday it out did itself, I checked the miles to next service baring in mind it has just been serviced ? 10,050

On the drive home i'd managed to convinve myself the rattle free interior and luxurious cabin, heated seats, stereo on that i was back in the LR Nirvana i've been accustomed to in the past.... Like i said, it didn't last. There's not a lot else i can say on the matter except if you want one and are reading this with a view to purchasing, Don't buy a 2017 MY vehicle.

And Seriously..... Look at other manufacturers none of who'm are perfect but at first you need a manufacturer that will accept some liability in the form of faults being reported V's good will out !

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

£456 for an oil and filter? holy whatsits...

A full service on a Volvo XC90 is £285 or £460 alternating years. No early service warnings, 18000 miles or 12 months between services.

So on the basis I maintain 2 interim oil and filter changes, my annual services on the Discovery will be £1550 compared the a Volvo owner who is paying an average of £350 a year. over the 4 years I had planned to keep the car an additional cost of £4800 in servicing. plus 3 visits a year to dealership.

Hmm, I think I may forego the pleasure of a nice v6 sound, head-up display and parking heater and explore the option to swap for anything in the Marshall motor group stock and seriously go back looking at the XC90.

I don't need the off-road ability and despite the 2.0 engine I believe the XC90 is an accomplished tow car.

• IndusD4
    Australia 

If I had a MY17 that suffered from early service warnings to the extend that yours does and knowing that there is no or very little actual oil dilution, I would just reset the service indicator with an IIIDTool. And maybe do an actual oil change twice a year.
    Not sure how it is in the UK but here, LR cannot force you to use LR dealers for servicing. You can do it yourself or at any outlet as long as a service is done according to the manufacturer's specifications. And any servicing outside of the LR network done to the manufacturer's specifications can not affect your warranty.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

My issues from an early service requirement are nowhere near as bad as chalkys. However the norm appears to be between 5000 and 7000 miles between oil change. Has anyone with a Td6 managed more? If so how are they driving their car?

Mine does a mix of short trips and motorway trips, and LR are telling me both are not good for a regen.

My old tired rattly volvo never once had a DPF issue (ok it was not euro 6) in 100,000 miles in 5 years, the Discovery is receiving exactly the same use.

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I know what your saying re Oil Change, problem is they cant fix it but i'll guarentee if the engine blows there's no way they'll let the fact that warning light's been on slip......

They can see when it activated, how man re gens its done, what percentage failed etc, the problem is if i'd have paid them 10% of the monthly cost they'd have been knocking on my door straight away !
    i'll wait for the outcome of the ombudsman, if it goes against me like everything else has i'll just run it for the whole 16K miles.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Just for fun i am gonnna start posting comments all over their facebook page

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I'm already doing it..... See if you can spot me Whistle

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Theres too many to choose from!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum