Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

usb music

Anyone successfully copied CD to USB and played through armrest port. I have 128GB stick and formatted and wrote all formats of recording to it MP3, WMA,etc (on separate occasions to test) but car says no media .
    Any advice?

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I may be wrong, but I have a vague recollection of this being discussed before and 128GB is too big?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

128 too big from memory as well

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I use a 128gb as below with no problems. Think it depends of how you format it and I can’t remember for the life of me what I did. Put it this way if FAT32 doesn’t work, pick something else and just try it, even if the manual says otherwise.

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Dangerdave. I chose 128Gb as previous posts have indicated that size for Nav updates. I have tried various drive formats inc FAT32 and various recording formats but to no avail. I might try a smaller stick just in case my car is 'sensitive'

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The one I’ve got is SanDisk. Particularly small. It gives me tons of room for music plus I have enough to download the map updates. Think the map updates are normally 25gb or thereabouts.

• Labbix

Did you do the format to fat32 on a Mac or PC?
  • whited3

From memory its got to be FAT32 from a PC. I run a 32GB stick with no dramas.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I use a 128Gb Sandisk, PC formatted to FAT32. I store many DVD's in mp4 format. When I initially select the USB as the source I get the `no files found' message, but then I get a choice to search for audio or video files - I have not used it for Audio though as I use the on board Media Player to store CD's in WMA format and that works fine as I use the USB for Map updates and Video's. Selecting video shows all the mp4 files (I can even play three different videos from the USB at the same time if I choose to do so via RSE and front screen).
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Labbix wrote:
    Did you do the format to fat32 on a Mac or PC?

Makes no difference either way.
    FAT32 is a format that is used that can be read and written by Mac, Windows, Linux and DOS.

It's like asking if you filled your petrol tank with the right or left hand. If your D5 is petrol, whichever hand you used makes no difference. But if you put diesel in your petrol engine...that's a different format.

On a Mac it's called MS-DOS(FAT).

I've done it many times without any issues.

Last edited by ForlornMTL on 1st Feb 2019 7:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Re: usb music

harrythespider wrote:
    Anyone successfully copied CD to USB and played through armrest port. I have 128GB stick and formatted and wrote all formats of recording to it MP3, WMA,etc (on separate occasions to test) but car says no media .
    Any advice?

I have been using a 128GB without any issues for many months. It may even be a 256gb by now. I remember changing it a while back.

I sometimes have issues with the infotainment suddenly deciding to not read the USB or Bluetooth iPhone as a choice for audio (they are greyed out but visible to the system). It will usually come back on it's own after a few minutes or the next time i start her up.

Have you checked the ID3 tags of your MP3's ?
    I have mine set to ID3v2.4 (ID3v1 ID3v2.4).
    I use the Mp3tag software, available online for free. I make sure all the artist names, album names, song titles etc are the way i want it to be displayed.

It also takes a bit of time when you first put a USB stick in the system.
    It needs to index your USB content so it can easily search it and display the content live when you browse. Every time you change the content of it, it needs to be re-indexed.
    I assume the system reads the size of the drive and if it's different from the last time it checked, it indexes it from scratch. Subsequent indexing might be shorter as it may recognize some of the content info and rewrite what is added and discard what is missing.

Indexing has nothing to do with the size of your content but how many there are. A USB stick with 7 films will index 7 files. A USB stick with 4563 songs will have to index 4563 files. So it takes longer for a USB stick filled with audio rather than video.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all for the info, I have a dilemma to use the stick for music it needs to be FAT32, but for map updates (25gb) probably exFAT, Although Dangerdave seems to use his 128GB for both, So totally confused now!!!

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I use mine for both. If it wasn’t minus 5C outside I’d say I would pull the memory stick in and check how it’s formatted. I do all my stuff like that on an Apple Air if that’s any help. Haven’t had a Windows machine in 20 years.

Last edited by Dangerdave on 31st Jan 2019 10:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • whited3

When you do a map update the LR downloader will format the stick as required. Once installed you can go back to using it for what ever.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Doesn’t do anything to mine when I download to it. In fact it’s the only stick I’ve used for music and updating the satnav.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum