Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Re: Ex LR Management Cars

Mark wrote:
    Good morning

Newby to the site and I’m thinking about buying an ex LR Management D5. 2017 (17) 3.0 HSE LUX. 12k on the clock. I was wondering if anyone could provide any feedback on their experience of doing the same.

Do they tend to be more/less reliable

Are the more/less likely to have been “put through their paces” (yes I know that’s what they were built for)

Anything else I should be asking the dealership or looking out for.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

I dont believe there is anything different in a Ex management car. They probably come fairly well specced but servicing etc is done through normal dealer network. They will be relatively low mileage and serviced etc on time. So maintained and taken care of.

However I would probably not buy an early Disco 5 this one being 2017 is probably an early car. The 18 and 19MY vehicles seem to have got better as the years have gone by with issues being ironed out (i.e early oil change ) so I you can I would say go for a newer version.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I have an ex JLR car (ex Experience car). All of the issues have been as a result of the dealership not the car. It has a great spec, that no sane person would pay for new.

I have suffered the early oil change issue, I needed it between 6 and 7,000 miles. Not sure yet how that is progressing since only done just over 1,000 miles following the oil change and the counter has reduced by about 900 miles (I am sure it will catch up)

All of the servicing work (PDI and 1 service) before I got it was not done by a JLR dealership, it was done by Paragon Fleet Solutions who run the JLR fleet (and many other manufacturer fleets)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

All Land Rover Experience cars are white, so avoid any white ones.

“Management” cars could have been used for various other purposes, from staff cars, pool cars, Land Rover Assist loan/hire cars and press demonstrators amongst others. So, they can be a mixed bag like any other used cars.

I’ve bought three of them and two were excellent, while one might have a more demanding initial 12 months than the others. The really good thing is that the dealer can go onto a LR closed dealer website and choose from loads of low mileage cars under this scheme. It means that there are a lot more to choose from than those that the dealer already has in stock. You just need to ask Thumbs Up
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Mark,

I have an ex-LR 3.0 TD6 that I got two months back. The dealer assured me it was not an ex-LR Experience car, but had been loaned out to LR corporate partners. They also confirmed there had been no early oil changes just the scheduled one in July 18 when the car was 12 months old.

It has now done 12,800 miles and the last time I checked it was showing 8,800 miles to oil change. If this holds it will take me beyond July this year, with the mileage I do, so ok in that regard.

Early days I know, and touching wood, no issues with it so far and very pleased with it.
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Mark wrote:
    Bursztyn did you go for 256 bhp or 306 bhp version?
    Maybe I should look at the SI6 (340 HP). But I can’t see if there Has there been any feedback on these?

Mark, the SDV6 is 306 HP, only. As above, the TDV6 was 256 HP but that engine was withdrawn by JLR last May because of the problems of oil dilution with diesel etc.

The very rare six cylinder petrol Si6 is no longer available in the UK as a new order. This petrol engine didn't suffer from the same oil dilution issue as the diesel and the only petrol engine Discovery on offer now is a four cylinder 2.0 LITRE SI4 PETROL AUTOMATIC (300HP) For me it's not my 'cup of tea'.

I did recently find this used HSE Si6 albeit somewhat overpriced: https://www.bramley.com/carsales/details/L.../13025.htm
    Bramley has some interesting vehicles including an ex HRH Windsor Range Rover. The Duke drove President Obama in this Range Rover during his state visit in 2016. The Daily Telegraph recently reported the price of this specimen at £130K Exclamation

Anyway, back to planet earth, my new factory order for an HSE SDV6 (306 BHP) with discount isn't far off the price of the used HSE Si6 at Bramley. Personally, I'd rather have a brand-new car with the benefit of a 3-year manufacturer warranty etc., etc.

Good luck with your search.
  • Mark
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all Thumbs Up

I think i've made my decision. 3.0 SDV6 HSE it is. Just need to decide if its Loire Blue or Indus silver with 22" Satin Dark Grey Diamonds.......
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

B McP wrote:
    Unfortunately no - Looks like they changed to a different space as soon as they made contact, so got no details Sad

I bet they would be the first to kick up a stink if happened to them.
    Most probably some uninsured toerag in a clapped out vauxhall.
    I gather the car park had no CCTV, but i know they are reluctant to share videos incase you take the law into your own hands Censored Censored Censored

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Bursztyn.... That Si6....what a price, a bit ambitious???
    Regarding ex management cars, 2017 version could be good value all things taken into consideration.
    1. lower road tax and until at least 5 year old, over newer models
    2 better spec than normal dealer offerings
    3 lower mileage at time of sale
    4 possibly no FIO issue, check topix and service history
    5 attractive purchase price

There are plenty of 2017 D5's out there not suffering any problems.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Mark wrote:
    Thanks all Thumbs Up

I think i've made my decision. 3.0 SDV6 HSE it is. Just need to decide if its Loire Blue or Indus silver with 22" Satin Dark Grey Diamonds.......

Mine’s on order as a SD4 MY19 HSE in Loire Blue.
    My last car was grey and I want something different this time round.

Most of the LR colours are white through black or a shade in between and absolutely there are some nice looking colours there, just for me the more rare blue is the way to go.

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • Roystonh
    United Kingdom 

I bought an HSE Lux ex-management. No issues at all, like a new car, very happy - OY plate too. Buy with confidence !
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Mark, I'm also buying "new used" I suspect Ex management will include the off road adventure cars, I'm looking for one with a deployable towbar. Some are labelled ex demonstrator but most say LR management. What else can they be, surely LR don't have a perk where they provide 75k cars to employees then sell them 20k off after a year. or so.
    They put them up on websites. My local dealers have said to me, they will check the ex management lists to find a match for my shopping lists, From what i gather, the dealers seem to buy them in and turn them over. Perhaps via the paint shop.
    Not sure how extended warranty works, i think they inspect it after two years before agreeing. I'd like to keep my next one but being realistic it will be three years max on warranty, if its been up and down hills for a year, not sure its a big deal if planning to keep it, maybe a concern.
    All complete guesswork on my part.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Managmant are exactly what you say, cars put on by LR for various managers to run round in.
    To look out for ex LR Experience cars then look for white ones to start with as they are all white now, also there is normally a specific reg number associated with LR ex but cant rember what it is.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

OV and OY are common on LR management cars- Oxford DVLA office. I have seen KT and KO more recently - Northampton DVLA office.

Obviously not foolproof way to identify if it was a private purchase in Oxford or Northampton areas!

Jon
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

OW as well Wink

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

mine is OW17......

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum