Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mark
    United Kingdom 

Ex LR Management Cars

Good morning

Newby to the site and I’m thinking about buying an ex LR Management D5. 2017 (17) 3.0 HSE LUX. 12k on the clock. I was wondering if anyone could provide any feedback on their experience of doing the same.

Do they tend to be more/less reliable

Are the more/less likely to have been “put through their paces” (yes I know that’s what they were built for)

Anything else I should be asking the dealership or looking out for.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark
  • Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I bought a LR Management D4 with a similar mileage and was very pleased with it. The registration often has an OY in it.
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Hmmm personally maybe steer clear of the OU cars as these are often LR Experience cars... Rolling Eyes

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Or steer clear of any MY17 3.0 TD6 unless you are happy to change the oil every 3 months.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Mark, the 2017 3.0 litre will have the TDV6 engine. There is considerable feedback from members of this Forum about oil dilution issues, premature servicing (oil changes) and so forth.

The other Disco 5 Forum (https://www.disco5forums.co.uk/) contains a good technical explanation in one of the sections and solution by JLR by replacing the engine with the latest SDV6 3.0.

Thus far feedback for the SDV6 engine is promising and as a result of this I recently ordered a new HSE SDV6. Delivery is expected in April.

If you want a quiet life, I wouldn't touch the 2017 model but the decision is yours of course.
  • Mark
    United Kingdom 

Thank you all for the very helpful comments.
    I had read about the oil dilution issues, but was perhaps hoping a fix had been identified and implemented.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

If it's a LR Experience vehicle from Honiton it will not have been put through it's paces to any detrimental extent.
    I've attended three there and found I have a much more demanding test here in Wiltshire working on Salisbury Plain but it is still a good day out and nice tea and biscuits Wink.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

There is a software fix for the MY18 TD6 which so far looks promising, the fix doesn't apply to MY17 vehicles.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Mark
    United Kingdom 

Bursztyn did you go for 256 bhp or 306 bhp version?
    Maybe I should look at the SI6 (340 HP). But I can’t see if there Has there been any feedback on these?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

How many miles are you doing per year? I have a March 2017 HSE TD6 and the oil change for me is not a problem as I only do 8-9,000 miles a year and will just make it to this years 2nd service without an interim oil change.

I have had all the updates going, so maybe that has helped. Others seem to only go a couple of thousand miles!

Can you ask to to see the paper service history, if it exists?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Hi Mark and welcome.
    Absolutely no issues with the 3l Si6 petrol.
    No dreaded issues with regards to oil dilution or early services either thankfully.
    Seems they have now dropped the 3l in favour of the 2l petrol though.
    I think you will be lucky to find an Si6 as virtually all are diesel on Autotrader or on garage forecourts.
    I would definately recommend the 3 litre petrol lump in favour of the 2 litre.
    Have driven both old 3 litre diesel and 2 litre diesel and have noticed a difference.
    If you can fathom the cost at the pumps (300 miles on a full tank in town or 400 on a long run with a full tank) then its a far safer bet in my opinion than the older diesel like the TD6 which we had on the First Edition. Seems the MY17 models are suffering from oil dilution and early service issues.
    Only issue is the AEB. The cars going in at the end of Feb to get that sorted via a software update.
    Apart from that engines running sweet as a nut with plenty of poke from the supercharger Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Mines ex-LR managemt and is great so far. Only issues are InControl bugs which are slowly being fixed with each new release but this is applicable to all.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I have a June 2017 HSE Lux and since last October's update seems to be working fine. The servicing countdown is closely in line with the actual mileage (not exact, but close enough) - I drive a mixture of road types and distances as I live in a rural area and I cover approximately 9000 miles per year. The only issues I have at this time is the random resetting of the ambient lighting and an annoying intermittent creak from the rear left area. At least all was OK until yesterday when some kind person decided to modify the paintwork on the off-side front bumper in a Dundee car park !!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ouch - i hope you got their plate on the dashcam and reported them if they never left any details Shocked

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Unfortunately no - Looks like they changed to a different space as soon as they made contact, so got no details Sad
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum