Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Use Phone as a wifi hotspot and Apple Car Play

I have used a Three 12Gb SIM for the last 2 years for Live Traffic Info with no problem.

Recently the car was upgraded to 19A and ACP installed free of charge.

So as the Three SIM had expired I thought I would try use my iPhone 7 as a data source along with ACP. and my Spotify account.

I have ACP set to connect automatically even if the phone is locked and that always works OK on getting into the car.

However I do not seem to have success every time with the phone being used as a hot spot.

I turn on the personal hot spot option on the phone and it does not seem to connect automatically, I have to select it each time from the list. It does remember the password.

Is there a correct sequence and set of options for using the phone as a hot spot?

Any one some light on it before I give in and order another Three SIM?
  • Labbix

It’s a known issue with iPhones, android automatically reconnects to be used as a hotspot, but with the iPhone you have to do it manually every time... at least that was with my iPhone 6 and ACP with the VW brands and what I got as an explanation. My D5 has no ACP, so cannot verify, but would be surprised if it wouldn’t be the same or that Apple would have changed this.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Mine is the same, I need to reconnect the car to the iPhone wifi each time I want to use it. But as that is rarely, I don't mind. I'm on 18D with ACP.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Get a new SIM for the car. It’s far less hassle and also uses the cars antenna on the roof so you will get a stronger signal.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Simon, I think you are right. It was just an idea as I have so much unused data on the phone.

I have got used to just getting in the car and live traffic works.

You would think it could auto connect just as a computer or phone does when in range of a known network.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Agree. I think maybe it’s a security feature of iOS that stops it auto connecting.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It seems to be linked to the car being totally shutdown or not.
    If the car has not been used for a few days then it is a problem.

It failed first thing this morning, or I did not wait long enough with the car stationary?

When we got back in the car after stopping for half an hour it connected perfectly with no intervention from me.

Does not matter now as I have ordered a SIM.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

SIM the easiest and most reliable way unless you have 18D which randomly turns off mobile data.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum