Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• maffffster
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Map Update

I'm new to the D5 (well a few months now) and i see that there is a map update and have seen a few comments from people saying "not another update" ... my question is

Is it really worth doing the updates ? and is it an easy process

thanks
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Yes, it's easy. Just time consuming to download to a USB stick and then upload to the car.

Is it worth doing? That depends on whether you use the sat nav a lot. If you just drive in your local area then no, there's no point. If you're going on a long journey to somewhere new then updating before you go seems sensible.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

That pretty much sums it up tbh.

It can take 6 plus hours to download, then another half hour to instal. I doubt. missing the odd update is going to be significant, not for me anyway.
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Thanks guys - i'll leave this update for now as the system was updated when i purchased the car a few months ago and not heading into Russia anytime soon lol
  • Labbix

You can check what is in the update, they mention the specific countries and mostly it is speed cams etc. so you can decide easily to update or not with this given info.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

mine took just under 2 hours to download to the memory stick, havent tried the upload to the car yet. I would guess mine has the original 2017 map installed as doubt the dealer updated it before selling to me last year.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Yes it is a full download every time as obviously the car could have any possible version installed.

The in car update is very fast by comparison, so I wonder if it only updates the appropriate files?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Its going for a 50 min drive over weekend so I'll set it going then Smile

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Showing my ignorance....

Why do we need a memory stick?

I had assumed (haven’t tried it ) that my car, which is connected to my fast home broadband when in the garage, could have communicated and downloaded direct?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

No you cannot do that, you need a 32Gb USB stick.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Re: Showing my ignorance....

Wolfpack wrote:
    Why do we need a memory stick?

I had assumed (haven’t tried it ) that my car, which is connected to my fast home broadband when in the garage, could have communicated and downloaded direct?

That would be far too simple for JLR lol

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    No you cannot do that, you need a 32Gb USB stick.

And a computer with a USB port.

Does this apply to ALL Discovery software updates or just Maps?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Most updates require a dealer visit although there are plans for OTA.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Maps tho come from the third party supplier to JLR, so will probably be via website and USB for the life of the D5.

Interesting though that JLR give 3 years maps, on my 2012 Volvo it was 3 dvds per update when i bought it, again for first 3 years, then they changed to download to USB and made it free for the life of the car.

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Ok I have failed miserably following the Landrover instructions.

Would some kind soul please explain what I am doing wrong and what I need to do?

I’ve stuck a clean formatted 32gb memory stick in the car, run the engine to presumable get a car footprint on it. Taken the stick to the PC having downloaded the installer updater software for LR. When I run the installer it goes through the basic set up and then does nothing.

Reading the blurb is refers to an ‘SD card’ going through the above process and the footprint from the car on the SD card is automatically recognised by the updater. Is the fact I am using a usb memory stick in some way causing an issue? Do I have to do something different with a memory stick to and SD CARD/

Would appreciate a step by step that I can check ...because I seem to be missing a part or step or something?

Thanks
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum