Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’ve got the LR one with the RLD one over the top (bottom) as well, same as Jack. Great service from Ray, it seemed to arrive seconds after I paid Very Happy

Sorry to you guys that are out of pocket for stolen wheels, it seems ludicrous that the D5 didn’t come with the security disc from the introduction of the model.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Labbix

UK is the only market where JLR does supply this anti theft piece... but of course the rest of the world is a whole lot safer Wink
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

To be honest, no matter what you’ve got, if the thief was determined enough, they’d over come any security.

If you make it pretty much impossible to get the spare, they could easily enough take a wheel or four from the vehicle without too much of a problem. You can get a full set of security keys for £60 or less.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

true, the same as caravan security...make someone elses seem a bit easier than your own Smile

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • KDP Villa
    United Kingdom 

Its a sad reality that all you can do is make it harder, in the hope that they’ll go elsewhere.

All I’d say is to anyone who hasn’t got some added security, don’t wait like I did Sad
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Dangerdave wrote:
    I’ve had an Uncle Ray spare wheel protector on my old D4. It was excellent.

My year old D5 has a similar factory LR plate protecting the spare wheel. It seems very good quality and I can’t see how anyone could nick the spare tbh. Therefore I didn’t feel the need to get a D5 Uncle Ray protector.

In fact, I got really close up and personal with it a couple of days ago. The spare needed some air in it to stop the low pressure light going off. I took the spare off and I had problems getting to it because of the wheel protector. I looked for any weakness in the design and couldn’t find one.

My spare wheel protector is quite substantial and has a thick coil spring on the bottom of the winch to prevent theft, not that a thief could access it even if they wanted to imho.

Dave, this intrigues me. The TPMS system is on a wireless protocol then? So if the wheel was stolen (or just not there) would the alarm not be present permanently? I have TPMS but no mention of the spare wheel comes up anywhere.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

It does when it decides the pressure is too low in the spare. A little amber light in the dash and some screed about check the spare pressure. It goes off once you get going.

Don’t know what would happen if I moved off without the spare that said. Didn’t try that.
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 

That's what I'm wondering. Technically there's no pressure so the light should come on, except it doesn't Very Happy
  • Labbix

I think if nothing is detected, nothing is shown as a spare tyre comes at an extra cost, at least here, so not everyone buys it. But I do follow your reasoning.
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 

Well, thanks to PowerFul, and RLD and a £500 ebay wheel and tyre (the same as the rest of the wheels), we're back rolling again.

On looking at the winch I pulled off, it had had the retrofit collar and guard, but that obviously wasn't enough.

If it was me, I would have designed the electrically deployable tow bar to retract with the ball hooked up inside the rear wheel, that way the wheel could be cut out, but wouldn't actually come out unless the tow bar was deployed, which they wouldn't be able to do. Obviously not very useful for those without an electrically deployable towbar Very Happy
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Good idea, but nothing stopping them lopping off the towballs head or shaft as well, with a grinder, to get access to the spare.

So be triple the cost to replace.

Maybe an electronically operated steel plate is required, like an electromagnetic, which requires power, so it will only be released at the touch of a button in the boot, when the car is actually started.

No power will render it virtually impossible to remove.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

Lucero, maybe you bought your own wheel and tyre again...
    Strange that in the UK it’s such a problem, to be honest I never even heard of it in South Africa (imagine), Belgium (what can I say) and Albania (but here they don’t steal, they just sell)
  • Disco Inferno
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Yulong White

Hi Folks,

Quick question: Should my new MY20 Disco have been fitted with the LR anti-theft plate as standard? Having read about the spare wheel thefts on this forum I had a check over the weekend and sure enough there's nothing there that looks like the plates in the photos.

Do you have to ask for them to fit one under campaign N071?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

My MY20 came with the LR plate. Added the Ray plate to it.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

It should come fitted with it.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum