Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Spare wheel theft

Seems to be pretty common as I found out tonight when the other half was reversing the car off the drive and I happened to look out of the window and see something different.

I know where it happened too, or pretty sure I know. When the car was parked at one of the Heathrow hotels. Pointless, arguably, pursuing the hotel or going through insurance as it will lead to nothing. Someone had an easy pay day, that's for sure. 22" inch smoked alloy with brand new tyre.

What I absolutely fail to see, is how this is allowed to happen. That design has been in place since the LR3 (Disco 3) and was mitigated many times through the D4's life cycle. How was it ever possible that the D5 was released with the same original fundamental design flaws.

I see there was a topix improvement for cars made after 2017 and that there is a V2 anti theft winch. I will be getting one of those and probably just a space saver wheel so that it's less desirable to the scotes of society....

Censored
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

There is a campaign N071 to fit an anti-theft device to the wheel, however I haven't bothered with it as I've fitted the RLD wheel protector that I used with my D4.

I'd recommend hopping over to disco4.com https://www.disco4.com/forum/spare-wheel-p...;start=615 and drop uncle Ray an email. He's a very nice chap and makes a better wheel protector than LR do. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

My dealer kindly removed my RLD and replaced with the (in my view) duff JLR disc, which is literally a disc that covers the inside of the wheel with the end of the winch sticking out through the bottom. Looks pretty easy to cut through the winch with the JLR improved one for my 2017 model.

For obvious reason, as soon as I noticed (only noticed since they'd put my RLD in the boot of the car) I swapped it back ASAP.

The RLD one is a heafty piece of kit and makes the winch completely inaccessible, so is exactly what JLR should have fitted in the first place!

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 

How does the RLD disc work? That, combined with the new v2 winch would certainly put people off.

I assume the fact you can lower the wheel from the boot with the RLD in place is what makes it work and when fitting, the RLD raises up with the spare wheel when the winch is wound up?
  • KDP Villa
    United Kingdom 

Unfortunately I have realised today that my spare has been swiped. Not sure when exactly but could have been whilst parked at Heathrow for a week recently. Could as easily been at home or supermarket etc.

Total cost to resolve is likely around £500, which includes a replacement (2nd hand) wheel, RLD cover and new winch.

Not a happy as you can imagine. Just wish I’d done something beforehand.

Also means I’ll be driving around for a few days with no spare, which clearly isn’t good.
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 

Yep, mine was definitely Heathrow. Someone got a nice pay day from us then Censored
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Lucero, how old is your car? It should either have had the recall update, or have been built with the plate (not sure exactly it became factory fit, sometime in 19my I think). When mine went in for the plate to be fitted, master tech said my RLD plate (which I had on previous D4) looked much more secure than the LR one, so the LR kit went in the boot in its box and is now in the garage, and RLD plate left in place. Vehicles fitted with LR plate are still having spares knicked, personally I would get a RLD plate fitted.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 

MY17/67 plate.

I had no disc on the rear wheel and looking at the winch (what's left of it) no collar either.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

lucero wrote:
    How does the RLD disc work? That, combined with the new v2 winch would certainly put people off.

I assume the fact you can lower the wheel from the boot with the RLD in place is what makes it work and when fitting, the RLD raises up with the spare wheel when the winch is wound up?

Its just a heavy duty disc, but with a raise mounting that the winch fits through, thus the winch is behind the plate and not accessible. Exactly how it should have been designed

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

• RLD
    United Kingdom 

Wheel protector

Yes i have them in this is the time when the scum are out but yes all year as well

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Trevorb1 wrote:
    Lucero, how old is your car? It should either have had the recall update, or have been built with the plate (not sure exactly it became factory fit, sometime in 19my I think). When mine went in for the plate to be fitted, master tech said my RLD plate (which I had on previous D4) looked much more secure than the LR one, so the LR kit went in the boot in its box and is now in the garage, and RLD plate left in place. Vehicles fitted with LR plate are still having spares knicked, personally I would get a RLD plate fitted.

MY18, March came fitted with it. Then received an email shortly afterwards from local dealer saying a plate was too be fitted.

I assume must have been one of the first batch to get fitted from the factory?

Mind you I did mention this too the dealer before I picked the car up, so it's possible that they fitted it, saving me a return visit.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had an Uncle Ray spare wheel protector on my old D4. It was excellent.

My year old D5 has a similar factory LR plate protecting the spare wheel. It seems very good quality and I can’t see how anyone could nick the spare tbh. Therefore I didn’t feel the need to get a D5 Uncle Ray protector.

In fact, I got really close up and personal with it a couple of days ago. The spare needed some air in it to stop the low pressure light going off. I took the spare off and I had problems getting to it because of the wheel protector. I looked for any weakness in the design and couldn’t find one.

My spare wheel protector is quite substantial and has a thick coil spring on the bottom of the winch to prevent theft, not that a thief could access it even if they wanted to imho.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

DD, am of the same opinion, that the LR one is more than substantial, and virtually tamperproof, unless they cut into it with an oxy acetylene blowtorch.

Will end up damaging the wheel and tyre, if they did ever manage too release it, but I can't see how they could.

I see you gave up and finally pumped the spare wheel up then. I gather the light on the dash was annoying you.

It's like you getting a ding in the door. Even though no one else notices it, you know it's there and it's annoying as hell Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

I didn’t like the way someone could just cut the winch lugs with a portable grinder on the LR plate so run that with the RLD one too.

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum