Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• dario dn
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

switching off completely interior courtesy lights nighttime

Hi to Everybody,
    I am a happy disco5 owner since july2018, my Disco5 is HSE 7 seats, 2L engine 240hp. I am having some issue with the car but mainly because assistance is quite poor.
    A question: did anybody find a way to switch completely off the courtesy lights nighttime? Even adopting stealth configuration remain always courtesy lights on. Assistance says that the lights are low but to my opinino and o those who travelled in my car they are far too high and disturbing.
    thanks in advance.
    Dario
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Just to be clear, which lights are you having a problem with? What I'd call the courtesy lights (i.e. the ones in the roof) should be off completely whilst you're driving. These lights are turned on and off by touching them and can be permanently enabled / disabled by touching them and until the light flashes.

Quote:
    Interior lighting locations and operation:

Front seat footwell lights: Automatically illuminate when the doors are opened.

Glovebox lights: Illuminate when the upper or lower glovebox is opened.

Front interior courtesy light: To switch on or off, touch the centre of the lens briefly. To switch automatic illumination on or off, touch the lens until the light flashes. In auto mode, the lights illuminate when a door is opened.

NOTES
    To complete operation, move the finger at least 20 mm from the lens.

Front reading lights: Move a finger close to, or touch, the relevant lens to switch on or off.

Vanity mirror light: Slide the cover open or closed to switch on or off.

Door puddle lights: Illuminate when the doors are opened.

Storage compartment lighting: Controlled by the settings of the front interior courtesy light. See STORAGE COMPARTMENTS.

Rear seat footwell lights: Automatically illuminate when the doors are opened.

Rear reading lights: Press the relevant button to switch on or off.

Rear interior courtesy light: Illuminates when a door is opened. The rear interior courtesy light is controlled by the settings of the front interior courtesy light.

Rear interior lights: Illuminate when the doors are opened. Press to switch on or off.

Loadspace lights: Illuminate when the tailgate is opened

Or do you mean other lights?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • dario dn
    Italy 

Ciao JonM,
    many thanks for your reply.

I am referring to the courtesy lights (front and rear) not the reading lights and only nighttime (of course when somebody is in the car) these courtesy lights do not switch completely off but remain on at a lower intensity (only nighttime) but still too strong, the car dealer says they remain on nighttime to drive passengers to find them.
    do you have the same problem and did you find a way to completely switch them off?
    thanks in advance for the help.
    ciao
    Dario
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I am not sure what you are calling courtesy lights?

Where exactly on the car are you talking about?
  • dario dn
    Italy 

ciao Jimbg,
    referring to the set of 3 lights you can find in front on the roof close to the rearview mirror and just beneath the bottoms of the sunroofs, the small middle light between the reading lights and also in the rear ones (placed all on the roof). I am trying to attach 2 pictures with the lights on but it gives error in uploading to gallery. daytime they go off after a while the doors are closed, nighttime the middle light (both in the front and in the rear ones, placed on the roof) just reduce the intensity but remain on and too strong.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Those are completely off when driving (both day and night). There is a very small low power LED that shines a faint light down on the gear knob, but that is all.

It is possible to set them to stay on but I've never tried so I don't know if they would then behave as you've described. If you touch the light when it is dimmed does it turn fully on or off?

Try touching and holding the light for a few seconds until it flashes. See what happens, you'll either switch them in to Auto mode or manual mode. If it makes things worse just do it again to switch back.

If that doesn't help, then I'd say you've got an electrical fault and need a trip to the dealership. ☹️

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

There is a very small low power LED that shines a faint light down on the gear knob, but that is all.
    => I thought only the lux has this one?

But correct, all the rest is totally off when driving at night or day
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

My HSE is as Labbix describes.
  • dario dn
    Italy 

the lights that stays on only nighttime are fainter but still too strong, my family complain about them nighttime. I have followed all indications to try to switch them off also with Land Rover official dealer where I bought the car but it is like that and they say it is the way the car is done, therefore no official way to to switch it completely off during night, even in stealth mode. It might be a particular configuration for the Italian Market??
    I was trying to find in the forum if anybody had found a solution
  • Labbix

I believe the dealer and maybe even his importer are telling you absolute crap, I wouldn’t believe this answer. I know cars are different in each market, but I’m pretty sure the setup of the interior lights is everywhere the same. Can’t you contact another Italian dealer and verify, even just on the phone?
  • dario dn
    Italy 

I will do it today Labbix, thanks for the support
  • Labbix

Maybe try to PM ‘Mcoy’ he was quite active here before and he is from ‘near Milano’ says his profile.
  • Labbix

This was his latest posting, not too happy either:

I HOPE TO GET RID OF IT SOON!
  • dario dn
    Italy 

I am happy about the Disco5 even if it is a bit too expensive for the bundle that offers and I had few issues and above all Land Rover assistance I found was really poor.
    Issues I had are:
    - suspensions are available only at normal height due to some problems, it still has to be fixed since Land Rover dealer gave me an appointment after 3 weeks I called on a date that was few days before lock down and they canceled it;
    - automatic gears software works really bad when trying to accelerate steeply and moving to next gear manually: it keeps on staying at high rpm even if it sounds it is changing gear and therefore it should decrease rpm and push strongly but it doesn't
    - hatchback sometimes does not open since it is slightly touching the base, the right hand side facing the hatchback when standing outside;
    - the 2 small plastic pieces covering the guides of the driver's seat you have close to your feet when seating on the rear seats do not stay at their place
    - moulding of the upright close to the driver (the outside upright to the left (from the driver point of view) of windscreen) came off and hung from one side.
  • Labbix

These I have as well (my18 model):
    - hatchback touching the base: left side on mine
    - the 2 small plastic pieces covering the guides of the driver's seat you have close to your feet when seating on the rear seats do not stay at their place: with me it’s passenger side and second row

Anyhow, my car is going this week as we will move to Tanzania, right hand driving over there, and still wondering if I would/should buy a new D5 or go for the new Defender.

I really liked the D5, it drives very well, way better than the D4, but it’s a bit too expensive for all the small niggles, and I hope the Defender has had more quality tests and has less software issues...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum