Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

max099 wrote:
    winger: that's in the dark. In the dayligh it is nearly impossible to see the small lateral lights.
    Seriously, there are so many idiots on the roads which don't even see normal lights, let alone that so called brake lights of the D5. It's just stupid and careless what LR did.

Wtf, you are making your car purchase decision based on brake lights, i don't think in all the cars i have bought, have i ever considered or looked at the brake lights Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Yeah, exactly: WTF?
    I never looked at the brake lights before ordering a car either, and I didn't do it now. There just was no need to. But not a single one (of the many cars I have owned) had such miserable braking lights. This is dangerous!

SWMBO saw it too and said she won't drive such a car, especially not with the kids. So yes, I think it probably will be the first car order in my life that I'll cancel.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

You think?
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

I think I must be in a parrellel universe, maybe i will wake up soon Smile
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

No, this is what it will be like post-Brexit
  • PeterW
    England 

Copied from another site/post.....

"Having followed a D5 t'other day I can confirm the brake lights are bright. I'd say brighter than "the greatest vehicle in the world" (the D3). They are small and bright which might make them seem brighter than a bigger light, of course.

Whatever, they are more than adequate."

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well if u can't see something infront of you which has a rear as big as the channel tunnels entrance, you shouldn't be on the road!!! Trip to specsavers me thinks. Failing that a wraparound bull bar on the rear may be what's needed Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
  • APCo
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

PeterW wrote:
    Copied from another site/post.....

"Having followed a D5 t'other day I can confirm the brake lights are bright. I'd say brighter than "the greatest vehicle in the world" (the D3). They are small and bright which might make them seem brighter than a bigger light, of course.

Whatever, they are more than adequate."

So, I saw this supposed issue as I waited to pick mine up, it seemed to be a realistic gripe when you look at the rear light clusters. However, as above, I have followed my own and can confirm that they are bloody bright and plenty good enough in the UK spec. I have no issues with them at all. if this puts you of the car then sobeit but you will miss out on a superb vehicle for absolutely no good reason at all.
  • max099
    Austria 

I would also be interested in a mod to have at least the US spec brake lights... anyone got some news on that?

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Martin
    Site Admin and Owner
    United Kingdom 

Spotted a "66" plate development car today which appeared to have twin brake lights in the outer clusters, stacked on top of each other. Basically double what is on cars at the moment.

Might be an old spec lamp that didn't make it, or may be a sign of a change to come?

06 D3 SE / 15 D90 XS SW / 88 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 TI
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

I don’t see the issue here.
    They are very bright and there is the top led bar

The reversing light is more of an issue for me
  • Martin
    Site Admin and Owner
    United Kingdom 

Just reporting what I saw.

06 D3 SE / 15 D90 XS SW / 88 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 TI
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Were there not some posts in the early days about the production cars having different lights to the prototype cars?
  • max099
    Austria 

Yup, prototypes (and american versions?) had 2 lines of brake lights, production cars came with just one small line, more like a dot.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I saw this in the flesh when the D5 was first released and shouted to a mate that his tailgate wasn’t closed properly, as he moved off my drive I opened and closed the tailgate expecting the stop lamp to illuminate.

12 Months on and I bought one so it couldn’t have registered as a deal breaker for me.

low and behold the very same day I picked mine up my wife drove behind and she rang me in the car. “Ere, I don’t think your brake lights are working” she said,

? Can you see this when I brake, was my question to her, what did you do that for or words to that effect cane through the cars speakers.

They’re small but bright, I’ve not thought about the legalities of it or being stopped by the police,

I have reversed in a very dark car park with the shockingly poor reverse lights, which then got me thinking....... ?

Could I some how fashion front lower fog lights with their curvature into either side of the rear lower bumper to air illumination when going backwards, The answer was a NO !
    But I’m sure some clever bodger will now be using their expertise to make this work, Just remember !

You saw it here first Whistle

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum