Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• John C
    United Kingdom 

I bought my car online from Rockar in London - I spoke to them yesterday about some warranty work - they have the parts in stock for this fix - might be worth you speaking to them - not sure it's a million miles from you?

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Jarse
    Australia 

The recall is going out in Oz this week. Dealers have stock of the stud, but the tool to install won't be available till "mid Feb". Allegedly.

In light of the Takata airbag disaster, dealers in Oz are trying to hold on to cars affected by the recall (even if you go in for something minor, like an adblue topup), unless you sign a disclaimer from JLR. I found that out yesterday when I rang the dealer.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

well as expected the recall has yet to arrive in Canada! That said I had the problem sorted about a year ago, but knowing my dealer they will do the work anyway once the issue gets triggered.. Happy new : year everyone Very Happy

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • aeg102
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Mine failed with the exact symptoms of OP at 4000 miles in Jul 2019. Got recovered, dealer spent weeks trying things, including new loom, gave me it back, failed on way home! I looked myself and found an extremely loose earth stud, tightened it and it worked fine for 6 months, then did it again.

Dealer said there was a an official repair released that day (Jan 20), which basically seemed to involve a new hole, earth stud, some sand paper and a big washer!

Been fine ever since...until 3 weeks ago when then engine failed at 50k, just having a new one, but no ETA on Turbos which are also required! Still, the LR Assist RRS Autobiography is quite nice.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

My 2020 HSE Lux has just in the last 5 days, developed most of the symptoms mentioned previously. Fortunately it is booked in tomorrow morning for the N400 fix, so I am hoping that this will fix, what has up till now, been an excellent car - unlike my 2017 HSE Lux which had the maladies known to the earlier version plus steering / tracking issues. Fingers crossed !!
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

I would turn off the auto-stop start when driving to the dealers tomorrow, just so you don’t shut down at traffic lights/junctions, unable to restart!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • B McP
    Scotland 

Good idea - it nearly stalled at a roundabout earlier today Sad
  • d.may
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Dead car

I have a 67 late HSE Luxury and have had dead car issues for the past 15 months. LR assist sent a guy out to me when I couldn't get it started and he changed the battery and moved the earth to another point - not to a new riveted post though. I bought a NOCO Boost XL which I keep in the car when I go out. I've had 13 failures in this time so the purchase was well worth it. It's an intermittent issue and LR have looked for the problem twice, however they haven't been able to reproduce the fault. LR would like to keep the car for a week to see if they can reproduce the problem but I said what's the point, it's now not failed since Nov 19th and any 7 day period since then wouldn't have reproduced the fault.
    I've had the low battery, start engine fault pretty much since I bought the car. Very annoying but I guess I've got to live with it.
  • mack1979
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I'm not going to speak too soon, but the earth stud was done properly by LR Bucks (unlike the bodge by LR Slough), car still had issues, turns out the battery (only replaced 6 months ago) is now showing faults, so looks like if you have dodgy earth it damages the battery and you'll also need battery replacing. Mine is working OK, but it's been intermittent so not holding my breath this is the end of it.

New D5 HSE 3l SD6 MY20. Black and all the black options!
    Old: (sold) D4 MY11 3.0l SDV6 (black obviously)
  • B McP
    Scotland 

I had the proper LR fix for the earth stud - made an appointment - took the car in for that time - had a cup of coffee and a biscuit - the work was completed in 20 minutes - never had any issues since.
  • mack1979
    United Kingdom 

Well definitely spoke too soon. Not actually failed but still getting constant low battery warnings and various features like the interior lights won't work because the battery is too low. Its starting to churn turning over the engine so I expect it to fail to start again shortly.

• mack1979
    United Kingdom 

Well definitely spoke too soon. Not actually failed but still getting constant low battery warnings and various features like the interior lights won't work because the battery is too low. Its starting to churn turning over the engine so I expect it to fail to start again shortly.

• DiscoScotty5
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Hello all, sorry for jumping onto this thread after it’s been dead for a while, my new (to me) 2017 HSE Lux has developed an interesting fault, it will intermittently go dead. So drove to work on Monday, totally fine, no errors and I even got 40.2mpg over my 30mile cross country commute. Got to work and an hour later needed something from the car, went to open using the keyless entry and nothing, fished the remote out from my pocket and nothing. Got the key blade out and open the drivers door using the manual key and the alarm went off and I had to quickly put the rest of the key fob next to the steering column and press the start button to stop the remote, but the rest of the car is still dead. RAC came out and managed to get the car to unlock, then disconnected the battery and reconnected, suddenly car starts and all seems well. The systems gradually came back to life and after arriving home everything seemed fine. Tuesday morning (this morning) opened the car put my presentation banners in the car, locked it to go back into the house, 5mins later went outside and nothing again, dead! Used the key blade, opened the door and the alarm went off. Got my stuff and took the wife’s RRS to work. What the hell is going on? Any ideas would be most welcome, I’ve had the car just over 2 weeks. The dealer (Mercedes Benz south west) is coming out on Thursday to have a look and possibly recover.

Last edited by DiscoScotty5 on 13th Mar 2024 1:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Have you had the battery ground strap checked?
  • DiscoScotty5
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Hi Ronbo,

No not yet. Is this something that I can do as a DIY? I’m assuming (I know that’s a bad thing to do) the strap is in the boot by the battery.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum