Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

eelpout wrote:
    Evo - "Unless you need seven seats a Defender does the Disco’s job better"

and which job might that be? is the Defender 130 out, did I miss the launch??

I had a new Defender as a courtesy car when my Defender was being serviced. It is incredible off road and I love the interior - I'm even considering buying a Hard Top 90 so my Puma 90 can be retired before I trash it around the farm too much - but whilst it rides beautifully and is obviously unstoppable off road it is clearly more utilitarian both inside and out than the Discovery. However when you start speccing, for the same engine and similar trim, the new Defender comes out more expensive.

What he says is however true to a point and many Land Rover fans have been saying it long before the new Defender came to take a slice of Discovery's pie - there is too much overlap in the Land Rover stable of vehicles and they are stealing sales from themselves.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

All manufacturers have a range of cars and they ‘overlap’, people like choice.
    As for comparing the Disco to the Defender I think it is just lazy journalism, they are different cars for clearly different markets.
    When I was looking to replace my current D5 the choice was between the RRS and new D5, now the customer base between those two has overlapped. I looked at a Defender but it was no a serious option as a replacement.

Basically the reviews are, we haven’t really got anything to say so let’s pretend it’s the same as the Defender.

2021 D5 Dynamic HSE on order to replace my ‘ageing’ 2018 D5 HSE
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

In my book Disco, Defender and even RRS are basically all the same cars if specced the same.

It's all about apperance and little esle. The Defender pretends to be different which it is not, same for the RRS. The Disco sits right in the middle of the pack and therefore makes most sense of them all.

I haved owned three RRS, two Discoverys and two Defenders and seriously wanted to go for the new Defender but honestly IMHO the Disco makes much more sense, unless you really need to have that tail gate with the spare wheel.

It could be that once the Defender mania has cooled down D5 sales will go up considerably.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

@Roli

Defender - utilitarian focused, with 5+2 option for the occasional jaunt. Suitable for both farm and urban/short journey lifestyles.
    Discovery - Family focused, a true luxury '7 seater' for active/practical families.
    RRS - Lifestyle SUV, with a bit more space, but mainly luxury focussed. 5+2 seating option dropped (but that was totally unusable anyway unless you were a midget, I had it on my old RRS.)

The three have very different audiences and target groups. On paper they share 'capabilities' and can be specced with similar levels of equipment, but on a practical level they are 3 very different propositions.

• Roli
    Switzerland 

Have a 5 seater Disco and spec it like you would a five seater Defender and there is very little difference bar the looks. In fact the Disco is more practical because its larger.

There is nothing really utilitarian about the Defender and I doubt many farmers would buy it for hard work. It's meant for yuppies and digital natives and LR did a brilliant job at that.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

There is no such thing as a '5 seater disco', all Disco's (bar the commercial) are 7 seater and sold as 7 seater family life vehicles. That's the point. LR have moved the Disco away from the 5 seater utilitarian market by it being 7 seater and full of standard luxury kit. If you want/need a 5 seater you go for something else in the range. If I didn't need the 7 seats, there's no way I'd be buying a Disco.

You point about yuppies and digital natives is just stereotyping. There will be an element of those people (who 'need' the latest greatest hyped product), but the vast majority of Defender buyers won't be them and once the hype dies down the clear distinction will be there. The Defender has plastic 'wash down' footwells and exposed frames, a hinged back door and wash down boot. Sure it's not a like for like 'old' defender replacement, but it's there to fill a Defender/D4 hybrid of vehicle need.

Horses for very different courses.

• Roli
    Switzerland 

As for a 5 seater Disco not being available have a look at all the LR websites on the continent.... but who cares.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

I didn't realise it was just the UK where the 7 seats were standard (no 5 seat option available) and sold/marketed on it being the "versatile seven seater", and the Defender is sold/marketed as it's "capable of great things", to two different markets.

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Seems that way, mine's a 5 seater. The extra 2 seats would have been a $5,000 option before taxes. Considering I used the ones in the D4 only twice in the 3 years before ordering the D5, I thought my money was better spent on options I do use.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

Went for a 5 seater for the very same reasons and you get a much larger additional hidden storage compartment to boot, it's about 200 litres.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

not 100% sure, but think the last 5 seater Discovery in the UK was the Disco 1....may have been some D2 that were, but most of those were 7 seater too (aww that TD5 engine lol)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

The Disco 1 definitely had 7 seats on the ES trim but not sure about lower spec. I remember my parents picking me up from school to go an collect ours. Epsom green with cream interior. Was lovely.

Today is apparently the day my D5 gets built. I'm used to things not going to plan so have avoided getting excited about it....
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Quite right, Thumbs Up I’ve heard people say, “so many sleeps ....” I’ve never got to that point with a new car, it’s a lump of metal, if I did, I’d expect someone to put me out of my misery.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum