Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• John C
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:

1. In their infinite wisdom, Land Rover have (for some unknown reason!) made those switches part of the 'child lock' button, which I activated as soon as I got in the car (hence why they were dead as a dodo when I tried to use them).

Took me ages to work that out too... Not sure how young (or annoying) your kids are, but I quite like the fact they can't fiddle with it. I must have remembered incorrectly, but I thought it was just the recline function that was linked to the child lock, but the fold function isn't?

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

mwsedgwick wrote:
    Something I noticed on mine today was that there is no sunglasses holder in the usual place (top centre near spa buttons). Instead I have what looks like a gloss plastic cover that doesn't open

Anyone else notice this?

Yup, same here. No cubby for the sunnies. I wasn't sure if that was a Disco thing or a Facelift Disco thing, because I used to have one on my RRS.

John C wrote:
    I thought it was just the recline function that was linked to the child lock, but the fold function isn't?

New for MY21> apparently (according to my dealer yesterday), the buttons on the top of the 2nd row outer seats are now also linked to the Child Lock switch.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

how annoying, that you would have to switch off the child locks to allow passengers in and out of the 3rd row....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Am sure on lower specs there is a holder for glasses, but the higher specs house the front cameras, rear entertainment IR stuff, and also the modules for automatic garage door and gate opening.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    how annoying, that you would have to switch off the child locks to allow passengers in and out of the 3rd row....

Surely the solution would be for them to code it so that the switches didn't work with the doors shut so kids can't fiddle when in transit. Once a rear door is opened, the switches can then be activated.
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Am sure on lower specs there is a holder for glasses, but the higher specs house the front cameras, rear entertainment IR stuff, and also the modules for automatic garage door and gate opening.

Just checked my S spec and there’s no sun glasses holder , just a gloss black panel which doesn’t open .

2021 D250 S Eiger Grey HSW Privacy Hi/Low Ratio
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

Disappointing, how much will LR save by doing away with that holder. a quid or two?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Not even that much, 50p or less I’d say. Still it all mounts up! Rolling with laughter
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Farmerben wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:

Surely the solution would be for them to code it so that the switches didn't work with the doors shut so kids can't fiddle when in transit. Once a rear door is opened, the switches can then be activated.

My understanding is there are(were?) sensors in the seats which detects if anybody is in them, which in turn deactivates the switches anyway, so this new 'feature' seems pointless, it's as if it was thought up and signed off by somebody who doesn't have kids...! Neutral

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Windy Miller wrote:

We were all set to go Elgar with black wheels, but when the dealer tried to sell me this unregistered pre-facelift car that was in Carpathian & bi-colour wheels my partner and I both fell in love with the colour and decided to spend the extra we were going put into black wheels, instead into the extra needed for Carpathian. It works so well against the black accents and bi-colour wheels, it gives it a touch of class...

Great choice Smile ...even better with a black roof

Andrew
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

A few more thoughts now I have some miles with it under my belt. We had a long trip out in it yesterday, the first time fully loaded (4 kids and paraphernalia!), with a bit of night driving as well. All in all the kids were very impressed, they all commented how smooth and relaxing the drive was, which was good (no "how long before we're home daddy?"!

1. Matrix 'Adaptive Beam'. WOW! I've driven cars with matrix headlights before, but this is a step-up. The progressives cones of beam that change & project automatically are awesome. The beam cameras continually check the light conditions and road type and adjusts/throws light accordingly. You can see it happening in-front of you, and it's not a flick of a switch change, it's a subtle shape throw. These are different level! Cool

2. Sport Mode. I wasn't expecting much here TBH, so I hadn't flicked the lever back to engage. Given the normal drive mode is already punchy, I thought I'd do a bit of a test at a traffic light grand prix. Whilst there's no huge 'shove', it certainly gets the car going a lot quicker, and revs strong! I was quite shocked. A nice little addition.

3. Brakes. Bit a of a disappointment. I'm not sure if it's because the brakes are still bedding in, but they certainly don't 'bite' that hard. You have to press them with some force and quite ahead of time. Is this normal for the D5?!? I don't recall them being this bad on my old RRS, but perhaps that's because they had Brembos and this seemingly doesn't?

4. Child-lock button which is now linked to 2nd row buttons. Dear god what a Censored inconvenience and security risk this is!

Pull-up, stop the engine, get out, unload kids from 2nd row, go to unload kids from 3rd row and realise you've not pressed the child-lock button. Go back to press child-lock button to deactivate, and realise the ignition has shut down which you need on to use the child-lock button. Reach in and press ignition/start button on dash, but it says key is too far away (even though it's in your pocket!) so you get key out of pocket, press ignition/start button to activate button, press child-lock button, press ignition button again to turn off. Go to back row and unload children.

When you've finished for the day, you return to the car and load all the children into the car, forget that to get kids into third row the child-lock button had to be switched off, start driving away, look round to see eldest son has opened the door!

I am writing a formal email of complaint to LR. It's utter utter madness that I have to press the child lock button each time I need to access the 3rd row. My understanding is the 2nd row have sensors in them to detect if somebody is sat in them which shuts off the switches, so this shouldn't be necessary. Evil or Very Mad

5. Eco. We average 35mpg across the day (mix of A-roads and motorway), and I wasn't hanging around coming home last night.

All-in-all, still very happy (apart from the buttons!). Thumbs Up

Last edited by Windy Miller on 7th Apr 2021 10:39 am. Edited 1 time in total

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

You’ve got your hands full there. Is the wife driving or you got the photo the wrong way round?

Last edited by Darras on 5th Apr 2021 12:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

One of the reasons I have ordered a HSE is for the Matrix lights. I am pleased that you are impressed with yours.
    Engine sounds impressive.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Darras wrote:
    You’ve got your hands full there. Is the wife driving or you got the photo the wrong way round?
    iPhone camera flip. I was driving. Very Happy

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:
    One of the reasons I have ordered a HSE is for the Matrix lights. I am pleased that you are impressed with yours.

I read a lot on the forums/groups of how the HSE isn't worth it, and the SE is 'just as good' etc. But the HSE is IMO the sum of many parts;

Matrix Headlights,
    Adaptive Cruise
    3 electric seat rows
    Dash, door and tunnel materials
    Meridian surround system
    Power tailgate
    Windsor leather
    Cabin lighting
    Leather steering wheel
    20 way heated and cooled seats

Plus much more, which IMO all create a much more luxurious feel on a car that lets face it isn't cheap in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the SE, it's why it exists, but I struggle to understand people who say the HSE isn't worth it. Smile

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum