Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I know my service manager outside of the dealership and knew him prior to buying any LR's as such I trust what he says and he has always looked after us, When my car was 3 years old I spoke to him about warranty and the best way to go and this was his advise.
    I cannot tell you what to do and am not allowed to tell you. However If I had to take out a warranty there would be no choice it would be the LR extended warranty all the way. He went on to say that not everything is covered, crank for instance, however LR will look at each case, case by case and so far I have not heard of any claim being made not being fully covered. This may mean that the warranty company pays a chunk and then LR pay the rest as a good will gesture but it is always fully covered..
    Where as the other companies first want you to pay for inspections and diagnosis up front, which you may get back later. You then have to submit a claim and wait for this to be approved, if it is approved then the work can go ahead. This can and often does take weeks. In the mean time LR warranty/LR goodwill have paid out and the repairs are done and you have the car back.
    Its a no brainer as such I have LR warranty and piece of mind.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Thanks Russell. Am new to all this car warranty malarky as this is the first time I have ever extended or kept a car longer than 3 years from new. Like my Mrs says it's not a cheap car to start with so better going with the LR warranty. End of the day it's her car, her money. I was just trying to save a few ££££'s.

Yes I agree, the LR one seems to be virtually the same as the cars initial warranty, plus at least they will have the original parts and tools as opposed to a 3rd party garage which may not have all the proper parts and tools. It seems alot better as well as we cant be bothered with all the hassle faffing about getting quotes etc. Leave that for the garage to sort out, as thats what your paying them for.

(Only extended warranty we have ever taken out is on a washing machine, which paid for itself. After 4.5 years we got a brand new machine which cost £1000. Was an initial 2 year plus 3 for an extra £99, with a like for like replacement. As machines on 3 times daily with a high spin speed, from previous machines experience,we opted for the extra warranty, and it paid off).

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • davidls
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Carpathian Grey

LR warranty it is then.

2018 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, Black Roof Rails, 21” 9 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloy Wheels, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Detachable Towbar, Air Ioniser, Side Steps
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

And the above reinforces why I went for the LR warranty.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for the advice guys. LR warranty it is.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Interesting. I agree there’s no point in having a warranty if it doesn’t pay out or takes forever. That apart, I’ve heard the odd one or two horror stories about the LR warranty. I suppose youse pays your money ....

As for the washing machine, I’ve got a Miele with a 10 year warranty, by which time if it craps out, you’ve probably got fed up of it anyway. They defo aren’t the brand to have out of warranty! I think it’s £250 plus standard rate for a repair that guaranteed 3 months. Maybe it LR rebranded. Wink
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Ten year warranty miele here too. This one, from 2016, does not have half the bullet proof feel of my old 2018 one. Only got rid of that one as it eased a house sale.

Interesting thoughts on the warranties here and I would probably take the LR one given the last few posts. A while to go before I have to decide but certainly would not self insure a disco.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Ha ha I had a Miele also a good few years back. Was the Rolls Royce of washing machines back then. Only issue was a 5kg drum, and with a growing family, was far too small. Been through Bosch, Siemens and Dyson which have all been very good. Now have a 12kg Direct Drive machine. No traditional motor or belt like a normal machine and whisper quiet. It's got a 10 year warranty for the invertor motor. Tumble dryer and FF also have 10 years on the motor and compressor.
    With white goods my experience is that if you buy cheap you will buy twice. A machine costing say £250 with a C or D energy rating may be a bargain compared to a AAA+ machine costing £500, but the extra energy used due to its cheaper, noisier, less efficient parts will probably cost you more in the long term, provided it doesnt shake itself to bits before then.
    Our dryers were always Indesit who are now owned by Hotpoint. They too offer free 5 year cover on the parts, but you have to pay for their engineer. The call out charges are a rip off, so much so, that it works out cheaper buying a new unit and get a years warranty with it, instead of having 2 hours with the engineer. Just a gimmick in my opinion. I still have a brand new boxed hotpoint which was recalled due to fire issues.
    My old wm and dryer are in the basement, as Mrs refuses to put my oily boilers in the newer machines. I still have my grandparents Twin Tub Rolls Rapide washing machine, which still works. Anyone remember them Laughing
    Apologies for going of topic but it is warranty related Thumbs Up

• Whippetman
    England 

Twin tubs fantastic in their day!
    Was there a wringer on the side or a stand alone wringer.
    Also remember the Burco boiler and the Flatley cabinet with wooden rods to dry the clothes. Very Happy Very Happy

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

The Miele I’ve got has a 9kg load.

Ever tried moving one? They are about twice as heavy as a normal machine.

Yeah, as for the car, one moment I think I’ll take my chances, next I am thinking maybe not. I don’t rely on that car, it’s just there for the odd day SWMBO wants to go out shopping. Can’t say I love driving, it’s a means to an end.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Whippetman wrote:
    Twin tubs fantastic in their day!
    Was there a wringer on the side or a stand alone wringer.
    Also remember the Burco boiler and the Flatley cabinet with wooden rods to dry the clothes. Very Happy Very Happy

Whippetman, it was the actual twin tub with the wringer attached to it. Am sure it must have been bought in the 50's or 60's as i was still a nipper in the late 70's. I remember what i called the spiders web round plastic ring which you used to put in the spinner on top of the clothes.

Yes we had a wooden clothes horse i remember that too, but never heard of Burco or Flately. How things have changed. My mum had a Zanussi which lasted for 25 years. The new one lasted a year if that. Unfortunately back in the day, stuff was made to last. However if a machine lasted 25 years now the company would go bankrupt. Everything is engineered to last about 5 years, as its all disposable stuff now. We are encouraged to throw away and buy new. However in last weeks paper i was reading that we may be forced to repair items and manufacturers are going to be told to give longer guarantees, as so much waste appliances going to landfill etc. Just like cars nowadays all plastic, unlike older cars chrome bumpers etc and seemed alot more robust.

Darras, the dual drum contrarotator Dyson we had weighed either 90 or 95kg. That was a beast of a machine 9kg drum.

Our Miele was a wedding present in 2000 and they only came in 5kg back then.

Lg are doing a 14kg drum now, so thats next on the shopping list as easy do a kingsize duvet.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Warranty Direct is back selling to the public. I’d have to look at the fine print, but £420 for 12 months, zero contribution and the AA.

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Quoted 440 per annum with 50 quid excess on mine.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Strange, as it’s an insurance basically, I wonder if it’s down to the postcode although I can’t see why it should be.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

£580 with £150 excess on my 2017 Td6 with 45,000 miles on clock. If I take the excess to zero so as more of a comparison to LR, then premium increases to £928.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum